• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus firearms

tcmech

I have a Taurus .22LR pump carbine...no problems; Taurus 681 .22 WMR....no problems; Taurus .45ACP Pro ...no problems; Taurus .22LR revolver (can't remember model numbers)...big problem: After shooting it about 10 times the cylinder wouldn't rotate and actually locked making it almost impossible to open and remove the rounds. I shipped it to Taurus in Florida for a whopping $50 (never reimbursed by Taurus) and two months later it returns. No paperwork of any kind in the package, no explanation as to what was wrong, nothing. That is NOT good customer service.

Would I buy another Taurus? Doubtful. I stick to Rugers mostly and have several dozen with absolutely no problems of any kind in the 31 years I have been buying Rugers.

Thats kind of ironic, the only gun I ever had to send back to a company to have it fixed was a ruger mk 2. Not only did they not fix it the first time they still did not read the reason that I sent the gun back the second time.

If it were not for me calling them to discuss this with their customer service they would have sent it back to me still broken the second time. As it is they replaced the gun and I have had no further problems with it.

Just so you know I have 4 ruger handguns and one rifle, and I would probably buy another one.

hogeaterf6

The wife bought a Taurus ultra light mod 85 revolver, used. We shot 50 rounds the night she got it. No flaws found. Growing up, there were not good guns. I believe they have gotten alot better then years ago. Then again i know nothing about there autos. I always heard Bersa was a junk gun. I own a 380 & 40 in Bersa. Love them. The local guy supplies our police force with Bersa's for back ups. I shouldnt say supply but most have bought them for b/u.

REALteach4u

I'm usually one of the first ones to jump down the throat of this issue, but...

I always stress that IF you manage to get a good Taurus product that it's worth hanging on to until it breaks.

A lot of the problems I've been seeing a lot of stemmed from the PT series of their semiautomatics, I've not been able to witness as much of a problem since they started the 24/7 line of PT's, specifically the Millenium. Those do seem better. It's also been quite bad with everything revolver under Taurus, and I do mean everything.

I had a PT145 Millenium come into the range portion of a class recently. Same problem I had with mine, shooting 7-12 inches low and 2 inches left at just 21 feet. We had to aim at the head to get a center mass shot and that's not good at all folks. Fortunately I've confirmed that the 24/7 was dead-on with another student as his was just fine. However, I failed that student and didn't check the casings on the PT145 Millenium to see if they were oval shaped like mine had been, I did warn the student to dump it and get something else even if it was the 24/7.

Even my Tracker 22 heavy's that I bought recently were of issue. I went through 3 new pistols just to find one that was just right and one that was good enough to pass safety checks. The other one was really bad. Don't get me started on the crap they're putting the Judge name on either, that stuff is starting to tank rather quickly. I'm so heart broken of the sloppiness of the Raging Judge as I've yet to find one that has good lock-up and isn't shearing copper on just one side (much different than copper shedding, shearing is actually dangerous and a ka-boom waiting to happen).

I just don't get what's going on with them, other than crappy quality control and even crappier customer service once it's sent in. They had produced some fantastic copies in the late 80's and early 90's then it all started down the spiral when they picked up the Rossi label. I've been seeing everything from metal pieces hanging down in the bore, bad guide/ejector rods, bad cylinders, mis-cut cylinders, really sloppy lock-up, 16 pound DA trigger pulls, and even cylinders that won't turn on Taurus revolvers lately.

Last edited: