• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Template to put Chiefs of Police or Sheriffs in Washington on notice about the law of open carry

Richard6218

imported post

team one wrote:
A better analogy, would be, that a contractor was doing some work, went to the doorway of the kitchen in which you were preparing a sandwich, saw a large butcher knife in a knife block in front of you, sitting on the counter, and turned around and ran away from fear of the butcher knife. He may be alarmed, but, no, it doesn't warrant alarm.
Yours is closer to the gun scenario but I still say the dog is the same as a gun or knife as we have been using the examples.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Was not this thread about a Template to put Chiefs of Police or Sheriffs in Washington on notice ?

I must be on the wrong forum:what:

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Was not this thread about a Template to put Chiefs of Police or Sheriffs in Washington on notice ?

I must be on the wrong forum:what:
The number of threads on almost all forums that stays on track is way less than .0001%. It's like any conversation, it morphs as it goes along. Why do people get so bent over a perfectlynormal happenstance?

ScottRL63

imported post

Hello all. I was reading the tacoma news tribune this morning and i came across the article, Some pistol-packers dont conceal firearms. I didnt know it was legal to wear it openly. Hmm i have never seen anyone wearing, in public, a weapon on his or her waist. Well i have a question for all of you. I bow hunt, can i LEGALLY carry a concealed pistol while hunting for deer or elk? I keep getting told no. I have spent the last 2 hours reading posts here and have learned alot. Thank You for the info. I have a short story for everyone in lewis county. About 8 years ago the county remodled the courthouse in chehalis. I am an electrician and was working on the project. I went to use a restroom and what do you think i find? A sherrifs radio all alone on the counter. Well i turned it in. Later that same day i was in the elevator with who i think was the sherrif. As the elevator stopped on the 4th floor, where the sherrifs department is, i motioned for him to go first. I looked down and what did i find right outside the elevator? A live 9mm round. I politely ask him if this was his departments way of fair chase for the criminals...:lol: and also told him of the radio in the bathroom earlier that day. Gee the jail is in the same building on the second floor. They also had a big case going on and had a metal detector in front of the court room. Something about an x navy seal going to kill a judge if he found his buddy guilty of a crime. Something like that.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ScottRL63 wrote:
Hello all. I was reading the tacoma news tribune this morning and i came across the article, Some pistol-packers dont conceal firearms. I didnt know it was legal to wear it openly. Hmm i have never seen anyone wearing, in public, a weapon on his or her waist. Well i have a question for all of you. I bow hunt, can i LEGALLY carry a concealed pistol while hunting for deer or elk? I keep getting told no. I have spent the last 2 hours reading posts here and have learned alot. Thank You for the info. I have a short story for everyone in lewis county. About 8 years ago the county remodled the courthouse in chehalis. I am an electrician and was working on the project. I went to use a restroom and what do you think i find? A sherrifs radio all alone on the counter. Well i turned it in. Later that same day i was in the elevator with who i think was the sherrif. As the elevator stopped on the 4th floor, where the sherrifs department is, i motioned for him to go first. I looked down and what did i find right outside the elevator? A live 9mm round. I politely ask him if this was his departments way of fair chase for the criminals...:lol: and also told him of the radio in the bathroom earlier that day. Gee the jail is in the same building on the second floor. They also had a big case going on and had a metal detector in front of the court room. Something about an x navy seal going to kill a judge if he found his buddy guilty of a crime. Something like that.
Short answer, while bow hunting NO GUNS on your person, concealed or otherwise. While hunting witha muzzle loader you can only have a muzzle loading pistol. State law says no guns in court rooms so the detectors were not for any special case.

deanf

imported post

WAC 232-12-054
(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession any firearm while in the field archery hunting, during an archery season specified for that area.

Of course there are two questions:

1. Does the state preemption RCW preempt this WAC?
2. Does RCW, in general, trump WAC?

No one seems to know the answers to these questions. They have been asked before in other contexts. Would a fish cop cite you for a violation of WAC 232-12-054 if you were carrying concealed with a CPL? Most likely. They are really the only law enforcement organization with a whole list of laws written specifically for them, and they like to enforce them.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deanf wrote:
WAC 232-12-054
(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession any firearm while in the field archery hunting, during an archery season specified for that area.

No one seems to know the answers to these questions. They have been asked before in other contexts. Would a fish cop cite you for a violation of WAC 232-12-054 if you were carrying concealed with a CPL? Most likely. They are really the only law enforcement organization with a whole list of laws written specifically for them, and they like to enforce them.
Well regardless of what trumps what, the gamies will write you sorry butt for carrying while bow hunting and the fine is $1500. So you make your own choices.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ScottRL63 wrote:
So much for the constitution then huh?
You buy your hunting license and sign on the line for the extra days of hunting you gonna give up something. The gamies are pretty sure if bow hunters had a gun they would use it. Constitution or otherwise. If I was running thing, bow hunters would only have recurves. Any compound bow is way more hi-tech than the rifle I hunt with.

joeroket

imported post

deanf wrote:
WAC 232-12-054

I would say in this instance that the WAC does not violate the pre-emption because it is set at the state level. Also when you buy your hunting license you are agreeing to abide by all state wildlife rules and regs.

ScottRL63

imported post

Well fiddle sticks...:X I was hoping to get the answer I wanted but that didnt happen. Bear I still have to get closer than you do, we get more days in the field but you gun hunters get more choices for special hunts. What are you hunting with a flint lock from the 1700`s? Anyway i really didnt know that it was such a big deal to carry a pistol. Dont bother me at all but i can see why the cops woudnt like it. As long as you are a law abiding citizen i dont see a problem, we just need to figure out how to make the laws we have work and keep the guns out of the handsof peoplelike the guy in seattle at the "music festival". I dont think we need anymore new laws.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ScottRL63 wrote:
Well fiddle sticks...:X I was hoping to get the answer I wanted but that didnt happen. Bear I still have to get closer than you do, we get more days in the field but you gun hunters get more choices for special hunts. What are you hunting with a flint lock from the 1700`s? Anyway i really didnt know that it was such a big deal to carry a pistol. Dont bother me at all but i can see why the cops woudnt like it. As long as you are a law abiding citizen i dont see a problem, we just need to figure out how to make the laws we have work and keep the guns out of the handsof peoplelike the guy in seattle at the "music festival". I dont think we need anymore new laws.

Not by much you don't. I'm getting old and the eyesight isn't what it was so 50 yards with firesights is about it. I'm handicapped enough without using a flintlock. My first choice is either my Marlin 1895 or my Ruger #1, both designed in the 1800s. My back up rifle is my Marlin 1894. One of these days I will get to do my buffalo hunt and use my old Springfield 1873 "Trapdoor" with a black powder load using a 500 grain lead bullet. As to new gun laws or for that matter any gun law;

"Gun Control is the only kind of policy that we have where the proponents of it will point to its utter failure as evidence that we need even more of it."