• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Teddybearfrmhell

Open carried today at the Phoenix Festival, several LEOs there, no problems what so ever. I got a few funny looks but I like to think it was because I'm in a sling and carrying a gun. One of the shop owners asked if it was real, and I said of course it is, and gave him pamphlet and we chatted about the laws and dos and don'ts. I then went into the Si Casa Flores with my wife and 5 month old son. Got a few rude comments from the neighboring table who were older folks and they were just utterly shocked I would open carry with a new born around. I just blew it off as yuppie garbage. Then we went to South Fred Meyers and got all kinds of weird looks but no complaints or concerns and the electronics employee treated us as we were no different. All in all, it was a super hot but good day for open carry!

yourself, your wife, your 5 month old son..... what better to carry near than those that you value the most?

We-the-People

The looks from LEO are to be expected, hell I want them to LOOK and see if there's anything strange going on or just a law abiding citizen. I've had those looks locally before myself but never been approached. Some here have but never hassled for OC like the horror stories you hear from up north.

The rude comments, well they can have all the hissy fits they want. If they can't handle it, DC, Chicago, NY City, and a few other options are still currently available so that they can live among the sheeple.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Yesterday the misses and I had brunch downtown at Sunnyside Up again. Sat in the middle of the main room and had some french toast, no issues.

Afterwards we stopped at Happy Trails Records to look through new arrivals and scrounge up something fun to listen to. When I bring my purchases to the counter the guy running the store asked me about my Glock and said he wanted to get a double stack because his single stack doesn't fit in his hands well. He asked if I got hassled much and I told him about the bouncer at the Peacock saying how it was like a nuke, but outside of that I hadn't had any negative encounters. He finished ringing me up and bid me a good day, saying "The world is a safer place." It's hard to improve on that.

Teddybearfrmhell

Yesterday the misses and I had brunch downtown at Sunnyside Up again. Sat in the middle of the main room and had some french toast, no issues.

Afterwards we stopped at Happy Trails Records to look through new arrivals and scrounge up something fun to listen to. When I bring my purchases to the counter the guy running the store asked me about my Glock and said he wanted to get a double stack because his single stack doesn't fit in his hands well. He asked if I got hassled much and I told him about the bouncer at the Peacock saying how it was like a nuke, but outside of that I hadn't had any negative encounters. He finished ringing me up and bid me a good day, saying "The world is a safer place." It's hard to improve on that.

awesome report, french toast, music, gun friendly experience..... only some sausage would have improved it!

We-the-People

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Summary for the week. Tuesday or so I walked to the co-op to pick up a few things, no issues.

Thursday went to an art exhibition at the Corvallis Art Center, my fiancee was talking to the people who helped organize it who said they "were watching the guy carrying the huge gun on his hip," to which she replied, "Oh, that's my fiance, he's harmless." They supposedly chilled out a bit after that. I eventually meandered over to talk to one of the organizers and made some small talk, none of which was about my "huge gun". I don't consider a Glock 22 to be huge personally. Afterwards went out for some Korean food downtown at Amatsu. No issues.

Last night went out for pizza, sat in the middle of the restaurant (Fireworks) and had excellent service and listened to some music before heading home. No issues.

This morning I swindled my friend (who was also carrying) into helping me pick up some trash along 3rd street where I had noticed there was quite a bit accumulated. We spent 30 or so minutes and filled two big trash bags to the brim. Had to leave some trash behind since there was so much, I'll be back for it later. No issues.

After that my friend asked me if I wanted to walk down and check out this Middle Eastern grocery store in South Corvallis. I agreed as long as we could stop by the gun store so I could see that used guns were for sale. We were there for a while, no issues, friendly service. On the way out of the strip mall we walked right next to a Corvallis PD patrol car. Within a block he passed us and pulled into a driveway. I immediately groaned and got my voice recorder out. Poor audio and my attempt at transcription is here. He approaches us (we're still both carrying) and begins with what we're doing is legal and said he wasn't detaining us or anything just wanted to know why we're open carrying because he's never seen it before. I figure I would play the advocate role instead of the silent role since he's clearly trying to be friendly. We chat a bit and shake hands and I get his name (Officer Michael Withington i believe) and give him my first name. Good encounter, right?

We continue on our way to the grocery store and look around and pick up a couple of things. Then on the way back a police officer drives by and then a few minutes later he makes a left in front of us and pulls into a parking lot and gets out and this time I'm thinking this is stupid. We had parted on good terms and here he is to have another "consensual" encounter. He asks for our names because his Sergeant wanted to let his officers know about us. We decline and part ways.

My friend went back to the gun store afterwards to pickup something that caught his eye and the workers there said the officer stopped in there after we didn't give our names to ask if they knew our names. The officer gave his card to the gun store and said that they should call him if we come back. A complaint will be filed.

Teddybearfrmhell

......My friend went back to the gun store afterwards to pickup something that caught his eye and the workers there said the officer stopped in there after we didn't give our names to ask if they knew our names. The officer gave his card to the gun store and said that they should call him if we come back. A complaint will be filed.

yet another reason to buy guns from a private party

We-the-People

Yeah, that was one thing I didn't like about doing the radio show. I can almost guarantee you they ran my name shortly after it hit the air. Wonder in a properly worded open records request on my name would divulge whether they did that or not. Wouldn't that be a no-no for them?

We-the-People

I forgot to mention. I was in WalMart (by the costco) in Medford and while no one approached me or said anything I picked up two tails with little curly cue wires sticking out of their ears. Looked more like store security than PD but sheeesh, I've been OC all over this area, never had a problem, and now Wally World, with their corporate policy of "abide by state law" has security guys watching me while I shop? I'll be making a point of using that one when I'm in that part of town.

Warren Drouin

Man at eagle point walmart armed

I just saw man with 2 mag and a handgun at Eagle point walmart. He was driving red honda sport motorcycle and had a american flag style helmet. Try to say hey but i had to leave... i think it was teddybearfrmhell lol:monkey

doughboi

Its been a while but today took my new XDM 40 compact to the range put 250 rds through her. using the stock holster it came with open carry to woodburn outlet mall, had my wife and daughter with me. first stop was gap, no issues, then Nautica, one of the associate came up to me and ask if it was an m&p, told him it was an xdm. he told me he plans on carrying as soon as hes 21, had a brief conversation, he said that he was glad to see me carrying, then went to other places with no issue. walk past 2 security with no issue. not even a hey whats that or anything. great day. wish i had a better holster though.... damn online orders take FOREVER....

Teddybearfrmhell

I just saw man with 2 mag and a handgun at Eagle point walmart. He was driving red honda sport motorcycle and had a american flag style helmet. Try to say hey but i had to leave... i think it was teddybearfrmhell lol:monkey

altho that is very close to my home and a frequent spot for me to carry, it wasnt me...... i ride a white cruiser, not a red sporty.

Teddybearfrmhell

had a social event last night , a group dinner at the New Far East restaurant in medford. 3 people open carrying, 3 others carrying concealed...... no issues at all. this is a regular event location for us and there has not been any kind of issue, totally gun oblivious.

We-the-People

Not quite oblivious. I got a couple of very strong looks in the parking lot and walking through the restaurant...both from customers though and nothing said. First time I've noticed any looks there though.

Teddybearfrmhell

Not quite oblivious. I got a couple of very strong looks in the parking lot and walking through the restaurant...both from customers though and nothing said. First time I've noticed any looks there though.

coulda just been looking at YOU, your not easy on the eyes! LOL

i just remembered , as i was parking my bike and taking the sig out of the saddle bag and into the slide holster on the belt an elderly gentleman (with his grand daughter) stopped to talk bikes till he saw the sig, then he was very interested in how i liked the pistol. he wanted to see it but not to touch, he just liked the design (he is a die hard 1911 man) of the new (30 year old) pistols. so neither he, nor his grand daughter batted an eye as this biker (me) crawled off the bike, holstered up and went in to dinner. i was told to enjoy my meal and ride safe......

doughboi

Today went to home depot with my daughter no one said anything except how cute my daughter was.. then went to wholesale sports to get some ammo. as i was getting out and walking in saw a cop in his cruiser waving to go in. for sure i thought he was going to stop me and have that talk but he kept driving. so no negative encounters... man was i relieve. i know he saw me cause i had my strong side to him.

Satyr

Rogue valley mall

My wife and I went into the mall today we sat down and had lunch and then captain Warren stopped me to notify me it was against their policy for me to have a gun. When I informed him according to Oregon state law and the Oregon state constiton I was allowed to carry on public and private property he said " well I'll call MPD, I stated that was fine. Then a manager showed up and tried to sweet talk me more. It was he same bs over and over again and the manager said "you were given the option to put it in your car or leave." when I was not given the option, all the officer said was I couldn't have it there. Then he told he manager he wanted me to leave. So we left then MPD showed up followed us to guitar center and pulled us over. They were decent and respectful and I have no complaints about them. Here are some vids of what happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpAx8rRGZCc&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7Qbytz5lo&sns=em

bigtoe416

So we left then MPD showed up followed us to guitar center and pulled us over.

You got pulled over? For what? It couldn't have been for carrying since that would be a detainment without RAS.

Edit: Heh...at around 10:30 on the second video the officer mentions the Starbucks get together today in Medford.

Last edited:

Satyr

You got pulled over? For what? It couldn't have been for carrying since that would be a detainment without RAS.

Edit: Heh...at around 10:30 on the second video the officer mentions the Starbucks get together today in Medford.

Yeah I thought that was funny they were complaining about everyone open carrying. Guess they feel the more people who carry the less likely they will be needed. They did not state a reason for pulling me over but they did know I had a gun on me and they wanted to ID me. I know I didn't need to give them any info but I fiured I would humor them. We are going to do more research and complaints will be emailed and sent. Feel free to email rogue valley mall general manager jeff barber @ jeff.barber@ggp.com. (541) 494-1807 Ext. 1007