• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

VW_Factor

Warren, I totally support you as its your rights. Just think you need to work on that whole "yakkin more than you need too" thing. I think that would set a better example.

I have yet to have an encounter, even with the PD I know and love. In any case, I would do my best to set a good example. You don't need to prove anything to the police, save it for court and show it to the judge.

Carry on.

We-the-People

On Saturday my GF and I had dinner at a local (to remain unnamed) restaurant that also does delivery. While placing our order at the counter the guy taking our order said that he'd been robbed recently during a delivery and that he now had a "don't ask don't tell" policy. Chatting later he described the incident and the BG's (a group of banger wanna be's) waited to do the robbery until one of them checked for weapons. He said he heard "he's not packing" as he was getting the order out of the vehicle from one of them that came up behind him and when he turned around he was facing a knife.

From the description it sounded like had he been carrying they would NOT have robbed him as the group didn't approach until the "scout" had checked for a weapon.

Sunday I attended an "open house" at a friend of a friends. When deciding to go or not we asked if OC would be a problem. We were told "only if someone complains and they can leave if they do".

CARRY ON

cotillion

New member and 3rd day of OC,

Wal mart on crater lake- spent about 20 minutes looking for perfume, no complaints and no dirty looks

Albertsons on Ross ln, both store and gas station- nothing!

News and smokes on main st- pleasant as always

Rays grocery in jacksonville- again nothing to report!

Seems like OC is easier than I thought I'd be. It's a heck of a lot more comfortable thats for sure!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Seems like OC is easier than I thought I'd be. It's a heck of a lot more comfortable thats for sure!

Kind of surprising, eh? When I started I kept saying to myself, "oh but if I carry here, it'll be a problem." But now that I've basically carried everywhere, I can say that really the only place you'll have problems carrying is in front of a police officer. They seem to be the only ones that get bothered by it.

TheHossUSMC

When is one of you guys gonna sue Medford PD? They amend how they handle OC quick, fast, and in a hurry when they are staring down the barrel of a lawsuit every time they stop someone.

Kramer

When is one of you guys gonna sue Medford PD? They amend how they handle OC quick, fast, and in a hurry when they are staring down the barrel of a lawsuit every time they stop someone.

I was wondering the same thing, well being new and from the Rogue Valley, I was wondering if anyone had sued them yet. If not why?

cotillion

I was wondering the same thing, well being new and from the Rogue Valley, I was wondering if anyone had sued them yet. If not why?

I wouldn't let these reports stop you from carrying openly. I've been all over town in just about every retail establishment and haven't had a reportable incident yet. I've also spoken with a deputy and a jacksonville cop, neither of which made any reference to my gun. There's several others who have been carrying for years now without incident. Just carry responsibly and print out some pamphlets and you'll be fine :)

We-the-People

Contrary to popular belief, it's not so easy as just suing. It costs MONEY...and lots of it. It takes an attorney that knows what he's doing (which costs a lot of money). It takes time (time is money)........and there is not a "big payout" at the end of such a lawsuit unless the plaintiff can show actual damages (the courts don't typically think it's much damage to "just" illegally detain someone for example). And the ACLU typically doesn't care about your 4th amendment rights if the 2nd amendment is involved (though there have been some cases they got involved with).

Some across the country have managed to do a "pro se" (by themselves) lawsuit and persevered...their numbers are extremely small and the process is not an easy task. In VA a young man managed to win two lawsuits pro se (I think it was only two).

There is more to it but I don't want ot get overly long in my post.

Dogbait

Some across the country have managed to do a "pro se" (by themselves) lawsuit and persevered...their numbers are extremely small and the process is not an easy task. In VA a young man managed to win two lawsuits pro se (I think it was only two).

There is more to it but I don't want ot get overly long in my post.

Do you happen to have link available?

Sent from my HTC EVO

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was in Eugene today for some random errands, carried my Glock without any hassle. Went to REI to exchange a couple of things, then to Toshi's Ramen for lunch, then to Market of Choice to get some groceries. I think the most anybody cared was a guy at Toshi's noticed my sidearm when I walked in and mentioned it to one of his friends. He was wearing a Cabela's hat, so I doubt he was saying anything too negative.

cotillion

I'll try and not be a jerk in this situation, but honestly bro if you just kept your rambling mouth shut these run ins would probably last under a minute.

Warren Drouin

True, but I want them to know that this does not give them the authority to violate my rights and detain me illegally. This is wrong and against the very foundation of there sworn oath. I will stand my ground hard when they are there to violate my rights that they sworn to protect and others as well. They need to be trained and take there oath very serous when they are there to protect life, liberty, and property. Thanks for a respectful opinion

I'll try and not be a jerk in this situation, but honestly bro if you just kept your rambling mouth shut these run ins would probably last under a minute.

We-the-People

And if we "just cooperate" and show our papers, like good little sheep being prepared for further intrusions later.......

With a supposed call of "disorderly man with a gun", I'd like to hear the 911 tape and th dispatch recordings as to just what was called in as the complaint and what the officers were told on the radio.

What is absolutely ASTOUNDING to me is that the officer, supposedly concerned for his safety, places a loaded weapon on teh ground some distance behind him and then fixates on Warren as an unknown pedestrian walks up, and thankfully past, the pistol and then the officer and Warren. Now that's some pretty ****** situational awareness from an officer that is supposedly disarming Warren for "officer safety".

Then again, under Terry v Ohio, and subsequent decisions, the officer can only disarm a detained individual is he ascertains that the individual is armed AND dangerous.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Position statement of this poster, not speaking for the site owners:

OCDO does not question the right of people to conduct themselves in a legal manner. Our rules are clear regarding personal attacks - they will not be tolerated. Speak to the facts, events etc., but leave out publicizing your opinion as to another's character, particularly after being cautioned. Repeated such attempts should be carefully considered and at what expense.

I have watched all of the videos. LE conduct is certainly questionable. The conduct of the principal while certainly not exemplary, is not improper IMO - too much conversation/street court for me.

Where I see the problem is with the long gun - certainly not illegal, but beyond that desired on OCDO where we are trying to promote and defend the everyday carrying (normalization) of properly holstered handguns. Many see a long gun as an offensive tool and I suspect that is where the problem lies. OCDO has a rule regarding this and for good reason. Perception is important. Long guns are not what OCDO is about.

This thread is being locked, at least temporarily. Everybody take a time out - review the videos if you wish.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Take notice please of OCDO rule pertaining to PMs:

(18) PRIVATE MESSAGES: The content of private messages are NOT completely private in that they may be reported to the administrator should the private messaging function be used to harass or spam another user. However, the content of private messages should not be posted publicly on the forum in an attempt to embarrass or discredit another member.

I have no desire to see a member of this community who might be otherwise valued suffer as a result of his own actions. There are consequences for refusal to follow the rules.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thread unlocked with the fervent hope it will stay on topic within the guidelines of this forum.

Thank you to those that have contributed their thoughts and listened to mine.

Carry on.