• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

We-the-People

Then it violates Oregon law and is void per ORS 166.170(2)

And the way the black letter law is written, the ENTIRE ordinance is void. Per ORS 166.170:

"166.170 State preemption. (1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void."

Hence, per black letter law, it's not just the part about CHL holders not being exempted but the whole ordinance. i.e. per the law, anyone can carry in their parks. Of course our California infiltrated (i.e. liberal idiot) courts pretty much decide how they want anyway.

Remember, the INSIDE of your car is a "public place" according to the idiots sitting on the bench.

SKN

In Salem for the night, ready for tomorrow's rally. Came up today in order to go to Portland and hit Powell's Books. Had my smartphone scanner going and about 1/2 hour after going into the store heard Portland PD getting a call of MWAG in Powell's, called in by an employee who would meet them at the front and guide them to the subject. Said no problem present so not sure why they called unless it was to have me ejected.

So....put down the books that might have been purchased and headed out the store calmly.

Then heard a call of "an hysterical woman who found a gun on the street, no further information...." Location was the street we were on and the cross was where we had just been. WTF....I and the person I was with both (discretely) checked that all weapons were in indeed still on our person (yes but hey, that was a WTF MOMENT). Guessing the REALITY was a Portlandian went nuts when she saw someone walking on the street with a firearm. Oh WELL.

Then heard a call of a guy in a park who found a firearm and was standing by waiting for police....WTF AGAIN.....sheeeesh you do need to be armed in Portland, there are apparently guns everywhere.

Then heard a call of boys in the park with GASP BB guns (probably airsoft).

About 15-20 minutes after exiting we hear Portland PD called that "subject left the building, call closed".

Made it to the car and out of town with no further drama.......love my scanner app though I fully expected to use it to know when the cops were walking up so that I could activate recording devices.

Technology is great when it works.

Hey 'We-', Hare Trigger was in Powells, witnessed your encounter, and posted a draft of a letter about it that she intends to send to Powells ownership in the thread Customer Service Complaint. I'm sure she'd appreciate your support and an 'atta-girl'.

HPmatt

In Salem for the night, ready for tomorrow's rally. Came up today in order to go to Portland and hit Powell's Books. Had my smartphone scanner going and about 1/2 hour after going into the store heard Portland PD getting a call of MWAG in Powell's, called in by an employee who would meet them at the front and guide them to the subject. Said no problem present so not sure why they called unless it was to have me ejected.

So....put down the books that might have been purchased and headed out the store calmly.

Then heard a call of "an hysterical woman who found a gun on the street, no further information...." Location was the street we were on and the cross was where we had just been. WTF....I and the person I was with both (discretely) checked that all weapons were in indeed still on our person (yes but hey, that was a WTF MOMENT). Guessing the REALITY was a Portlandian went nuts when she saw someone walking on the street with a firearm. Oh WELL.

Then heard a call of a guy in a park who found a firearm and was standing by waiting for police....WTF AGAIN.....sheeeesh you do need to be armed in Portland, there are apparently guns everywhere.

Then heard a call of boys in the park with GASP BB guns (probably airsoft).

About 15-20 minutes after exiting we hear Portland PD called that "subject left the building, call closed".

Made it to the car and out of town with no further drama.......love my scanner app though I fully expected to use it to know when the cops were walking up so that I could activate recording devices.

Technology is great when it works.

Your night on the town reads like a Bourne movie - all sorts of mayhem breaking out all around you and you're just walking thru it....
Of course no violence on your part - just imagine cops running here - getting called over there - wait reroute to the park.....

We-the-People

Your night on the town reads like a Bourne movie - all sorts of mayhem breaking out all around you and you're just walking thru it....
Of course no violence on your part - just imagine cops running here - getting called over there - wait reroute to the park.....

I'm seriously considering using technology to make them do a bit more of that rerouting. A couple of cars with scanners, one or two open carriers per car plus the driver. Driver drops them off at different locations a short distance apart. Monitor scanners and when the call goes out for one of the carriers, pick them up and move them to a new location. Second car could either drop at the same time or alternate so that a large geographical area could be covered.

The point of the exercise: To encourage the police to start inquiring of callers as to the actions of the MWAG and stop harassing law abiding open carriers because they don't have the resources.

SteveM

And the way the black letter law is written, the ENTIRE ordinance is void.
Yep. And that is why in Beaverton you actually don't need a CHL to carry a loaded gun and can discharge a firearm in city limits. I'm torn, do I point out the errors to the city council or just wait till someone gets charged with breaking the law then tip off their lawyer that the ordinance is voided by trying to assume powers not permitted it by the ORS?

Last edited:

We-the-People

Yep. And that is why in Beaverton you actually don't need a CHL to carry a loaded gun and can discharge a firearm in city limits. I'm torn, do I point out the errors to the city council or just wait till someone gets charged with breaking the law then tip off their lawyer that the ordinance is voided by trying to assume powers not permitted it by the ORS?

Tough question. Show them how to fix it or keep it as an ace in the hole. decisions decisions.

We-the-People

Tuesday night. Open Carried in the Ashland City Council meeting and spoke during public forum on the issue of a potential loaded ban ordinance. I was well received. more on the thread about Ashland and the ban.

After Ashland, caught the tail end of the local republican party meeting in the Medford Library.

Out to dinner about 10pm with another open carrier.

No issues anywhere.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Tuesday night. Open Carried in the Ashland City Council meeting and spoke during public forum on the issue of a potential loaded ban ordinance. I was well received. more on the thread about Ashland and the ban.

Thanks for attending and speaking to the city council. Hopefully Ashland wises up and doesn't waste their time enacting laws that are unproductive.

nilla

SNIP

Your Oregon CHL exempts you from ALL Oregon city ordinances relating to loaded carry. Not "most".

With an Oregon CHL, only state level infringements upon your right to keep and bear arms are enforceable by the state.

NOTE: The right to keep and bear arms is NOT a Constitutional right. The right (and all others) PREDATE the Constitution.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.;)

Dave H.

oc

Open carried today in goodwill, Fred Meyers and k-mart in OC, not one word to me, as if I didn't even have my side arm on my hip.

JohnM15A

Hi all, I live in VA but I lurk here because I have a home in Wilderville OR and plan to move to OR in a couple years. So I'm concerned about the antis in OR ruining the state before I even settle there. Anyway I thought I would share some experience I have here in VA. I OC every day and after I sent in my XDs for the upgrade I bought a 4" 1911 Kimber and have been carrying it since Christmas. My XDs is a all black model. No one seemed to care or notice it. But when I started carrying my Kimber many more now notice. Sometimes I'll get up from a table at a restaurant and look up to see several families staring at me like I was a crazy man. I does help to smile but there is a huge difference in what people notice based on the size and color of the gun...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi all, I live in VA but I lurk here because I have a home in Wilderville OR and plan to move to OR in a couple years. So I'm concerned about the antis in OR ruining the state before I even settle there. Anyway I thought I would share some experience I have here in VA. I OC every day and after I sent in my XDs for the upgrade I bought a 4" 1911 Kimber and have been carrying it since Christmas. My XDs is a all black model. No one seemed to care or notice it. But when I started carrying my Kimber many more now notice. Sometimes I'll get up from a table at a restaurant and look up to see several families staring at me like I was a crazy man. I does help to smile but there is a huge difference in what people notice based on the size and color of the gun...

Carry a "purdy gun" and educate the people (including BGs) that you are ready/willing to defend yourself if there is no other choice OR "blend-in" and slide through life hoping that the BG sees better than the rest of the public. ymmv

Some of us have even put a red stick-on bows on our holsters over the holidays. Get a lot of smiles and nods too.

nilla

My XDs is a all black model. No one seemed to care or notice it. But when I started carrying my Kimber many more now notice.

color contrast of the gun/holster to your clothes plays a factor. it seems like some people notice my black gun/holster combo from my weak side when i wear khaki pants and a white/light shirt!
in your case, it might be that 1911's are just such an iconic and great-looking gun. ;) i really do like them all, tho

the wife and i OC'd around town -safeway, walmart, carls jr and down by the santiam. nothing noteworthy

We-the-People

color contrast of the gun/holster to your clothes plays a factor. it seems like some people notice my black gun/holster combo from my weak side when i wear khaki pants and a white/light shirt!
in your case, it might be that 1911's are just such an iconic and great-looking gun. ;) i really do like them all, tho

the wife and i OC'd around town -safeway, walmart, carls jr and down by the santiam. nothing noteworthy

I think this is a good rationale (or is that rationalization) to buy that big shiny S&W 500 or Desert Eagle 50AE I've been wanting for so long. I need contrast

DaveT319

Did my first OCing today in Eugene. Went into WinCo to do some shopping. We were there for about 20 minutes, didn't have any issues, and could not detect if anyone even noticed.

Last edited:

DaveT319

A few more trips out. Have now been to a Bi-Mart, Walmart, Costco, and again to the WinCo. Still no issues, and can't tell if anyone has even noticed.

We-the-People

Yesterday

OC'd to the studios of KMED radio here in Medford in order to "appear" on air with Bill Meyer and the man who presented the "Citizens for a REALLY safe Ashland" safety ordinance. A satirical damnation of the presently being considered local anti-gun ordinances.

The audio can be found on the Bill Meyer archives (about 25 minutes into the 7am hour file) http://www.kmed.com/common/page.php?id=111

Last edited: