• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

DaveT319

Have continued OCing around Eugene. Still haven't done anything like walking around downtown, but I can add a few more places that I have been to with no issues, including the Fred Meyer, Dollar Tree, and Papa Murphy's on River Rd. No one noticed as far as I could tell.

Later, though, I was back at the Bi-Mart on Royal and had someone notice. As I was checking out, I noticed the guy behind me kind of lean down looking at my weapon, then asked what it was. Ended up he had recently moved here from Alabama, and we ended up discussing OC and CC for about 10 minutes. Pretty cool, too, was that the cashier was "alerted" to my firearm by his question and ensuing discussion, and she seemed completely unfazed by it.

A very positive experience!

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
--moderator edited personal insult-- It's a good song about open carry.

I'm pretty sure calling somebody a schmuck is a personal attack, which we all know is against the forum rules.

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!!

Also, I skimmed through the video and if it is about open carry, it has extremely metaphorical lyrics...so extreme that it doesn't appear to be about open carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doom Father

New to the forum and open carrying. I'm from the Rogue River/Grants Pass area. Recently purchased a Glock 17 and a holster. Had my first real OC outing this Saturday. Went to Bandon for my Birthday and thought it would be a perfect time to finally carry. I had zero problems and from what I could see no weird or bad looks. Went to a restaurant, rays, boardwalk/old town area and a few small stores including a old fashion candy shop where the worker who might have been the owner gave me a compliment. She asked if I was "Packing" and told me it was my "God given right". Had a awesome time and experience! Will be carrying everywhere I go now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
New to the forum and open carrying. I'm from the Rogue River/Grants Pass area. Recently purchased a Glock 17 and a holster. Had my first real OC outing this Saturday. Went to Bandon for my Birthday and thought it would be a perfect time to finally carry. I had zero problems and from what I could see no weird or bad looks. Went to a restaurant, rays, boardwalk/old town area and a few small stores including a old fashion candy shop where the worker who might have been the owner gave me a compliment. She asked if I was "Packing" and told me it was my "God given right". Had a awesome time and experience! Will be carrying everywhere I go now.

Welcome to OCDO Doom Father.

Two up front suggestions:
  1. Learn the applicable laws + where you can carry and where not.
  2. Buy and carry a good digital recorder - mine goes on in the morning as I leave the house - stays that way until I get home at night.

OC is liberating isn't it - just keep your happy, smiling face turned on :)

mjcromp

Enjoyed OC everywhere I went this week. Walmart drummed up one guy asking what caliber and going on that it would be nice to see more people OCing. A few strange looks and one guy in walmart did a 180 when he noticed my gun. Nice to live in a place where it's no big deal for the most part!

Doom Father

Welcome to OCDO Doom Father.

Two up front suggestions:
  1. Learn the applicable laws + where you can carry and where not.
  2. Buy and carry a good digital recorder - mine goes on in the morning as I leave the house - stays that way until I get home at night.

OC is liberating isn't it - just keep your happy, smiling face turned on :)

Thanks! I made sure I read the laws and knew where I couldn't and could carry before I even had my holster. A recorder would be nice, I need to pick one up. Yes very liberating. The best part is the safety I feel for me and my family when I carry.

mjcromp

So I had to go to Seattle on Wednesday and felt naked not having a gun as I flew there. Been to numerous places OC and no biggie. Went to Safeway tonight with my oldest daughter and my LEO friends son and went to checkout and checkout girl asked "what caliber 9 or 40?" I was shocked as I told her 40. "Springfield? I can't see it well" again shocked! "Yes XDM 3.8" I said. "That's what my boyfriend carries, I wish more people carried." We chatted for a bit and walking away my 12 YO daughter says "now that's not a normal checkout conversation!" No crap! But one I really enjoyed having!

FattyKrack

So I had to go to Seattle on Wednesday and felt naked not having a gun as I flew there. Been to numerous places OC and no biggie. Went to Safeway tonight with my oldest daughter and my LEO friends son and went to checkout and checkout girl asked "what caliber 9 or 40?" I was shocked as I told her 40. "Springfield? I can't see it well" again shocked! "Yes XDM 3.8" I said. "That's what my boyfriend carries, I wish more people carried." We chatted for a bit and walking away my 12 YO daughter says "now that's not a normal checkout conversation!" No crap! But one I really enjoyed having!

That's funny, was this Seattle area? Had an almost identical experience in Bainbridge Island Safeway. Also, my first MWAG call, but that's a different story...
The bag boy immediately ID'd my Springfield subcompact, asking whether or was a 9 or 40. Fyi 9.

Rusty Young Man

No kidding! I don't know which occurrence is less likely: seeing a unicorn, or meeting a checkout person (usually high school or college students these days) that actually knows their guns?
Shame she had a boyfriend though.:p With the limited information provided, she sounds like a keeper.;)
And kudos for teaching your daughter well. May she grow to be an advocate for OC and our Rights.

We-the-People

You could have checked your firearm and holster and taken them with you unless your itinerary was the problem. Flying there shouldn't have been an issue. Now if you were going anywhere near Chicago, NJ, NYC, during the flight that might make me a bit concerned....those people have no sympathy for diverted passengers who have checked firearms.

AZRobert

Picked up my special lady from PDX tonight. Walked through the parking garage and found her at baggage claim. No issues with Port of Portland Police, or anyone else.

Sethrotull

You could have checked your firearm and holster and taken them with you unless your itinerary was the problem. Flying there shouldn't have been an issue. Now if you were going anywhere near Chicago, NJ, NYC, during the flight that might make me a bit concerned....those people have no sympathy for diverted passengers who have checked firearms.

I have found flying with firearms super easy. Easier than I ever expected. First time I got geared up for questions and inspections, nope really just a hand wave through. I encourage anyone to know the laws and take their firearm with them.

We-the-People

Saturday I, and a few dozen other activists, open carried in Ashland to protest their consideration of a "loaded ban" ordinance. Several of us then walked their tourist laden streets while open carrying and explaining to all who asked that all the guns were there to show the city that "yes we will be here in greater numbers if you pass this ordinance".

We will see if the press and public exposure may change their minds or "harden their hearts".

If they pass it, I suspect I'll be down there at least two weekends a month and it will be with a VERY visible and fully loaded firearm.

DaveT319

Was in Fred Meyer this afternoon when I hear "hey, buddy" from behind me. I turn to see a guy strolling toward me. "I noticed your gun. Open carry is legal here?" We end up having a short conversation about OC (recommended he come here to learn more about the OC laws here), the benefits of getting a CHL (if for no other reason than the exemptions), and commented that he was happy to see me carrying.

We-the-People

Yesterday, Monday:

Had to go to Southern Oregon Univ to pick up books for my last quarter of school (yaaaaaaaaa). Afterwards, and ONLY because of the current ordinances being considered by the council, I took off my jacket so that my sidearm wouldn't blend in with the dark color, and took a leisurely stroll through the "split one way" road section of the down town. I also stopped in at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory to pick up some "medicine" for my sick GF.

As I was getting back in the car an APD unit pulled up on his way somewhere and said "nice piece". I was sure to say thanks AND to point out that the ONLY reason I was out and about was the council considering the ordinance.

Hopefully they'll get the word that yes, there have been a LOT of OC'ers since they started discussing these bans. Depending on how homework goes, I may make a special trip or two down between now and the weekend.....JUST to keep them on notice.

DaveT319

For the second time in 3 days, I had someone notice my OC sidearm.

"Is that a Ruger?" I hear from behind me.
"No, it's a Taurus (PT111 G2)."
"Sweet. Do you need a license to carry it in the open like that?"
"Nope, you need a license to CC; OC is legal to anyone who can legally own a gun."
"And you can carry it in here (we were at WinCo) or anywhere else?"
"Yep, unless they ask you not to or have a sign saying 'no guns'."
"Awesome!"
Gave me a fist bump and walked off.

We-the-People

For the second time in 3 days, I had someone notice my OC sidearm.

"Is that a Ruger?" I hear from behind me.
"No, it's a Taurus (PT111 G2)."
"Sweet. Do you need a license to carry it in the open like that?"
"Nope, you need a license to CC; OC is legal to anyone who can legally own a gun."
"And you can carry it in here (we were at WinCo) or anywhere else?"
"Yep, unless they ask you not to or have a sign saying 'no guns'."
"Awesome!"
Gave me a fist bump and walked off.

I always try to explain that there are some areas you can't carry without the license. Don't want someone strapping up and then unknowingly walking into a public building or something.

DaveT319

Good point. I did mention that in the conversation on Monday, but not yesterday. I'll make sure I bring that up from now on.