• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

Kingfish

hey im in process of getting my gun carry permit do you know the best place here in murfreesboro to do the class and also do u pay for the class and the license?
"On Target" does the class. You pay for the class and the permit separably. Classes run ~$100 and the permit is around $150. Those are ballparks from memory when I got my TN permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To obtain a handgun carry permit in Tennessee, you must first successfully complete a handgun safety course offered by a handgun safety school that is certified by the Department of Safety.

You should then make application at any full service Driver Service Center. You will need to bring with you the original copy of your safety course completion certificate, proof of US Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, photo identification such as your Driver License, and $115 NON-REFUNDABLE permit fee. This fee may be paid in cash, credit card, money order or with a certified check. If there are no problems with the application and you meet all eligibility requirements, you should receive your permit within 90 days of the date we receive your application.

When your application is processed at the Driver Service Center, you will be given instructions on being fingerprinted.

Even though a person has a permit and is authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to TCA 39-17-1315 or 39-17-1351, there are restrictions as to where firearms may be carried. Additional information pertaining to possession of and carrying a firearm are listed by Tennessee Code Annotated and subject matter. More information can be obtained online from the Tennessee Code Annotated lookup (this link is to LexisNexis site external to Tennessee Department of Safety website).

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.shtml

Last edited:

OngoingFreedom

Saw the unicorn this past week! I have been OC in TN for three years before spotting another.

Panda Express. OC'd there 2x now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Silvertongue

Friend's First-time OC and stopped

Hi everyone, first post here. My department manager (resident of Alabama) and I have been discussing OC vs CC for a little while now. He's been CC-ing for a few months and said he was going to try OC soon. Today, he dropped by work with a jacket over his 24/7. I fist bumped him and asked him if he had picked up a voice recorder yet. He said no, he was going to wait on it. Sure enough, I get a text about 6:00 that read "I got stopped OC at the Dollar Store on the way home." Told. You. So. He says it wasn't a man-with-a-gun call, just a cop who saw him and decided to pursue his thought to what the law was. He said he eventually got an apology from the chief of the local PD, but I think he kind of lucked out.
So, when he comes back to work Monday, my snarky self is going to have a good voice recorder suggestion for him. Any thoughts from the regulars?
P.S. My OWB holster for my PT1911 came in today and I get fingerprinted Tuesday, so I'll be joining your ranks shortly and will likely use your recorder suggestion myself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi everyone, first post here. My department manager (resident of Alabama) and I have been discussing OC vs CC for a little while now. He's been CC-ing for a few months and said he was going to try OC soon. Today, he dropped by work with a jacket over his 24/7. I fist bumped him and asked him if he had picked up a voice recorder yet. He said no, he was going to wait on it. Sure enough, I get a text about 6:00 that read "I got stopped OC at the Dollar Store on the way home." Told. You. So. He says it wasn't a man-with-a-gun call, just a cop who saw him and decided to pursue his thought to what the law was. He said he eventually got an apology from the chief of the local PD, but I think he kind of lucked out.
So, when he comes back to work Monday, my snarky self is going to have a good voice recorder suggestion for him. Any thoughts from the regulars?
P.S. My OWB holster for my PT1911 came in today and I get fingerprinted Tuesday, so I'll be joining your ranks shortly and will likely use your recorder suggestion myself.

You can pay more, but won't buy better than this Sony - carried always on by many including myself.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754765-REG/Sony_ICDPX312_ICDPX312_Digital_Voice_Recorder.html
Free shipping too.

Z1P2

OC'd tonight at Walmart, it was busy but the only person that I noticed taking notice was the cashier who appeared nervous, so I engaged her in some small talk about the weather. Looking back on it I wonder if I should have come right out and said something like, "you have no need to be nervous, criminals aren't known to open carry and none of them that might be around are going to rob you while someone is openly carrying."

Silvertongue

I got fingerprinted on Wednesday, and I'm sure it'll take the majority of 90 days for me to receive mine in the mail; I'd be surprised if the DoS wasn't inundated with permit applications.

Closer to on topic, I saw a married couple at Walmart, holding hands and each carrying a Sig in OWB holsters. I couldn't do more than fist bump them because I was working, but it was still great to see. I only hope my girlfriend is open to the thought of it. I still can't get her to quit hating revolvers, but I'll give that up if she'll carry anything at all.

Even a Glock.

Z1P2

I wish I had some friends here in Knoxville that were up for OC'ing, but all my friends either carry concealed or want to be victims.

RikuNoganashi

Been a while.

I've been sans internet for a while now, but I finally got everything straightened out. I had a few run-ins over these last few months with LEO's and citizens, none of them good. I was stopped twice in Walmart here in Springfield, in the same night, for open carrying my gun. Two different LEO's, one in uniform, the other in plainclothes. Both were very rude about the whole thing, and the uniformed cop actually took my gun for nearly twenty minutes, lecturing me about "kids carrying guns because they think it makes them look cool." He might have been all of thirty to thirty five years old, I am twenty three, so the whole "Kids" comments, along with the "Boy" and "Son" that he kept throwing around, really grated on me. However, I am still too broke to buy a recorder, so I kept my mouth shut. After he finally gave me my gun and permit back, He gave me the usual, "Just doing my job" speech, and left.

Not ten minutes later, I had someone start following me down the aisles, more or less cornered me in the soft drinks section, and whipped out a badge. Another cop, in a pair of jeans and a grey hooded sweater. He gave me a slightly altered form of the same lecture, but being as he looked younger than me, he left out the "Kid" and "Boy" crap. He called another officer on his cell phone and read off my information, presumably to check it, and when he was done, he gave me the permit back. Again, with the, "Just doing my Job" speech. That happened at around eight pm or so on January 18th. Three days later, on the 21st, I was in the store I work in, off the clock and in my street clothes, and had a customer there, an old man of about seventy or so, begin berating me on carrying my gun in public. He even went so far as to accuse me of planning to rob the store, calling me a thug, and demanding that the manager call the police. Being that I have worked with that manager for nearly five years now, He told the customer to leave if it bothered him so much. Thats really the worst of it, besides a few odd looks and a couple of conversations on what kind of gun it is, that I have to report.

Kingfish

Have you emailed/called the chiefs of the agencies involved?
What for? They did nothing outside the law. Remember, it is a CRIME in Tennessee to carry a firearm. LEO are well within their "power" to stop, detain and even arrest someone carrying a firearm. A permit is a defense to that crime and may be presented as such in court.

Q-Tip

What for? They did nothing outside the law. Remember, it is a CRIME in Tennessee to carry a firearm. LEO are well within their "power" to stop, detain and even arrest someone carrying a firearm. A permit is a defense to that crime and may be presented as such in court.

No, it doesn't seem like they did anything illegal, but, if it went as the story teller described, the officers behaved rudely, and went far beyond just checking a permit. It doesn't take 20 minutes of lecturing to verify a permit and move on. Legal or not, LEO's should not behave in the manner the poster described.

papa bear

yeah , and it is illegal to drive a car in TN, without a permission from the state. wonder how many people they stoped to see if they had a permit to be driving? 5, 10, 100? how many people did you see driving a car today and wondered if the had a permission slip?

but the main point is they were rude and obnoxious. if i proved i was legally carrying, they would have been ranting to the hand. but i would have also asked them why they were open carrying

Last edited:

RikuNoganashi

yeah , and it is illegal to drive a car in TN, without a permission from the state. wonder how many people they stoped to see if they had a permit to be driving? 5, 10, 100? how many people did you see driving a car today and wondered if the had a permission slip?

but the main point is they were rude and obnoxious. if i proved i was legally carrying, they would have been ranting to the hand. but i would have also asked them why they were open carrying

Actually, for all of next week, there will be a Police Roadblock up on Old Greenbrier Highway to check drivers licenses and registration, so they will be stopping a lot of people to see if they have permits to drive. This is following the week long night time "Sobriety Checkpoints" They have had up all of last week, because some dumba** teenager got drunk, took his car joyriding on a revoked license, and smashed into an oncoming car a few weeks ago on Hwy 41, I think it killed one baby and an older woman, and put a child and the mother in the hospital. Kneejerk reactions that are only serving to pad their pockets, of course.

I did call the Department, but I was brushed off with essentially what Kingfish said. the cop that took the call told me I was lucky the cop didnt prone me out right in the middle of the store, handcuff me, and -then- check for my permit. Shows the mentality of these cops I suppose.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since open carry is legal it cannot, absent other suspicious activity, give rise to the necessary “reasonable suspicion that crime is afoot.”

In those 14 states (soon to be 15) where open carry requires a permit or license, the answer is not as crystal clear but is still a resounding “No!”

The United States Supreme Court addressed a similar question in Delaware v. Prouse (440 U.S. 648) (1979). In that case, the issue articulated by the court was:

[W]hether it is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments to stop an automobile, being driven on a public highway, for the purpose of checking the driving license of the operator and the registration of the car, where there is neither probable cause to believe nor reasonable suspicion that the car is being driven contrary to the laws governing the operation of motor vehicles or that either the car or any of its occupants is subject to seizure or detention in connection with the violation of any other applicable law.

Now … let’s change just a few words and we have the issue before us:
[W]hether it is an unreasonable seizure under the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments to stop a person open carrying in public, for the purpose of checking the carry permit of the open carrier, where there is neither probable cause to believe nor reasonable suspicion that the firearm is being carried contrary to the laws of the state or that either the firearm or the carrier is subject to seizure or detention in connection with the violation of any other applicable law.

So how did the court answer the question in Prouse? They held that it is unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment to seize someone to check the status of a license except where there is at least reasonable suspicion that the person is unlicensed or otherwise subject to seizure for the violation of some other law.
http://monachuslex.com/?p=

Last edited: