• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UMW President places "man with a gun" test call

Repeater

imported post

TFred wrote:
Looks like UMW thinks they are above the FOIA laws... The article quotes many of the same players who are fighting against HB 79, which protects the personal information of CHP applicants.

Read the official "reason" at the bottom. If this ever gets in front of a judge, he's going to laugh it right out the door.

TFred

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/022010/02022010/524098/

UMW won't release call

February 2, 2010 12:35 am
BY JEFF BRANSCOME

The University of Mary Washington has classified President Judy Hample's emergency call to campus police last fall as "evidence related to a criminal investigation," even though it was a test.

Jeff Branscome: 540/374-5402
Email: jbranscome@freelancestar.com

UMW's response to The Free Lance-Star's Freedom of Information Act Request:

The Freedom of Information Act (Act) lists certain exclusions from the chapter, which permit agencies to withhold certain records. The records you have requested are excluded from the provisions of the Act. Specifically, Va. Code Ann. 2.2-3706(F)(1) excludes "complaints, memoranda, correspondence, case files or reports, witness statements, and evidence relating to a criminal investigation or prosecution, other than criminal incident information as defined in subsection A." There is one record, an audio recording, that meets the description of your request for "copies of the recordings." However, your request falls within the exclusion of 2.2-3706(F)(1), because it is evidence related to a criminal investigation. As a result, the records you requested are being entirely withheld.
Consider this FOIA bill from Senator Edwards, SB711:

SB 711 Freedom of Information Act; disclosure of criminal investigative records.
Limits the exemption for criminal investigative or prosecution records to those investigations or prosecutions that are ongoing. As a result, criminal investigative and prosecution records would be open to the public after the ongoing criminal investigation or prosecution has become final or has been otherwise terminated, unless there is jeopardy to any other criminal investigation or prosecution. The bill contains technical amendments.
Look at the bill text. This bill will be considered next Monday, February 8[sup]th[/sup].

TFred

imported post

Repeater wrote:
TFred wrote:
Looks like UMW thinks they are above the FOIA laws... The article quotes many of the same players who are fighting against HB 79, which protects the personal information of CHP applicants.

Read the official "reason" at the bottom. If this ever gets in front of a judge, he's going to laugh it right out the door.

TFred

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/022010/02022010/524098/

UMW won't release call

February 2, 2010 12:35 am
BY JEFF BRANSCOME

The University of Mary Washington has classified President Judy Hample's emergency call to campus police last fall as "evidence related to a criminal investigation," even though it was a test.

Jeff Branscome: 540/374-5402
Email: jbranscome@freelancestar.com

UMW's response to The Free Lance-Star's Freedom of Information Act Request:

The Freedom of Information Act (Act) lists certain exclusions from the chapter, which permit agencies to withhold certain records. The records you have requested are excluded from the provisions of the Act. Specifically, Va. Code Ann. 2.2-3706(F)(1) excludes "complaints, memoranda, correspondence, case files or reports, witness statements, and evidence relating to a criminal investigation or prosecution, other than criminal incident information as defined in subsection A." There is one record, an audio recording, that meets the description of your request for "copies of the recordings." However, your request falls within the exclusion of 2.2-3706(F)(1), because it is evidence related to a criminal investigation. As a result, the records you requested are being entirely withheld.
Consider this FOIA bill from Senator Edwards, SB711:

SB 711 Freedom of Information Act; disclosure of criminal investigative records.
Limits the exemption for criminal investigative or prosecution records to those investigations or prosecutions that are ongoing. As a result, criminal investigative and prosecution records would be open to the public after the ongoing criminal investigation or prosecution has become final or has been otherwise terminated, unless there is jeopardy to any other criminal investigation or prosecution. The bill contains technical amendments.
Look at the bill text. This bill will be considered next Monday, February 8[sup]th[/sup].
That's a whole other issue... in this UMW case, they are basically saying that since they looked at it to see if it might be a criminal issue, they don't have to release it. They almost immediately decided it was not a criminal case, it has never been an ongoing investigation.

That's why I think the judge is going to laugh this one right out of his courtroom, with a strong lecture to the UMW folks on how to obey the law.

If anyone sues them.

ETA: I have to say, their reluctance and outright defiance of the law to release the tape makes me want to hear it all that much more. It must really make the new president look bad for them to so blatantly disregard the law to keep it under wraps.

TFred

fully_armed_biker

imported post

TheexemptionsUMW claim are not and were never intended to give any entity the ability to permanently bury otherwise public records....I certainly hope The Freelance-Star pursues this matter in court.

TFred

imported post

Well this caught me totally by surprise. The FOIA request has been in the news again recently as the school denied another request to release the tape of the 911 call.

There was also a recent investigation of inappropriate spending on some modifications to the President's home, Brompton.

Maybe the kitchen finally just got too hot...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2010/022010/judy-hample-resigns-umw-post

UMW president Judy Hample resigns
Judy Hample, president of UMW, announces resignation.

Date published: 2/19/2010

By JEFF BRANSCOME

Judy Hample has resigned as president of the University of Mary Washington effective June 30.

Her departure after just two years at the helm of the Fredericksburg institution was announced tonight following a lengthy closed session of the UMW board of visitors.

Hample declined to be interviewed after leaving the meeting, but the university issued a statement saying she plans to pursue other interests in higher education.

“I have especially enjoyed my opportunity to work with the talented faculty, gifted students and dedicated alumni of Mary Washington,” Hample said in the release.

Nanalou Sauder, rector of the board of visitors, thanked Hample for her service.

“She began the important process of charting the university’s future course, and she will be remembered for leading the institution through a time of transition,” Sauder said in a prepared statement.

Hample was appointed the eighth president of the University of Mary Washington on July 1, 2008.

Hample was UMW’s first female president when she succeeded the ousted president William Frawley, who was fired by the university after two DUI arrests.

Vice President Rick Hurley has served as acting president between Frawley’s departure in 2007 and Hample’s arrival in 2008.

Prior to coming to UMW, Hample was chancellor of Pennsylvania’s 14-campus public university system. Previously, she was chancellor and executive vice chancellor of the state university system of Florida.

The board of visitors must now select interim leadership and set a timeline for recruiting a new president.

TFred

imported post

Now that the president has resigned, the university released the tape.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2010/022010/judy-hample-911-call-umw

Wow. By the end of the call, once they find out it was a test, the dispatcher does not sound happy.

I couldn't really pick out where she said the threatening person might have a gun.

TFred

UMW releases Judy Hample's 911 call

Date published: 2/25/2010

The University of Mary Washington today released audio of President Judy Hample's test emergency call to campus police last fall.

The school had previously refused to release the tape, as requested in a Freedom of Information Act inquiry from The Free Lance-Star and the UMW Bullet.

As reason for keeping the audio, the school cited it s "evidence related to a criminal investigation," even though it was a test.

AUDIO: CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE CALL.

buster81

imported post

She certainly sounds like a wingnut on that call.

I love it when she whines: "How long's it gonna be? How far away are the police? But he's coming toward us, He's getting closer."

I can answer thosetwo questions for you wingnut. Too long, and too far. I havean idea for you though. Maybe some way to protect yourself might be a good idea.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

buster81 wrote:
She certainly sounds like a wingnut on that call.

I love it when she whines: "How long's it gonna be? How far away are the police? But he's coming toward us, He's getting closer."

I can answer thosetwo questions for you wingnut. Too long, and too far. I havean idea for you though. Maybe some way to protect yourself might be a good idea.
But guns are not allowed on campus by staff. :quirky

They're supposed to be good little victims. :X

Yata hey