• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Understanding MCL 28.428

stainless1911

Banned
Lets say that there are 2 cars driving next to each other, a chevette, and a corvette. they are alone on a straight stretch of interstate on a clear day. They are both doing 100 mph. Only one of those cars is speeding. But its the other who gets the ticket.

sprinklerguy28

SG 28. Traffic was light, and I wasn't passing anyone else out there that day, we were all driving at the same rate of speed. Reckless? Not even remotely close.

So if your "POS" had a mechanical failure and crashed, you would not be endangering anyone? Even if it was only you that crashed, there are first responders who will now risk their lives in responding to the scene. You are completely clueless about your actions. My only hope is when you screw up again you don't harm anyone else in the process.

Taurus850CIA

Lets say that there are 2 cars driving next to each other, a chevette, and a corvette. they are alone on a straight stretch of interstate on a clear day. They are both doing 100 mph. Only one of those cars is speeding. But its the other who gets the ticket.

Don't be either one of those drivers.

stainless1911

Banned
When driving across the country, often, the only thing that changes is the speed limit itself, yet somehow, the driver is considered "unsafe" just by crossing some imaginary line in the sand set by some politician who doesn't know any more about driving than about gun control.

What about those drivers in countries where they are allowed to drive as their cars are designed to drive? They are unsafe, reckless, irresponsible, with poor judgement? I think not, they are just driving to work, or coming home from the store, going much faster than my car ever could.

scot623

SG 28. Traffic was light, and I wasn't passing anyone else out there that day, we were all driving at the same rate of speed. Reckless? Not even remotely close.

The max speed limit on any Michigan public road is 70mph. By your estimates, you were doing somewhere north of the mid 100's which by my math mean you were going over 150mph in a car with a busted windshield. It is safe to say all normal people would call that reckless driving, most judges too .You clearly have bad decision making skills. I'll set the over/under at 12 months until you lose your CPL again. I'm betting the under.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
When I am in Germany, I usually drive between 200 and 215 kph. In fact, when I was in the accident last November, the car I was a passenger in was traveling at approximately 240 kmh and hit some "black ice", swung around, and hit a cement wall. Accidents do happen. Right before my accident, there were a number of cars that passed us as if we were standing still. My accident notwithstanding, this level of speed is considered acceptable on the autobahn in Germany where it is against the law to travel in the left lane unless passing another vehicle, people use their turn signals to change lanes, and being a lazy driver is not tolerated. So, I do understand the "need" for speed.
Traveling at 70 mph here in Michigan can at times feel much more dangerous than any speed I have traveled in Germany. There is no way that driving in the triple digits here in Michigan is anything other than insane. Drivers do not pay attention here and if you drive a car that is questionable in regards to safety, you are compounding the risk. It really is not worth it.

Taurus850CIA

When I am in Germany, I usually drive between 200 and 215 kph. In fact, when I was in the accident last November, the car I was a passenger in was traveling at approximately 240 kmh and hit some "black ice", swung around, and hit a cement wall. Accidents do happen. Right before my accident, there were a number of cars that passed us as if we were standing still. My accident notwithstanding, this level of speed is considered acceptable on the autobahn in Germany where it is against the law to travel in the left lane unless passing another vehicle, people use their turn signals to change lanes, and being a lazy driver is not tolerated. So, I do understand the "need" for speed.
Traveling at 70 mph here in Michigan can at times feel much more dangerous than any speed I have traveled in Germany. There is no way that driving in the triple digits here in Michigan is anything other than insane. Drivers do not pay attention here and if you drive a car that is questionable in regards to safety, you are compounding the risk. It really is not worth it.

super dancing banana.gif

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
The max speed limit on any Michigan public road is 70mph. By your estimates, you were doing somewhere north of the mid 100's which by my math mean you were going over 150mph in a car with a busted windshield. It is safe to say all normal people would call that reckless driving, most judges too .You clearly have bad decision making skills. I'll set the over/under at 12 months until you lose your CPL again. I'm betting the under.

Bwaahahaaahahahaha

My car wouldnt make it to 105 downhill with a tailwind in cold air.

stainless1911

Banned
If you will notice, when people are doing 70, they bunch up close together, they start competing for positions, they change lanes, they tailgate, they start getting angry and impatient. when they are going 85 to 90, they spread out and relax. Much safer at 85 than 70. When the speed limits are at 55, they fall asleep, or rebel.

scot623

Its not so bad. Truth is, I was very likely in the mid to upper XXX's, and got the speed down to 83 when he tagged me.

Your definition of "mid to upper XXX's" is strange at best. Most people equate each X to signify a number. By using 3 X's in a row, you implied you going over 100mph. See how that works? Let me guess...more people misunderstanding your posts, right?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Your definition of "mid to upper XXX's" is strange at best. Most people equate each X to signify a number. By using 3 X's in a row, you implied you going over 100mph. See how that works? Let me guess...more people misunderstanding your posts, right?

It could also mean that I was going just over 200mph, many cars do.

I diddn't imply anything by using a certain number of Xs. People make assumptions all the time.

PDinDetroit

I agree. What is too fast is dependent on the vehicle, not the speed limit.

This line of reasoning is why I firmly believe you will lose your CPL again.

Do you realize that your ticket could have been Reckless Driving, especially with the condition of the vehicle? Do you know that you cannot even apply for a CPL within 8 years of a Reckless Driving Conviction?

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-626-amended

scot623

It could also mean that I was going just over 200mph, many cars do.

I diddn't imply anything by using a certain number of Xs. People make assumptions all the time.

200mph is over 100mph so when I said XXX indicates over 100mph, that covered every number over 100. Spend less time trying to a smart ass and more time trying to type intelligent posts and making better choices.

Taurus850CIA

I agree. What is too fast is dependent on the vehicle, not the speed limit.

It is also dependent on the driver's ability to make good decisions. It is also at the mercy of unforeseen events. Such as black ice, deer, wind, other idiot drivers going the opposite direction losing control of their vehicle because they're GOING TOO FAST...

Your continued defense of your constant disregard of the law tells me that you don't learn well from mistakes. Have fun with whatever you make happen down the road.

COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: No personal attacks

stainless1911

Banned
Later, Homer.

See how easy it is to cross lines? Anyone can do it.

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).