• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unexpected Home Invasion

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think you did a damn fine job. I've gone over what I'd do time and time again in my mind and I can only hope I handle it half as calmly as you did...maybe with some shorts on. ;)

If I were in the situation, I'm not sure if I would've fired the moment he advanced or not. Tough call to make until you're in the situation. In my mind, I see myself yelling "Freeze. Move at all and I'll shoot." After that, any movement and I guess there will be a mess to clean up, but again...to be in the situation changes everything.

I'm very glad all turned out well. Nicely done.

kerchaulk

imported post

I am glad everything turned out o.k. I can think of a couple of things that would have made things differently for me.

You said you heard the audible chirp of the alarm? If it is anything like mine, he should have heard it too. If there is a stranger, burglar, or BG in my house they are there for no ligitimate reason. If he heard it and decided to stay anyway, he has BALLS. He stays and he is armed (knife or whatever) he really doesn't care and will harm whoever gets in his way. Correct me if I am wrong. But, 20 feet is the minimum that someone can reach you within a second. Again, I am glad that everything turned out o.k. But a clearly armed intruder in my home doesn't get the benefit of seeing my weapon. Just the muzzle flash.

Was this a single story home? I am only assuming this. Two story home I am staying at the top of the steps in a defensive posture.

kerchaulk

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glocks_rock-

You are getting a lot of second guessing and Monday morning quarterbacking, which is what you asked for. But you should remember one thing. The ENTIRE purpose for having a defensive weapon handy is to defend yourself or someone else from harm. If you can do that, and NOT kill someone, you are a lot better off.You are also in the company of about 2.5 million other people who do that same thing every year.

We are now a few days past the incident. You did not get hurt. Good scare maybe, but no injuries to you or anyone you care about. In fact you defended yourself and NOBODY got hurt. Forget cleaning up the mess, if you had shot that guy you would have thought about it for a very long time. If you killed him, you would have thought about it for a very VERY long time indeed, and your actions would have fallen under more severe critical scrutiny.

The short of this is, the only one on this forum who has the right to second guess what you did is you. Certainly others can offer their opinions, and many will tell you what they would have done had they been there. You asked and they will offer. But they weren't there, you were. The fact is when you are standing there in the dark with the weapon and the flashlight, and the bad guy turns to look at you, only you can decide what to do next. You made a judgement call, and it turned out well. Don't beat yourself up over it.

In my view, you could have fired, you could have just stayed in bed, you could have left the house, you could have done a lot of things that night. What you DID do was successfully defend yourself, both physically and financially, and after all is that not really the goal?

Tumbleweeds

imported post

I agree with everyone else you did a great job. I don't know if I could have handle it better myself. I wasn't there. You were.

James

imported post

Confused,

First you say "I was sound alseep when I heard the alarm chime go off (means door or window has been opened)."

Then you list number two, you forgot to set alarm.

????????

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

James wrote:
Confused,

First you say "I was sound alseep when I heard the alarm chime go off (means door or window has been opened)."

Then you list number two, you forgot to set alarm.

????????
Some alarms will chime once when a window or door is opened even when the actual alarm is not set to go off. When the alarm is actually set a very loud and continuous alarm will sound.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Did not turn the flashlight or other lights on until the BG was seen in the kitchen and cleared each room as you came to it?

Curious - how did you clear these rooms with the lights off? Just askin'.

And surely with the unusual circumstances (naked man) there was some news report of the event. Link?

Appreciate.

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Did not turn the flashlight or other lights on until the BG was seen in the kitchen and cleared each room as you came to it?

Curious - how did you clear these rooms with the lights off? Just askin'.

And surely with the unusual circumstances (naked man) there was some news report of the event. Link?

Appreciate.

Yata hey

The original OP says this -

Glocks_Rock wrote:
I grabbed my glasses my cell, the flashlight and of course Big Dawg. I kicked the saftey off and started down the hall clearing the door ways as I went, with the light off(did not want to let the person knowI was up) So I made it into the living room and there are a stranger in my house looking for things to take.

SNIP...
The implication is that he only cleared the doorways not the rooms, but he did have a flashlight, and it is possible that with his eyes adjusted to the dark that light coming in the windows would be sufficient.

Tomahawk

imported post

I can see just fine by moonlight inside my house at night, especially with streetlamps on outside. I think that I would probably refrain from using my flashlight at first, too, since it broadcasts to the intruder my location before I even see him.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Ummm....

You say you heard the alarm go off, but you said you forgot to set the alarm..

Am I reading that correctly?

Or are you talking about a 'ding-dong' style 7-11 door entry chime?

khicks

imported post

Glocks rock i am glad that you and your family will be fine, i hope you take all the kidding for the fun intended. we needed to hear that we need to keep somthing to put on, near our beds just in case we have to get up in the middel of the night. :what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Ummm....

You say you heard the alarm go off, but you said you forgot to set the alarm..

Am I reading that correctly?

Or are you talking about a 'ding-dong' style 7-11 door entry chime?
Read the OP - page1, post 1.

"I was sound asleep when I heard the alarm chime go off (means door or window has been opened)"

Most systems when disarmed will chime when a door or window is opened - not a continuous alarm signal as when they are armed/turned on.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

oklaccer wrote:
Great - Danbus has a BMWAG cap.

Now the cap of the dayis NMWAG.

What's next?
Hopefully CMWAG = college man (Miss or Mrs.) with a gun.

Such hat to be issued by the school to all students at Virginia Tech with CHPs along with the authorization to carry on campus, in the buildings, in classrooms and dorms - everywhere.

Actually, this should apply to all Va. colleges.

Yata hey

Yata hey

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Glocks_Rock wrote:

I decsrcibed my self and gave instructions for police to safely enter my house, I also told the dispatcher thatI was undressed so that the police would not be taken off gaurd.

Okay, so I'm assuming it didn't take too long to tell the cops exactly what you were wearing! "I have on a skin-colored birthday suit and a..." I'd better leave it at that, with my sense of humor I could take it so much farther but I'll keep it relatively clean for now!!

Suffice it to say you did an excellent job and exercised more self-control than most people would be able to! I agree with the gentleman who said at the first forward movement that was made by the indruder my trigger finger would have made a rearward movement! I've gotta' add to that and say mine would have made at least two or three rearward movements!!