• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upcoming CCW + Open Carry Class

hunter9mm

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Mr. Greg wrote:
I love the irony that the belly-acher trolls...
What is the feigned ignorance, please?

A good working definition of irony is ignorance feigned to make a point. I think of irony as a sledge-hammer (to which all is nail) to reason.

Another (in fact several other) definition(s) are:

I·ro·ny[suP]1[/suP] 
–noun,plural-nies.
the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
Literature.
a.
a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
b.
(esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
Socratic irony.
dramatic irony.
an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
the incongruity of this.
an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

Where your use, as explained in Definition 3 is useful, but does not apply here, while the # 5 definition is pertinent in the previous post by Mr. Greg.

So Doug, I for one would enjoy sharing knowledge related to OPEN CARRY experiences, laws, and just plain BS stories, but this forum gets harder and harder to read every day with your futile attempts to justify your intelligence.
I can only ask "WHY" and skim past your responses, because, like many here, I am trying to learn as much as I can about the entire OC experience, andam not interestedin the childish bickering and excersize in semantics practiced here.

hunter9mm

imported post

:dude:
th_troll.gif

IA_farmboy

imported post

This is an open carry site and advertising for a CCW class is in violation of the forum rules.

Since one is required to have a permit to carry openly in Minnesota, North Dakota, Indiana (and soon Iowa, hopefully) then a class that would get one a permit that is recognized in those states should be well within the rules of this board. IMHO, of course.

There would be a bonus if the course covered some of the legal pitfalls of unlicensed open carry in Wisconsin.

(Disclaimer: My picking on Minnesota, North Dakota, Indiana and Iowa was only because they are in proximity to Wisconsin. There may be other states that will recognize the training for a license to open carry. IANAL, check with local regulations, offer not valid in Illinois.)

I have a permit from Florida, I am in the process of getting one from Utah, and will get one from Iowa when/if the permit to carry reform bill before the governor becomes law. I do that so I can legally carry (open, concealed, or both, depending on the state) in 34 states (at last count).

JJC

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
This is an open carry site and advertising for a CCW class is in violation of the forum rules.

Since one is required to have a permit to carry openly in Minnesota, North Dakota, Indiana (and soon Iowa, hopefully) then a class that would get one a permit that is recognized in those states should be well within the rules of this board. IMHO, of course.

There would be a bonus if the course covered some of the legal pitfalls of unlicensed open carry in Wisconsin.

(Disclaimer: My picking on Minnesota, North Dakota, Indiana and Iowa was only because they are in proximity to Wisconsin. There may be other states that will recognize the training for a license to open carry. IANAL, check with local regulations, offer not valid in Illinois.)

I have a permit from Florida, I am in the process of getting one from Utah, and will get one from Iowa when/if the permit to carry reform bill before the governor becomes law. I do that so I can legally carry (open, concealed, or both, depending on the state) in 34 states (at last count).
Handgunlaw.us shows the following states honor the florida non-res permit. Utah is included.
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado Delaware
Georgia Idaho Indiana Kansas Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Mississippi Missouri Montana New Hampshire Nebraska
New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania
South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Virginia
Washington West Virginia Wyoming

Tree_Planter

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
With carry by permit you have to first obtain a permit for that state, then observe the permit requirements. Florida is concealed carry only and requires you carry and present a valid Florida permit when requested by a law enforcement officer. Michigan, by comparison, does not issue non-resident permits.

In Wisconsin, unlicensed open carry requires no permit or physical ID, and any non-prohibited person from any state can carry. (State laws must still be observed.)

A Permit to Carry is just that, permission to carry.

If by "pitfalls" you mean court decisions that add restrictions or carve out exceptions, it will be difficult to find an instructor with the experience to detail that.

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
IA_farmboy wrote:
Those are covered free here, just ask. The only fee paid legal advice worth what you paid for it is from your personal attorney. Fee for no-service legal advice from ANAL is worth less.
So we may put that in perspective, what exactly is that advice worth. :lol:

Yata hey

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
So we may put that in perspective, what exactly is that advice worth. :lol: Yata hey
Exactly as much as you paid for it. If some consideration was promised then it would be worth less.

In re consideration; what is the consideration in a contract with a "gun instructor"? For that matter, is there necessarily a contract or merely a subscription or admittance fee? Without a statute or regulation we'll never know I suppose.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation and its thugs.
Print as wallet card. Notarize if desired. Laminate after signatures. Copyright © DBH
============================================================
The undersigned certifies that the four precepts of safe gun handling are understood and memorized; LOADED[sup][1][/sup], MUZZLE[sup][2][/sup], TRIGGER[sup][3][/sup], TARGET[sup][4][/sup] and that firing a gun requires violation of one or more of these precepts of safe gun handling. Footnotes overleaf.

The undersigned certifies that the four elements of common-law self-defense are understood and memorized; 1) be innocent of instigation, 2) be in reasonable fear of bodily harm, 3) use sufficient force only to deliver oneself from evil, 4) attempt to withdraw. The undersigned acknowledges that local statutes may further restrict or expand common law.

I,________________ certify this day, __________________ that the above is true

Signed:
========================OVERLEAF============================
[1] LOADED- All guns are LOADED until they are not, proven to the satisfaction of all involved.

[2] MUZZLE - Cover with the MUZZLE only that which would be destroyed.

[3] TRIGGER - Keep your finger off the TRIGGER. Keep YOUR finger off the TRIGGER.

[4] TARGET - Know your TARGET and what is beyond.

One or more of these precepts of safe gun handling MUST BE VIOLATED to fire a gun.
============================================================
There, you're certified in accordance with Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Regulations on 03/21/2010

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The legal pitfalls of any manner of carry are the same, except, in Wisconsin we don't have the additional pitfall of being caught without a permit on our person. Legal pitfalls are related to the use of the weapon not the manner in which it is being toted around, unless of course you carry it in your hand and "brandish" it. My opinion.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Lammie wrote:
I, too would like to reiterrate that this forum is dedicated, as the name opencarry.org implies, to open carry. There are other forums dedicated to concealed carry. What you personally do in regards to concealed carry is your business just don't make it the business of this forum.

Wisconsin Carry inc. is welcomed to this forum because it is carry neutral and endorses the manner of carry of firearms for personal protection at the discretion of the carrier.

In regards to Doug. With all the bashing he has undergone we are fortunate that he has the hide of a rhinocerous. When I joined this forum in 2007 as Wisconsin member 13 Doug had already been a member for some time. There is no question of his dedication to firearm freedom and of his knowledge of state law concerning firearms. Sometimes he may appear controversial and speak in riddles but it is always for the purpose of making us think harder. Some people may even feel personally attacked, but as Harry Truman said "If you can't stand the heat. Get out of the kitchen".
Well said Lammie

By the way, are these courses accredited? And by whom are they recognized?

JJC

imported post

Yes, these courses accredited? They recognized by the following states.

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado Delaware
Georgia Idaho Indiana Kansas Kentucky Louisiana
Michigan Mississippi Missouri Montana New Hampshire Nebraska
New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania
South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Virginia
Washington West Virginia Wyoming

JJC

I will give Wisconsin Carry members a discount.