• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT*** Need Statues

CDT COX

UPDATE:

Wow, I know its been a long time since this ordeal started, but I sent my appeal letter Tuesday so the judge should have recieved it yesterday. I included my home address and email so I have my parents on the look out for mail back at home and I check my email daily.

What do you think is a reasonable time to wait for a response? 2 weeks?

sultan62

I probably wouldn't wait another week. I'd try to call tomorrow, though I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get an answer on a Friday. Start calling pretty regularly on Monday IMO.

CDT COX

If I don't get anything in todays mail, I'm going to start calling tomorrow

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I don't dislike cops. I just dislike bad cops, and every cop who looks the other way is a bad cop, plain and simple.

+1

Clothes_dont_make_a_man.jpg

CDT COX

After pestering them with calls, I got them to admit they are looking it over and will call me laster this week. I have finals all Thursday and Friday morning. If I dont hear from them by Friday at 1700, I will start calling Monday at 0805.

CDT COX

Update: Well this is long overdue

I think my last post left off with me sending a letter to the Chief Judge of my district court. I received a voice mail from the clerk saying that the judge can't issue an order(which the sheriff says is the only way he'll issue my permit) without a pending motion before the court or a case. I'm still not aware how I "do" a motion (can anyone help).

Furthermore, the dept. has been under investigation by the SBI because of some recent questionable things involving their officers. About a week ago I was talking to a co-worker about OC and she asked about conceal carry. I told her you have to take a class then get the permit. A different co-worker piped in and said no you don’t have to take a class, when I told her you do, she told me that she didn't take a class and she still got one(CHP) and she also got a purchase permit for her son(he turns 18 next month). I later learned that she is some type kin to the sheriff. Basically this whole department things they have their own rules or something.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Called today, spoke with Assistant Attorney General Joy Strickland. I told her I was denied for being 18 and without skipping a beat, asked for my email to send me this .pdf stating that it is perfectly legal. Glad she knew what was up! I'm gonna go home tomorrow and re-apply with this new info in hand. If the Sheriff doesn't see that it is legal, she told me to call her office back.

I talked to an attorney yesterday. I showed her everything I had including the supporting statutes, denied application, and the info the AAG gave me, then I asked her about how to appeal to the Chief District Court judge since the clerk at the court house couldn’t give me an answer. She told me to call the AAG back and get her to call the Sheriff. ...

I'm sorry, I must have missed it...

What did the AAG say, or recommend, when you called her back?

mekender

Update: Well this is long overdue

I think my last post left off with me sending a letter to the Chief Judge of my district court. I received a voice mail from the clerk saying that the judge can't issue an order(which the sheriff says is the only way he'll issue my permit) without a pending motion before the court or a case. I'm still not aware how I "do" a motion (can anyone help).

Furthermore, the dept. has been under investigation by the SBI because of some recent questionable things involving their officers. About a week ago I was talking to a co-worker about OC and she asked about conceal carry. I told her you have to take a class then get the permit. A different co-worker piped in and said no you don’t have to take a class, when I told her you do, she told me that she didn't take a class and she still got one(CHP) and she also got a purchase permit for her son(he turns 18 next month). I later learned that she is some type kin to the sheriff. Basically this whole department things they have their own rules or something.

At this point, you sue... And in the suit, you name both the department and the Sheriff by name. You ask for a summary judgement, attorney's fees, damages (being denied your rights is something you can get damages awarded for) and for the hell of it, you toss in a challenge to the permitting system as being unconstitutional as applied because it is a clear violation of the Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

You wont likely win at the local level but I would guess you would win at the state or circuit level.