• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Use caution with glove-box carry on school grounds . . .

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It has to do with the funding. The VCDL President told me this in his email response:

Indeed, most of the funding for the school system does come from the state. The county does also contribute a significant portion. I wonder it that would help my cause.

Just because the local school board receives any funding from the state (which receives most of their funding from the federal government) does not make the local school board a state agency. Since when are members of a state agency elected by the registered voters of only one sub-unit of state government? (eta) And since when does a state agency decide how members of committees/subcommittees are selected by holding a local election (which is what local school boards would have to be if they are part of a state agency)?

I swear, the same whatever that make people believe that because the name says "X National Bank" it has to be a federal facility must be spreading.:banghead:

As for
skidmark v. Board of Education
I'd be proud to volunteer, but unfortunately I have no standing so cannot.

stay safe.

Last edited:

B0wman

Now I'm curious if there has been any cases where the court has said that school employees are state (not municipal) employees. Has anyone heard of any?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
My wife was a school teacher in VA for years. Her W2s say Fauquier County Board of Supervisors. You're going to have a tough time convincing me (and probably the IRS) that the BOS is a state agency...

Roscoe

2a4all

Just because the local school board receives any funding from the state (which receives most of their funding from the federal government) does not make the local school board a state agency. Since when are members of a state agency elected by the registered voters of only one sub-unit of state government? (eta) And since when does a state agency decide how members of committees/subcommittees are selected by holding a local election (which is what local school boards would have to be if they are part of a state agency)?

I swear, the same whatever that make people believe that because the name says "X National Bank" it has to be a federal facility must be spreading.:banghead:

As for skidmark v. Board of Education I'd be proud to volunteer, but unfortunately I have no standing so cannot.

stay safe.
You'd have standing if you became a teacher:shocker:

Lasjayhawk

I'm just curious, is there empirical evidence or experience upon which you base such an optimistic supposition? In my experience, most "educated" educators are rabidly anti-gun.

TFred

My 85 year old dad has had his Ed.D. since 1968 and was a Superintendent of Schools for over 30 years. He has had at least 1 firearm since he was 6. I guess he never got bit by a rabid liberal! :monkey

johnfenter

Disagree that a local school board is a state agency....

A careful look will show that the School Board is organized under the City Charter or County, NOT the SBOE. Just because local employees may be forced into the VRE system does not make the locality a state agency. I made the Chairman of the Virginia Beach School Board admit as much at a Tidewater Libertarian Meeting, and the Virginia News Source has it on video.

2a4all

A careful look will show that the School Board is organized under the City Charter or County, NOT the SBOE. Just because local employees may be forced into the VRE system does not make the locality a state agency. I made the Chairman of the Virginia Beach School Board admit as much at a Tidewater Libertarian Meeting, and the Virginia News Source has it on video.
Then there's this, from Newport News Municode

Sec. 2-93. - Definitions.
hyperlink.png

As used in this article, the following words and terms shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section:​
(1) Employee. Those persons employed by the City of Newport News. Employee shall also include the constitutional officers and their employees, the registrar and the registrar's employees, the sheriff and the sheriff's employees, and the clerk of court and the clerk's employees. The term employee shall not include independent contractors nor shall it include school board employees, boards and commission members or employees of agencies for which the city acts as fiscal agent.

wylde007

The term employee shall not include independent contractors nor shall it include school board employees, boards and commission members or employees of agencies for which the city acts as fiscal agent.
The reason for that is "School Board" is an independent municipal entity. They have their own elected board, their own budget and their own facilities.

For comparison, "public works" is a department. "Public utilities" is a department. Their funding comes from the city budget. School Boards have their own operations and budgets.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It has been so long since a Nap was in the public school system that Peter probably was not even paying attention when the School Boards stole the taxing authority from the city/county governments. And being the proud Progressive that he is, he never bothers to read his tax bill, let alone follow the yearly debacle of setting the tax rates - all he wants to know is will they be satisfied with a voluntary contribution of an additional 10% as his "fair share", or if that will look like a cheapskate tip.

stay safe.

TFred

The reason for that is "School Board" is an independent municipal entity. They have their own elected board, their own budget and their own facilities.

For comparison, "public works" is a department. "Public utilities" is a department. Their funding comes from the city budget. School Boards have their own operations and budgets.

I just sat in a city council meeting this week, where it was revealed that fully one-third of the entire city budget went to the school board. That doesn't sound very "independent" to me.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It has been so long since a Nap was in the public school system that Peter probably was not even paying attention when the School Boards stole the taxing authority from the city/county governments. And being the proud Progressive that he is, he never bothers to read his tax bill, let alone follow the yearly debacle of setting the tax rates - all he wants to know is will they be satisfied with a voluntary contribution of an additional 10% as his "fair share", or if that will look like a cheapskate tip.

stay safe.

I don't think we had public schools back then. The town just hired a School Marm, usually a looksom widder wooman. I do recall an exchange Marm from Brazil though.

We certainly didn't take guns. I was told the other day we didn't have open carry in Virginia until.....Damn Al Gore has a big family.

I don't pay taxes that way. I just have to deliver some taters to the county.:eek:

Gotta go site in my HUNTING rifle now that I'm cutting the budget enough to buy an extra pound of powder.

Footnote: Yes, some people do understand this

Last edited:

2a4all

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 2a4all
The term employee shall not include independent contractors nor shall it include school board employees, boards and commission members or employees of agencies for which the city acts as fiscal agent.

Clears it (or what) up for whom?

Not all school boards are elected; each municipality has the option of having elected or appointed boards.

What do you think is the source of school board funding? School boards submit their budgets to the City Council for funding.

As for facilities, localities own, provide and maintain them.

B0wman

If by "localities" you mean the city or county government, then this is not always true. My school district owns and maintains all their own facilities.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
If by "localities" you mean the city or county government, then this is not always true. My school district owns and maintains all their own facilities.
Check the money trail. In my county the School Board owns the buildings, but the money comes from the county. 31% of the county budget goes to education. The next largest slice of the pie is 17% for public safety, (Police, FD, etc..)

B0wman

Check the money trail. In my county the School Board owns the buildings, but the money comes from the county. 31% of the county budget goes to education. The next largest slice of the pie is 17% for public safety, (Police, FD, etc..)

Our school money is about 55% state, 15% federal, and 30% local. Most of the state money goes to salaries, which I guess is the argument being made by the "powers that be." :confused:

wylde007

What do you think is the source of school board funding? School boards submit their budgets to the City Council for funding.
Fair enough, but they are autonomous. They operate as a municipal entity, not a state entity.

Yes, the cities budget money TO the school board, but the school board budgets to itself. Maybe that's not true everywhere, and if it isn't I apologize for presuming that it was. In Virginia Beach it is. In Virginia Beach the School maintains its own facilities, has its own separate health and retirement plans, has its own operations division and its own legal department, all independent of City resources. If it is true that not all jurisdictions operate this way, then they only do so by permission (as you mentioned) of the state BOE.
Not necessarily. See above.