• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia credit union asked me to leave

Old Virginia Joe

Nonsense.

Y'all act like this is actually an issue. There are literally thousands of business of every sort eager to accept your cash. In my opinion, a person is a fool to force another to take his money.

So, I suppose, you think all those African Americans who did sit ins and protests of the "white-only" businesses were, as you stated, "fools?" I didn't hear you using that kind of language during the civil rights fight days. I see no difference, and I sense there are many others on here who also see the parallels here. They, also, were fighting to "force another to take (their) money." If we had not had the one situation (businesses forced to admit everyone), I might agree with you, but we DID, and now, you want to deny the other (gun rights) situation. Come on, man, be consistent, at least!

SicSemperTyrannis

Thank you, Virginia Credit Union! I've been a member for 11 years, and now I don't have to close all of my accounts and transfer my loans. Surely, Virginia Credit Union must know that their competitors allow firearms in their branches. Wells Fargo made their branch managers take down the "no firearms" signs from the front door the same weekend they took over Wachovia. First Market and Commonwealth One FCU also allows firearms in their branches. Sounds to me like Chris Shockley struck an appropriate balance. Of course, all of us know that adding a firearm into certain types of situations is not helpful, and I don't think he needs to worry that anyone here would start some sort of shoot-out over a note passing robbery. If you read back on the Richmond tab of this forum, we've all noticed a half-dozen members who routinely mention being in Virginia Credit Union branches open-carrying without problems.... Including very recently.

Since we know Virginia Credit Union is reading this, would it be helpful if some of you noted your appreciation? Out of two pages of posts, only two people have mentioned being members (I make a third person).

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So, I suppose, you think all those African Americans who did sit ins and protests of the "white-only" businesses were, as you stated, "fools?" I didn't hear you using that kind of language during the civil rights fight days. I see no difference, and I sense there are many others on here who also see the parallels here. They, also, were fighting to "force another to take (their) money." If we had not had the one situation (businesses forced to admit everyone), I might agree with you, but we DID, and now, you want to deny the other (gun rights) situation. Come on, man, be consistent, at least!

Sorry, I'm not going to fall for invalid and emotional comparisons.

First of all, the civil rights movement should have stopped at government-enforced segregation.

Secondly, the private segregation faced by blacks was nearly universal in some places. Again, we armed Virginians can go almost anywhere.

And yet y'all want to change the law to force PF Changs to take your money? Fools!

By the way, do not tell me to be consistent. I have continuously said one thing about your reasoning: two wrongs do not make a right. That's quite consistent, thank you sir.

Last edited:

taurusfan

Why not just LEAVE the gun in the car if asked?

Maybe they asked you but 5 minutes later said nothing to me or someone else they know.

Protesting "it was not posted" and writing letters may result in signs going up at all their branches.

Old Virginia Joe

First of all, the civil rights movement should have stopped at government-enforced segregation.

Secondly, the private segregation faced by blacks was nearly universal in some places. Again, we armed Virginians can go almost anywhere.

FOA, wishful thinking about the civil rights movement and where it "should have stopped" ain't the reality of today.

Secondly, you may not know history, but the fact is segregation in those days and before had created a major economic window of opportunity for minority-owned business owners to cater to and sell to those segregated classes, all around the country, and it was many of those same business people who are still sorry today that de-segregation forced them to lose their profitable economic zones they had developed over generations. Business, professional, and tradespeople of all kinds did well economically. I did not make this up. I learned this from listening to the minority histories and hearing them tell their stories of how they used good-old capitalism to raise themselves up, in spite of segregation, quite comfortably, they would add. So, they could get whatever they needed, from their own community. They did not have to force anyone to take their money. Today, we can't have an exclusive 2A business community.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Maybe they asked you but 5 minutes later said nothing to me or someone else they know.

Protesting "it was not posted" and writing letters may result in signs going up at all their branches.

I will not abrogate my responsibility to protect my life and that of my loved ones for even one (1) minute. Would chose to go elsewhere.
It is not matter of signage - it is a matter of intent & consistency.

VACU has done the responsible thing - I thank them.

Lyndsy Simon

When I was looking for a bank, I met with the branch manager at a Wells Fargo in Charlottesville. I explicitly asked him if there was a policy re: open and concealed carry by customers, and that I was looking to move all my banking somewhere that allowed me to go armed in their branches.

He was fairly sure it was fine, but called corporate with me in his office. They confirmed it was fine, on speakerphone, and that my business was welcome there.

Apparently VACU is a similar situation.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
FOA, wishful thinking about the civil rights movement and where it "should have stopped" ain't the reality of today.

I guess you missed the part about two wrongs not making a right.

Secondly, you may not know history, but the fact is segregation in those days and before had created a major economic window of opportunity for minority-owned business owners to cater to and sell to those segregated classes, all around the country, and it was many of those same business people who are still sorry today that de-segregation forced them to lose their profitable economic zones they had developed over generations. Business, professional, and tradespeople of all kinds did well economically. I did not make this up. I learned this from listening to the minority histories and hearing them tell their stories of how they used good-old capitalism to raise themselves up, in spite of segregation, quite comfortably, they would add. So, they could get whatever they needed, from their own community. They did not have to force anyone to take their money.

Thanks for making my argument for me.

Today, we can't have an exclusive 2A business community.

We don't need to. There's no "major economic window" to cater specially to us, because everybody already serves us. Well, except PF Changs and Cracker Barrel (a handful of crappy corporate places, basically). Good riddance to 'em anyway.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Leave an unattended firearm unsupervised? Even if you have an actual safe (not automobile security container) welded to your car's frame it still not theft proof.

When you go into a financial institution there are two very real possibilities - 1) you are bringing in cash, or 2) you will be bringing out cash. Both good reasons for someone to want to ask you to give the money to them instead of to the bank. Having your handgun with you may be sufficient deterrent, or it may be that which allows a dynamic situation to be resolved in your favor.

Is it possible you did not consider these matters? Or did you consider them not worthwhile?

stay safe.

sidestreet

Once again...,

I'd like to point out something that almost always goes unnoticed, yet JesterP99 hit it on the head, that being, he correctly used the term "MEMBER" where others are using the term "CUSTOMER". Doesn't sound like much of a difference, BUT IT IS, A BIG DIFFERENCE!!! (not yelling by the way, just emphasizing) There is a huge difference in how banks view customers and Credit Unions see their members.

Kudos to you JesterP99 for recognizing that, and all that had a part in rectifying the matter. We are never better than when we are together.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

ClumsyCandy

First thought: Those of you off topic, STOP! How many times have we said EVEN IN THIS THREAD to act like adults!

Second thought: I've NEVER had a problem OCing at VACU, Short Pump or Glen Allen. I had mine on while we changed the names on my accounts after we got married. That's how much I felt supported by them, my husband is the one who earns a paycheck, yet we closed out his bank account and moved everything to VACU where I've been a member for 15 years now. And trust me, I've been noticed. I'm always noticed when I OC. PeterNap thinks its my butt.

richarcm

I've been a VACU member for almost 20 years. Not because they were just another place to keep my money and get loans but because they have had a small town local sense of customer service. Part of that to me has always been that they've been respectful of my choice to carry a gun for self defense. Not necessarily because I might need it inside of the bank but because I might from my car, through their parking lots and on my way inside or outside.

I prefer not to bank in a gun free zone that ends up about as free of "gun violence" as other "gun free" banking institutions, public schools and the like. I prefer to bank where I know there is a mutual respect and tolerance for the safety of the employees and the customers. My safety is derived from my ability to carry the appropriate tools. I respect the fact that VACU can ban guns on their property if they like and ask those who carry them to leave. But if that happens I will be finding another local banking institution to hold my money.

I've personally never had any problems at all with VACU. I hope that doesn't change. I like how they do business, how they treat their customers and how they've always been tolerant of gun owners. I see no logical reason that that should change

Thank you VACU for doing the right thing and continuing to allow peaceful gun owners carry out their business with you.

Last edited:

taurusfan

Leave an unattended firearm unsupervised? Even if you have an actual safe (not automobile security container) welded to your car's frame it still not theft proof.

Is it possible you did not consider these matters? Or did you consider them not worthwhile?

stay safe.

I think it's best to avoid any sort of confrontation when asked to leave a premises or when asked to do illegal things by LEO in the street.

Follow up with higher authorities.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think it's best to avoid any sort of confrontation when asked to leave a premises or when asked to do illegal things by LEO in the street.

Follow up with higher authorities.

I agree with you.

But your original post was not about leaving and then addressing the issue with higher levels of management - it was about caving in to a request to go back outside, take off your handgun, and then come back in and do your business. IMHO you lose a lot of ground to stand on if you do that because doing so indicates you are really are not that upset/offended by the request.

BTW - confrontation is different from aggression or rage. For example, we are involved in a confrontation right here.

stay safe.

JesterP99

I'm worried someone is going to see me remove my firearm and call the cops and I'll be charged with brandishing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

DocWalker

My favorite part is when the executive said that other patrons felt uncomfortable....NOW HEAR THIS, NOW HEAR THIS WE RE GOING TO SUSPEND THE US CONSTITUTION AS IT MIGHT MAKE SOMEONE FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE....

Maverick9

Not sure if serious.

True, dat. It's tempting to dialog, and by that I mean whine about it. :)

papa bear

Sorry, I'm not going to fall for invalid and emotional comparisons.

And yet y'all want to change the law to force PF Changs to take your money? Fools!

By the way, do not tell me to be consistent. I have continuously said one thing about your reasoning: two wrongs do not make a right. That's quite consistent, thank you sir.

i don't understand this and i never will. if a business is "open to public access", then there are laws that they have to abide by. i can see no reason a business should not have to respect our constitutional right to carry, and also to protect ourselves. i have not heard a good reason yet

I will not abrogate my responsibility to protect my life and that of my loved ones for even one (1) minute. Would chose to go elsewhere.
It is not matter of signage - it is a matter of intent & consistency.

VACU has done the responsible thing - I thank them.

good post GRAPESHOT. right on the money. if you look at GLOCKFANS location, you will see his attitude. not that i don't welcome contrary thinking. i hope that he can make a good argument

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
i don't understand this and i never will. if a business is "open to public access", then there are laws that they have to abide by. i can see no reason a business should not have to respect our constitutional right to carry, and also to protect ourselves. i have not heard a good reason yet

You can't imagine a single business that might have a good reason to disallow guns on the premises? Swimming pools? Amusement parks?

I just don't see any reason why I should enforce my preference on everyone. If someone wants to start their anti-2A coffee shop where they and all their soccer mom friends can "feel safe", well why shouldn't they have that right? What makes you so special?

The good news is y'all will never get what you want in this regard. It's too illogical; there's too many cases where too many people will agree "yeah, maybe there they should be allowed to ban guns..." Not to mention you don't even have anything like universal support within the gun rights crowd.

I mean, right off the bat, good luck convincing basically anyone that there aren't "bars" in Virginia and that "bars" shouldn't have the right to ban guns. (Frankly, I think they should obviously have this right. I just choose not to frequent them.)

Last edited: