• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told that the Washington State Convention Center is Private Property

Jeff Hayes

When I had called earlier this week I was told that I would have an answer by Thursday and I had told them that I would call them on Friday.

So, I called today. Left another message, was assured that Mr Blosser would call me back the lady double checked my phone number.

I should have had a call back by now, but no, this Jeff Blosser guy seems to either not care about following the law, is to lazy to make sure it's been "researched" by the legal team, and/or is just an anti-freedom creep. Any which way of it, it would seem that they need more people calling in to find out the answer.

The number is posted in an earlier post. So CALL early and call often until they answer the bloody question of, Is the convention center going to follow the law or not?

You are getting the run around just like I have got, I wonder of SAF would be willing to help us a single letter form them may put this to an end.

Freedom1Man

You are getting the run around just like I have got, I wonder of SAF would be willing to help us a single letter form them may put this to an end.

Likely not, they were resistant to even get the Kirkland Municipal court to come into compliance with the law. They did make the call to inform them of the issue though.

Fallschirjmäger

Just a curious question...

There isn't anything to stop a 'concerned third party' from calling the number you posted (you did post it, didn't you?) and asking the same question you are interested in, is there?

Somebody in the same city... or same county..
For that matter, with the proliferation of cellphones and nationwide calling plans, it wouldn't even be a long distance charge for most people to call and politely make an inquiry.

Or two

Or a dozen. Them may even decide to give an answer.

Difdi

There isn't anything to stop a 'concerned third party' from calling the number you posted (you did post it, didn't you?) and asking the same question you are interested in, is there?

Police have recently "discovered" the cute little trick of charging people who do that with harassment and even witness tampering.

Of course, so far courts have not been amused by what amounts to criminal charges of petitioning the government for redress of grievances and conspiracy to petition the government...

Freedom1Man

Just a curious question...

Somebody in the same city... or same county..
For that matter, with the proliferation of cellphones and nationwide calling plans, it wouldn't even be a long distance charge for most people to call and politely make an inquiry.

Or two

Or a dozen. Them may even decide to give an answer.

If YOU have any questions feel free to call
Jeff Blosser
President/CEO
206-694-5010

It's posted on the web site for the Washington State Convention center so I am not posting private information...

Freedom1Man

Police have recently "discovered" the cute little trick of charging people who do that with harassment and even witness tampering.

Of course, so far courts have not been amused by what amounts to criminal charges of petitioning the government for redress of grievances and conspiracy to petition the government...

It's not witness tampering. There are no charges.

It's only harassment if the SAME person keeps doing it over and over. I started with the civil approach and they have refused. I guess the next step would be for a handful of interested individuals to show up acting in the questioned but lawful manner and inquire in person or at least take a tour of the building. Just remember that a CPL would be required for this activity.

boatswain

The ground floor and lower areas of the WSCC are generally open to the public and have several cafes, Starbucks, a Fedex store etc. It's only the upper floors which check for badges during an event. If there is no event, then the exhibition floors are locked off. Anyone is able to visit other areas of the building however.

Also, the aptly named Freeway Park adjoins the WSCC at the top level. One definitely *needs* to be armed in that area. I assume the SPD has been notified of Seattle's new policy in parks since they lost the lawsuit?

Fallschirjmäger

There's a adage that says the police can arrest you for eating a ham sandwich on Sunday. I'm unaware of such a charge being made against anyone or a conviction, could you give a citation or at least the details of such?

So long as you do not abuse the 911 dispatch system, you are free to inform the police of a non-emergency (there's a loose dog in the neighborhood) to your heart's content.
"Witness tampering"? Are you aware of the definition of the phrase?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

UPDATE:

I finally got hold of
Jeff Blosser
President/CEO
206-694-5010
, and he is still checking with the legal counsel because they don't want to offend any event that might rent the space there. They are trying to be as anti-gun as possible while still being with in the law.

He told me that the event planners, organizers, WTFE, don't want guns in any of the events and so they are trying to craft wording that will be "legal" and have not figured out what it will take to follow the law.

I told him that if they don't want guns then they should announce that they don't want them there and not sell tickets to an event to someone who is legally openly carrying, like I was.

Oh, they should not have to do that.....

I think it's time for more calls to be made so it's not just my voice that they are hearing from.

boatswain

UPDATE:

I finally got hold of
Jeff Blosser
President/CEO
206-694-5010
, and he is still checking with the legal counsel because they don't want to offend any event that might rent the space there. They are trying to be as anti-gun as possible while still being with in the law.

He told me that the event planners, organizers, WTFE, don't want guns in any of the events and so they are trying to craft wording that will be "legal" and have not figured out what it will take to follow the law.

I told him that if they don't want guns then they should announce that they don't want them there and not sell tickets to an event to someone who is legally openly carrying, like I was.

Did he say 'all guns' or just open carry? CPL is clearly pre-empted for WSCC.

Freedom1Man

Update

I am now being charged with a violation Seattle Municipal Code 12A.08.040(A) over the incident.

Title 12A - CRIMINAL CODE
Subtitle I - Criminal Code
Chapter 12A.08 - OFFENSES AGAINST PROPERTY

12A.08.040 Criminal trespass.

A.1. A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.
2. Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.
B.1. A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the second degree if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises of another under circumstances not constituting criminal trespass in the first degree.
2. Criminal trespass in the second degree is a misdemeanor.
C. In any prosecution under Section 12A.08.040 A or B, it is an affirmative defense that:
1. A building involved in an offense under Section 12A.08.040 A was abandoned; or
2. The premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises; or
3. The actor reasonably believed that the owner of the premises, or other person empowered to license access thereto, would have licensed him or her to enter or remain; or
4. The actor was attempting to serve legal process, which includes any document required or allowed to be served upon persons or property by any statute, rule, ordinance, regulation, or court order, excluding delivery by the mails of the United States. This defense applies only if the actor did not enter into a private residence or other building not open to the public and the entry onto the premises was reasonable and necessary for service of the legal process.

If anyone wants to show some support I will post the court date.

If anyone is/knows court procedure that would/could consult with me, please PM me. I believe that the time to charge me had elapsed due to the fact that I was first arrested for this around 08NOV2013.... No charges had been filed when I showed up to court....

Geerolla

I was trespassed out of the WSCC for my lawful carry of a pistol.

I was told by two strange men who claimed to be security that my carrying there was illegal because there was a code of conduct posted and that there are posted "no weapons" signs ALL OVER the building and that I should have seen it when I entered.

I had to look and found 1 sign on the ground floor that showed that I was except from the weapons prohibition under RCW 9.41.300. I informed of that and they proceeded to tell me that if I put my gun away I was welcome but not with my gun on me.

I am not going to give all the details just giving a heads up for all of those who may wish to visit the WSCC, in Seattle sometime.

I did call their head of security and operations and they claimed they knew nothing of the law and that they were not willing to even look it up.

I went there a couple weekends ago for the motorcycle show and went out of my way to look for signs.. didn't see a single one. I was CC'ing so wasn't bothered.

Since they are falsely charging you with a crime, isn't that grounds for a lawsuit? Anyway, good luck with everything. I look forward to hearing good news on this.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Freedom1Man

I went there a couple weekends ago for the motorcycle show and went out of my way to look for signs.. didn't see a single one. I was CC'ing so wasn't bothered.

Since they are falsely charging you with a crime, isn't that grounds for a lawsuit? Anyway, good luck with everything. I look forward to hearing good news on this.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

It believe it's grounds for a charge of malicious prosecution. I noticed that they waited until the new mayor took office before charging me.

If anyone wants to show up for moral support, it will be at the Seattle court house on March 14th at 2pm, and they do have gun lockers.

Jeff Hayes

Know a good one?

Yes PM on the way.

So to clarify things you were trespassed and then left and did not return. How can you be prosecuted for trespass if you left after you were asked to leave after all you did not know you were trespassed until they gave you notice? What am I missing?

Freedom1Man

Yes PM on the way.

So to clarify things you were trespassed and then left and did not return. How can you be prosecuted for trespass if you left after you were asked to leave after all you did not know you were trespassed until they gave you notice? What am I missing?

I did return, I was told I could come back if I met the legal/posted conditions of entry. I had to enter to see the posted conditions of entry and to get a refund for the event ticket that was purchased/sold to me on site.

I had met all the posted and lawful conditions of entry. I also pointed this out to the officers and security guard. The officer who arrived the second time was taking the time to verify the law until SGT "Dumas" told him that he did not care what the law was he was hauling me in. I will be double checking my audio recording of the second encounter.

They also claimed that there where signs, "posted all over the building all ALL the points of entry saying that guns were not allowed." That is not true and you have to enter the building to be able to read the conditions of entry. Plus I had met ALL the conditions of entry that were posted and spelled out in the law.

Jeff Hayes

I did return, I was told I could come back if I met the legal/posted conditions of entry. I had to enter to see the posted conditions of entry and to get a refund for the event ticket that was purchased/sold to me on site.

I had met all the posted and lawful conditions of entry. I also pointed this out to the officers and security guard. The officer who arrived the second time was taking the time to verify the law until SGT "Dumas" told him that he did not care what the law was he was hauling me in. I will be double checking my audio recording of the second encounter.

They also claimed that there where signs, "posted all over the building all ALL the points of entry saying that guns were not allowed." That is not true and you have to enter the building to be able to read the conditions of entry. Plus I had met ALL the conditions of entry that were posted and spelled out in the law.

You need to give the Lawyer I referred you to a call ASAP this ties in with my case, he understands the nuances of this very well. Do not go to court without a lawyer what ever you do no matter what it costs.