• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are you guys hearing locally about possible post election turmoil?

Nozoki

imported post

I haven't heard anything about rioting OR celebrating in the streets from anyone other than my mom, who unfortunately can't figure out that not everything she reads on the internet is true.

eyesopened

imported post

So if one candidate wins the popular vote by tomorrow evening, don't we still have to wait till December to see how the Electoral College plays out? Doesn't that EC have more weight on the subject than the Popular Vote?

Either way, I'll be ready with my baseball bat and sharp scissors 'cause I sold all my firearms already...

TexasNative

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
So if one candidate wins the popular vote by tomorrow evening, don't we still have to wait till December to see how the Electoral College plays out? Doesn't that EC have more weight on the subject than the Popular Vote?
Technically, your first statement is true, but practically and historically speaking, we know whose electors have been elected as a result of the popular vote, so we know how they'll vote in December.

Your second sentence is a bit off, though. The Electoral College has all the weight in electing the President and Vice President. The popular vote, as I mentioned above, elects the electors, state by state.

eyesopened

imported post

Can you go into greater detail how the popular vote elects the electors? I thought the electors were elected before hand. So the electors are elected after "election day"? Are the names of the electors and how they vote public info?

EDIT: I found my answers here: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/faq.html#meaningful

It seems the electors are elected on Election day. I don't recall the electors being listed on the voting machine.

PT111

imported post

I don't know of any state that still lists the electors rather than the candidates. In SC the electors appeared on the ballots until around 1980 and then were replaced by the actual candidates. You are voting for a slate of electors rather than the actual person running. I remember voting one time years back where there was two different slates of electors for the same candidate one a "third party" type of deal. The popular vote only elects the electors but normally they vote for who the popular vote was for.

See the following linksabout Faithless Electors. This can help explain it.

http://www.fairvote.org/e_college/faithless.htm

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=973

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

vt357

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Can you go into greater detail how the popular vote elects the electors? I thought the electors were elected before hand. So the electors are elected after "election day"? Are the names of the electors and how they vote public info?

EDIT: I found my answers here: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/faq.html#meaningful

It seems the electors are elected on Election day. I don't recall the electors being listed on the voting machine.
My ballot in Chesterfield actually said "Electors for" Barack Obama and "Electors for" John McCain.

TexasNative

imported post

vt357 wrote:
My ballot in Chesterfield actually said "Electors for" Barack Obama and "Electors for" John McCain.
And it was the same in Loudoun County. I voted for the "Electors for..." my candidate.

John McCain, btw. Don't blame me for the coming apocalypse.

jegoodin

imported post

True to my word I went out and bought an AR-15... Bushmaster. Got it from Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas. Got waited on by Longwatch. Introduced ourselves to each other.

Nice meeting you Longwatchand thanks for the intro to black rifles.

FogRider

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
True to my word I went out and bought an AR-15... Bushmaster. Got it from Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas. Got waited on by Longwatch. Introduced ourselves to each other.

About how much did you give for it, if you don't mind my asking? I'd like to have one, but I can't seem to stop buying other guns, so I can't afford one as of now.

doug23838

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Not too worried about civil unrest in Salt Lake City.

Chicago will burn either way... that should make for some good tv.

+1

Win or loose, Chicago burns Tuesday night.

Prediction: it spreads like cancer. Win or loose.

Doug is now eating crow while it is still warm.

I have to say though; I am stunned. Not only by the selection of BHO, but by the tenor of the response. I really expected folks to cause trouble.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Not too worried about civil unrest in Salt Lake City.

Chicago will burn either way... that should make for some good tv.

+1

Win or loose, Chicago burns Tuesday night.

Prediction: it spreads like cancer. Win or loose.

Doug is now eating crow while it is still warm.

I have to say though; I am stunned. Not only by the selection of BHO, but by the tenor of the response. I really expected folks to cause trouble.
Don't worry Doug. I did find one Clash between Election Officials and lawbreakers in Hanover.
http://news.oldva.org/?p=180

Election Officials in Hanover Hanover County showed 66% for McCain and 33% for Obama. From what I saw, turnout was heavy at certain times. Now I hate like the Devil, to do anything but gripe about Hanover’s Government…but…the Registrars office is different. They are nice people and do a good job. That is very unHanoverlike.
I voted about 8:30 AM and there was no one in line. One of my neighbors is an official there and I made my annual address gripe, said hello to him and voted. Everything worked, everyone was nice, in short, it was dull.
I went by the other polling places, chatted with everyone outside and wished the Democrats bad luck, On to the next one and the next. All Dull except The Mechanicsville Elementary polls. Lots of cars and confusion. I checked on it and it was parent teacher conference day too.
A little later, I made the rounds again. Dull, dull,dull. You have no idea how badly I wanted to see some Black Panthers blocking the polls. Finally I went by the Pole Green Elementary again. Pretty dull.
DSCN0803-1.jpg

But then I noticed two sinister characters on the covered area near the entrance.
DSCN0806.jpg

These two were……Selling Pizza!
DSCN0807.jpg

Now I don’t know if it was Democrat Pizza or Republican Pizza, but it was too close to the doors and I was sure it was changing the result. As I was questioning these two and preparing my story, an election official came out.
DSCN0805.jpg

With complete disregard for her own safety, she confronted the two scofflaws. Note…I haven’t found any election laws pertaining to selling pizza at the polling place, but who cares.
Anyway, she ejected the two who left without incident, after I bought a cheese pizza.
Well done Hanover!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
I don't know of any state that still lists the electors rather than the candidates. In SC the electors appeared on the ballots until around 1980 and then were replaced by the actual candidates. You are voting for a slate of electors rather than the actual person running. I remember voting one time years back where there was two different slates of electors for the same candidate one a "third party" type of deal. The popular vote only elects the electors but normally they vote for who the popular vote was for.

See the following linksabout Faithless Electors. This can help explain it.

http://www.fairvote.org/e_college/faithless.htm

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=973

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

All of what you guys have said is true, but there has been a recent twist. When I was a kid, most states were split by the popular vote. In other words, electors were voted in for any candidate that got a certain number of votes. So in a state like Virginia you might have 7 elected for Obama, 5 for McCain and say 1 for Nader. This would more reasonable reflect the will of the people.

In recent times states have gone to a "Winner take all" approach. SO now who ever gets the most popular votes wins ALL of the electors in that state. Under the old system it only took a few so called "faithless" electors to swing a close election. If we were still using that system this election would have been a lot closer. As of this mornings reports, the popular vote was reported as 51% Obama, and 49% McCain.

While the number will change over time, this election was a lot closer on the popular vote than the electorate would lead one to believe.

Regards

jegoodin

imported post

FogRider wrote:
jegoodin wrote:

About how much did you give for it, if you don't mind my asking? I'd like to have one, but I can't seem to stop buying other guns, so I can't afford one as of now.
List was $1699, I paid $1499. It is the model with the upper gas piston (vs the blow back),A3 handle and front flip up sight. Tax was extra of course.

mercutio545

imported post

So this was around my place in downtown Richmond. There was a huge mob of people. Broad St. (the main road in Richmond) was COMPLETELY smothered with them. If I had been driving, I wouldn't have been very much inclined to stop for them :D.

n25515030_35967544_2126.jpg

n25515030_35967539_944.jpg

Oh, and the police were out. Didn't really do much about anything. I mean, people illegally blocking a major roadway isn't a big deal, is it? Look at where the female officers right hand is though. ;)

n25515030_35967543_1876.jpg

FogRider

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
So this was around my place in downtown Richmond. There was a huge mob of people. Broad St. (the main road in Richmond) was COMPLETELY smothered with them. If I had been driving, I wouldn't have been very much inclined to stop for them :D.
If a bunch of OC'ers were doing the same thing it would be hailed as an awesome act of civil disobedience. But these folks are Obama supporters, so hey, lets just run them down in the street. That'll show 'em.

mercutio545 wrote:
Oh, and the police were out. Didn't really do much about anything. I mean, people illegally blocking a major roadway isn't a big deal, is it? Look at where the female officers right hand is though. ;)
Antagonize a peaceful group calmly celebrating? Sounds like a great idea. Instead of cops keeping an eye on a technically illegal (but as of yet peaceful) gathering you would rather have a massive fight in the streets, with cops and innocent people injured?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Look at where the female officers right hand is though. ;)

n25515030_35967543_1876.jpg

I bet I can guess exactly what she's doing....the hand position reminds me of when I usedto do the same thing - she's pulling her gun belt back up. Since the gun is usually the heaviest thing, you use that and pull up on your belt. Keeping those damn belts up high on your waist is a pain in the ass with all that weight.....