• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What brand of Ammo do you carry?

What brand of ammo do you trust in your carry gun?

• Winchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

• Corbon

• Magsafe

• Buffalo Bore

• Fiocchi

• Double Tap

• Hornady

• Speer/CCI

• Other

• Total voters

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

VegasSig wrote:
9mm FMJ overpenetration? Did you think I was going to say that>?:celebrate
Yes.

I just won't pull the trigger as hard, that way the bullet won't go as fast...right?

I have though about carrying hollowpoints for a while, and probably eventually will. I have never had a single hiccup with the ammunition I use, so I stick to that as my carry ammo for now. I know over penetration can happen, but I don't put that as my cheif concern when selecting ammunition, there are several that go before that criteria.

VegasSig

imported post

openryan wrote:
VegasSig wrote:
Yes.

I just won't pull the trigger as hard, that way the bullet won't go as fast...right?

I have though about carrying hollowpoints for a while, and probably eventually will. I have never had a single hiccup with the ammunition I use, so I stick to that as my carry ammo for now. I know over penetration can happen, but I don't put that as my cheif concern when selecting ammunition, there are several that go before that criteria.

Good point, whenever I switch SD ammo, I purchase a few hundred rounds to test it for malfunctions. My Sigs eat whatever I throw at them.

What do you carry?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

VegasSig wrote:
openryan wrote:
VegasSig wrote:
Yes.

Good point, whenever I switch SD ammo, I purchase a few hundred rounds to test it for malfunctions. My Sigs eat whatever I throw at them.

What do you carry?
S&W Sigma SW9VE I've never fired a glock, but apparently a lot of people say they are pretty close, infact you can exchange the parts of the two and they will both fire, as to what I hear.

I picked it up at the gun show for 300 out the door brand new/unfired back in May I believe. I picked up so many guns that day, but overall this was the one, and a lot cheaper than the others I liked. It inherently is accurate when you pick it up, great ergonomics, at least for me. They have it in .40 and 9mm, I opted for the 9mm as the ballistics of the 9mm can be as good and better than both .40 and .45 with the right ammunition of course. Plus the ammo is just a lot cheaper in the long run.

I would like to purchase the glock in .357 next. Every firearm I own as of now is S&W -- probably time to own some other brands.

Marco

imported post

I opted for the 9mm as the ballistics of the 9mm can be as good and better than both .40 and .45 with the right ammunition of course. Plus the ammo is just a lot cheaper in the long run.

I would like to see those ballistic tables:what:.

don't want to get into the caliber debate!!!!

generally the only time 9mm (JHP/Frangible ammo)out performs 40/45 is when the 40/45 are stuffed into micro sized guns and the 9mm is fired from a mid to full size gun.
however they still out perform 9mm fmj/ball.
when comparing the above calibers with ball ammo there is little to no difference except for the size of the hole;)

i do believe the 9mm is a decent round for self defense with modern JHP/frangible ammo

JMHO:
OP should be a consideration simply because your liable for every round that leaves your barrel

NYPD saw the flaw in using ball ammo after a few innocents/officers got shot with rounds that exited their targets

Edit:
silly typo

Mjolnir

imported post

Shooting somebody with the 9mm ball round is like stabbing them with an ice pick.

It takes lots of little holes over a long time to bleed em out.

Having 9mm ball in your PDW is about as silly as ya can get without carying a squirt gun.

Ever seen a human shot with a 9mm ball, I have & I'd rather cary a squirt gun as much good as the 9mm ball rounds do.

However, the proper 9mm HP and it's a superb caliber.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I opted for the 9mm as the ballistics of the 9mm can be as good and better than both .40 and .45 with the right ammunition of course. Plus the ammo is just a lot cheaper in the long run.

I would like to see those ballistic tables:what:.

don't want to get into the caliber debate!!!!

generally the only time 9mm (JHP/Frangible ammo)out performs 40/45 is when the 40/45 are stuffed into micro sized guns and the 9mm is fired from a mid to full size gun.
however they still out perform 9mm fmj/ball.
when comparing the above calibers with ball ammo there is little to no difference except for the size of the hole;)

i do believe the 9mm is a decent round for self defense with modern JHP/frangible ammo

JMHO:
OP should be a consideration simply because your liable for every round that leaves your barrel

NYPD saw the flaw in using ball ammo after a few innocents/officers got shot with rounds that exited their targets

Edit:
silly typo
Yes, I understand :)

It is a consideration, just not my top priority...

A lot of the op stuff happened in appartments too, I think. They then started even employing tipped rounds.

I don't carry a full size 1911 either, so compared to the size gun I carry, IF I carried the right ammo, it would be very close or outperform.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
have you thought about Federal premium EFMJ

http://ammoman.com

or Corbon powerball
I have looked at many different manufacturers, never shot Corbon, it is definately on my list of "ones to try" next time I hit the range.

Their prices seem pretty good, but I have still seen better prices in the store on certain ammo. The shipping might be "free" as you don't see the charge on the bill, but it's already built into the price. The bulk stuff is very nicely priced though.

I would use JHP before EFMJ.

I have never used federal in 9mm, I have used it in other calibers and I was very, very dissapointed. It wouldn't even cycle the gun. Took me 20 minutes to shoot 20 rounds, it would jam, not cycle, not fire, maybe a bad batch, but it turned me off to trying more of their products.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

+1 Agent19 on ballistics.
Someone else likes frangible? Love it for summer carry load but not winter.
Cor-bon DPX in my 1911 and it loves it too!
Each weapon I own prefers one or two particular loads except for my JMB pride and joy - it eats whatever I feed it to point of aim - of couse we don't feed it no sloop.

Carry the most reliable, effective but defensible ammo (no hand loads) for your particular weapon.

Yata hey

Attachments

• DPX vs gelitan.jpg
    DPX vs gelitan.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 350

Marco

imported post

I recently switched loads.
Same maker different weight.
My current loads is a165gr. Speer Gold Dot @ 1400fps/ 718ft/lbs from a factory Glock 20.
165gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1400fps - 14.25" penetration / 1.02" expansion

I had been using 135gr JHP staggered with a 230gr Equalizer load, this is still carried in my extra magazine.

the makers and the ammo test results can be found here.
http://www.10mmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=1393

massltca

imported post

I use Remington Golden Saber 230 gr JHP in both my 1911's. I like the 230's cause they're slow and heavy. Theyfeed reliably for me so I stick with them.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Shooting somebody with the 9mm ball round is like stabbing them with an ice pick.

It takes lots of little holes over a long time to bleed em out.

Having 9mm ball in your PDW is about as silly as ya can get without carying a squirt gun.

Ever seen a human shot with a 9mm ball, I have & I'd rather cary a squirt gun as much good as the 9mm ball rounds do.

However, the proper 9mm HP and it's a superb caliber.

While I do agree with the point that you are making, that there are far superior choices in the caliber, as a mortician, I HAVE seen a human shot w/9mm ball (well, not the actual incident, but the results from it) and I'll testify that shot placement is the key w/FMJ ammo. And if you're shot placement is on, there are devastating results. One can only be so "dead."

As to the original question----

Hornady TAP-FPD 230gr +P in .45ACP (5" Kimber)

Wincester Ranger 147gr in 9mm (G17, Kahr K9 & PM9)

Marco

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
As to the original question----

Hornady TAP-FPD 230gr +P in .45ACP (5" Kimber)

Wincester Ranger 147gr in 9mm (G17, Kahr K9 & PM9)

:dude:, I'm :?.
what does the G20 stand for:question:

Welcome to ocdo.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
:dude:, I'm :?.
what does the G20 stand for:question:

Welcome to ocdo.
About 2 years ago, my everyday carry was a G20 done up by Aro-tek (sweet gun), but I have since moved on. I started up a GlockTalk account under that name back then, and though my carry gun has changed a few times since, I have retained using the same login for all of the boards that I frequent. Keeps things easier that way.

wvshooter

imported post

Hornady or Speer JHP's and they are my own reloads. I select the powder brand and the amount (grains of powder) for each load. I'm not saying I wouldn't trust factory ammo, I just prefer to load it myself.