• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What brand of Ammo do you carry?

What brand of ammo do you trust in your carry gun?

• Winchester

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

• Corbon

• Magsafe

• Buffalo Bore

• Fiocchi

• Double Tap

• Hornady

• Speer/CCI

• Other

• Total voters

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wvshooter wrote:
Hornady or Speer JHP's and they are my own reloads. I select the powder brand and the amount (grains of powder) for each load. I'm not saying I wouldn't trust factory ammo, I just prefer to load it myself.
Your choice of course, but I would never carry reloads for defensive purposes - only factory loads. There are many excellant configurations available. The world is too litigious and too much potential exists for bad courtroom exposure when designing your own.

You run the same risk as you would in carrying a "modified" weapon. Your honor, he wasn't satisfied with the killing efficiency of his handgun - he had to make it more deadly than it already was!

Reloading is fun, cheaper and satifying - but not in my carry weapon.

Yata hey

massltca

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
wvshooter wrote:
Hornady or Speer JHP's and they are my own reloads. I select the powder brand and the amount (grains of powder) for each load. I'm not saying I wouldn't trust factory ammo, I just prefer to load it myself.
Your choice of course, but I would never carry reloads for defensive purposes - only factory loads. There are many excellant configurations available. The world is too litigious and too much potential exists for bad courtroom exposure when designing your own.

You run the same risk as you would in carrying a "modified" weapon. Your honor, he wasn't satisfied with the killing efficiency of his handgun - he had to make it more deadly than it already was!

Yata hey
Just curious, but how do you make a gun more deadly? Guns are already capable of killing. I'm sure defense lawyer have tried this before, but it sounds like semantics to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

massltca wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
wvshooter wrote:

Yata hey
Just curious, but how do you make a gun more deadly? Guns are already capable of killing. I'm sure defense lawyer have tried this before, but it sounds like semantics to me.
First. I understand you completely - I am a long term member of the "choir."

Disable the grip safety of a 1911, have your trigger pull set to 1 1/2 lbs, use Black Talons or X cut with a knife your favorite load and see if the prosecuting attorney does not use it against you. I'm not saying that you will lose but there are people in the system that have innocently done much less.

If you are forced to defend yourself, it may just be the beginning of your problems. Even if you have kept everything possible on the highest level of good judgement, you may still have to spend thousands of dollars to defend yourself. I believe in reducing the odds of an over zealous prosecutor finding anything to turn against me.
I carry the best factory ammo (my opininion) in high quality handgun(s) in a good holster........and I would prefer to talk and walk.
Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AggieWatchDog wrote:
TexasDoc!
icon_eek.gif

You're in Virginia now? Did you inform the Texas A&M Alumni Association?
confused.gif

I am sure that they would want to know what one of their "graduates" is up to, especially a PhD with such a well-known, sterling reputation!
thumb.gif

Don't take my word for it; PM me and I'll put you in touch with those who know him best.
thumb.gif

The bottom line is that Doc (alias Paul Nees) is, in the words of one of his best friends, "a fxxxing fraudulent phony fxxxing piece of dogshxx thief; a complete liar....He is in essence a con man."
icon_mad.gif
If there is serious problem with someone in our midst, let the moderators know but please no public, personal attacks.

Off thread too.

Yata hey

Springfield45

imported post

For everyday use,

In The XD45 it's Cor-Bon 230gr Power Balls, or 200gr Hornady XTP's It loves them.
OR
In the G20 it shoots the 200 gr. Black Talons the Most accurately for a HP.

And for the 686, it too likes the 125gr Hornady XTP's ... ..

Depending upon where I know I'll be going for the day, ie: gun show, other indoor crowded event, I usually opt to carry The Glasier Saftey Slug (silver usually) as overpenetration, or a possible riccochet due to a miss is the last thing I want to be worrying about ... Expensive?, yes .. worth the peace of mind ? Yes.... IMHO

~~John
Edited for spelling

Superlite27

imported post

"TexasDoc!
icon_eek.gif

confused.gif

I am sure that they would want to know what one of their "graduates" is up to, especially a PhD with such a well-known, sterling reputation!
thumb.gif

Doc's "expertise" on aging deer

Doc's "expertise" on spotting photoshopped deer

Doc's "expertise" on wild hogs

To all - if Doc asks for money, think hard before you reach for your wallet! He seems to be a guy who's had several runs of bad luck:

Sorry, I'm not tracking. I'm a little confused by AggieWatchDog's answer to "What brand of ammo do you use?".

I'm a big Federal Hydrashock fan. I was afraid of reliability problems in my 1911 (hollowpoint vs. ball issues), but so far, my fears have been unfounded. I'd love to try some "Ranger T's". These have some WICKED looking barbs that have been reported to expand to over 1.10 of an inch for .45 cal. If so......AWESOME!

Marco

imported post

snip:
In the G20 it shoots the 165 gr. Black Talons the Most accurately for a HP.
165gr "Black Talons" in 10mm:question::question:

all the "Winchester Black Talons" I have come across are 200gr's

if memory serves me correct the 9mm had a 147, 40SW a 180 .357mag a 180, 45acp a 230 and 10mm had a 200.

the newer version "The Ranger" the weights changed but Winchester didn't make any in 10mm

Springfield45

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
snip:
In the G20 it shoots the 165 gr. Black Talons the Most accurately for a HP.
165gr "Black Talons" in 10mm:question::question:

all the "Winchester Black Talons" I have come across are 200gr's

if memory serves me correct the 9mm had a 147, 40SW a 180 .357mag a 180, 45acp a 230 and 10mm had a 200.

the newer version "The Ranger" the weights changed but Winchester didn't make any in 10mm
Whoops, you're correct ... I mis-typed they are 200gr Black Talons.
Talk about a brain fart ...

~~John

Marco

imported post

I wished Winchester released the RangerT in 10mm and in a modest weight 155 or 165 going around 1377 to 1450 fps.

for that matter if ATK/Speer/CCI would produce a Gold Dot 10mm loading

my current load is a GD bullet loaded by Double Tap

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I wished Winchester released the RangerT in 10mm and in a modest weight 155 or 165 going around 1377 to 1450 fps.

for that matter if ATK/Speer/CCI would produce a Gold Dot 10mm loading

my current load is a GD bullet loaded by Double Tap
Well, if you carry a GD 10mm it is hard to find any GD ammo for the GD thing. But since you found some GD self-defense ammo for it, maybe you can find some JHC ammo for those times you may not have a prayer.

:p
*I'm going to hell*

massltca

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
"TexasDoc!
icon_eek.gif

confused.gif

thumb.gif

Doc's "expertise" on aging deer

Doc's "expertise" on spotting photoshopped deer

Doc's "expertise" on wild hogs

To all - if Doc asks for money, think hard before you reach for your wallet! He seems to be a guy who's had several runs of bad luck:

Sorry, I'm not tracking. I'm a little confused by AggieWatchDog's answer to "What brand of ammo do you use?".

I'm a big Federal Hydrashock fan. I was afraid of reliability problems in my 1911 (hollowpoint vs. ball issues), but so far, my fears have been unfounded. I'd love to try some "Ranger T's". These have some WICKED looking barbs that have been reported to expand to over 1.10 of an inch for .45 cal. If so......AWESOME!
That's the beauty of the .45 ACP, if it expands great, if not its still big enough to get the job done.