• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What city/town & how long did it take?

Edward Peruta

imported post

If your check was cashed by the STATE, then the STATE owes you a complete explaination of what you paid for and where the results are.

Don't be timid and ask to speak to a supervisor if they won't tell you how your prints were supplied to the FBI or when the results were returned to them and forwarded to your local P.D.

I agree completely with Goldcoaster, there is the smell of fish in the air.

You are the first person who has taken the time to do the research that may help others with their similar problems. This is something I believe the CCDL should investigate on behalf of all Connecticut residents who make applications.

QUESTION AUTHORITY, IT PRESERVES FREEDOM.

jz12b

imported post

Listen to this one!!!!! I called the FBI this morning - they were terrific! Found out the results of my background check were completed on 2/5/10. The process them electronically and send the results back within 24 hours. I called the DPS after that, was forwarded to the Fingerprinting unit, was told that there was an 8-12 week backlog. I asked him if there was an additional investigation done after my prints came back from the FBI and he said he couldn't discuss that with me. I politely explained I am simply trying to understand the process. He said I should call my local department, and he could discuss it with them. At no point in time did he take my name, or look into anything specific for me. Sooooo, the hold up is with the state at this point. 8-12 week backlog??!!!?? WTF! That means I am looking at the beginning of April at the very earliest, which is 3 months. Now, I really don't know where to go with this. My town is innocent. They are waiting on a desk jockey in DPS. Anyone have any ideas how to get tyhis resolved. I know If I had a 2-3 month backlog at work, my boss would have my a$$! The people working for the state aren't following there own General Statutes.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Remember to remind the CSBI supervisor that you are the individual who tendered payment for the services.

You might also call DPS Legal at 860-685-8150 and speak to Sgt. Seth Mancini Esq. or Trooper Thomas Hatfield Esq. rearding this situation.

I'm sure that both of these attorneys will understand the situation and provide advice on what you may do to resolve same.

gluegun

imported post

jz12b wrote:
I called the FBI this morning - they were terrific!  Found out the results of my background check were completed on 2/5/10.  The process them electronically and send the results back within 24 hours.

This is fantastic news! This means the towns can't claim that the FBI is holding up the process. It's down to DPS and local issuing authorities.

It is of course, not fantastic news that DPS is holding up the process.

JohnGalt

imported post

I live in Avon and submitted my application5 weeks ago. I have not heard anything back and none of my 3 checks have been cashed. I suspect that this is an indication that I will be waiting for some time -- which I am not willing to do beyond the statutory 8 week time period. Can anyone remember when their checks were cashed and what the lag time was between that event and the issuance of the temp permit?

Also, Avon asks you to come down to the station and submit it in person which I did. The officer was a young guy and very nice. During the interview, he asked if I brought along the 3 letters of recommendation that the town asks for. I told him that I did but I know that the state statutes do not require additional materials in accordance with the recent ruling by the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. Acknowleging this fact, he told me that they do not call or follow-up on the references as they did before the recent ruling came down.

Has anyone else dealt with this new reality and confronted the issuing authority on it? If so, what was your experience? I have to say that I was surprised how accepting -- almost concilliatory -- the police officer was. I was expecting a fight and, thankfully, never got one.

ctfireman

imported post

Just wondering......i turned in my complete application & was fingerprinted on 1/20/10. Just checked my money order receipts & the two for the fingerprints weren't cashed until 2/17/10 & the $70 one has NOT been cashed yet.I guess they didn't submit my prints within the time mandated by law. I guess this is why they're telling me 16 weeks total.

JohnGalt

imported post

When I submitted my application, the officer told me that they have been getting things back late from the federal government since there is such high demand for permits right now. He said, "I think they are usually turning these around in about 2-3 months." I replied: "Actually, the state statute gives the local municipality 8 weeks to issue or deny." While he did not call me out as a liar, he did say that he had never heard that before. I found it interesting that he knew about the latest decision holding materials extraneous to the statutorily defined application packet being not required, but did not know about one of the most basic and long-lasting provisions on the books.

Edward Peruta

imported post

State Statute mandates that any fingerprints taken for Pistol permits be submitted to the Connecticut State Bureau of Identification. Checks for the State and Federal Criminal History Records Checks are usually made out to the State of Connecticut DPS.

DPS uses 21st Century technology to scan and transmit fingerprints to the FBI which in turn returns the check in a very timely manner.

This post on Open Carry has exposed the system to scrutiny and offered everyone a simple way to check on the status of their background checks.

The Connecticut General Statutes (Section 29-8 and 29-29) are very clear in the mandates that must be followed by those involved withapplications for Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers in CT.

Members of law enforcement should never offer excuses for delays unless they know the facts.

Document when you submit the application and the person who took it.

Document when the checks are cashed for background checks.

Contact the FBI and CSBI to determine when the background checks were completed.

Question any delays if the criminal history records checks have not been returned to the local issuing authorities in a timely manner.

Don't accept unsubstantiated lame excuses from those who are required to follow the mandates of the law.

If Permit to Carry applicants are not willing to document the facts of their applications or follow the progress of their application in detail, then they should not be complaining about any delays.

The sooner we beginquestionpermit applicationdelays withNAMES, DATES AND FACTS, the sooner we will earn the respect ofthe public employees involved in the process.

I'm sure that the process of following a permit application will become a topic of discussion by many in Connecticut.

Poster JZ12B by checking with the FBI and State has done us all a great service by demonstrating exactly how to find the facts.

jz12b

imported post

Great news! I received a call from Trooper Hatfield on Teusday. He was extremely helpful, and very willing to talk to me about the process, and various timeframes. He explained that the process at the state level is very manual one, and that they have had quite an influx of applications recently. As an operationsmanager myself, I understandan organizationcannot staff according to a seasonal influx of work. If the rate of applications continues, they will add more staff, but it won't happen overnight. My application was completed and forwarded to the town this week, so I am going to allow a week for the clerk to get the cheif's signature. She has been on the ball this whole time, and actually told me if she has not received an application backwithin 8 weeks from the DPS, she has "people she can call" to get the ball rolling to insure a decision is made in as timely a manner as possible. Coventryhas beenextremely gun freindly this entire time, from the officer who took my prints, to the clerk who has been more than patient and helpful withmy numerous questions.

The best advise to those still waiting - do your homework, keep a paper trail, and make the calls you need to make to find out where you paperwork is in the process. I know many PDs are less accommodating when it comes to Permit Applications. This is the only way you are going to eliminate the excuses. Thanks everyone for helping me through this process.

As a side note, the clerk also told me that she received the FBI response directly, so if you call the number listed earlier in this thread, you can find out when your FBI check was done and forwarded - mine was within a couple days of the check being cashed, and about three weeks from the date I dropped my application off at the department. Overall, it looks like I am going to come in right at the 8 week mark. The next step is finding a SIG P229 Equinox for around $950. Anyone see one lately?

ctfireman

imported post

That's awesome! I'm glad someone is moving forward. I'm on week 8 & they haven't even cashed my $70 money order for the federal background check.......only the two for fingerprints. I've made so many calls it's ridiculous, to the city, the state, even my city mayor. No straight answers. I won't give up but it's looking like i'll be waiting another 8 weeks.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Document every call with the date, time and name of the people contacted.

File an immediate appeal with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

Ask for a sit down meeting with the Mayor and explain in detail the Police Department's delays and non-compliance with the law.

Obviously they look at our backgrounds to see if we comply with the law during the application process and should look at themselves as well.

Good luck

jz12b

imported post

Got my town temp permit the same week the DPS finally finished with my application. DPS mailed it on a Tuesday, the permit was ready on Friday last week. I made the trip to Middletown on Teusday to get my Permit. In and out in less than 15 minutes. So, my town got it to me in under 8 weeks, but only because I asked the right questions and did the research I needed to.

The state is backed up, so don't expect any 3-4 week turnarounds. The FBI check is practically instantaneous, so don't let them use that excuse. Call the number listed in this string to find out exactly when your FBI check was completed. They will tell you the day they got it and the day it was sent back to the authorities.

The best advise - just be patient - I drove myself crazy waiting for my permit. Especially since I saw the pistol I wanted to purchase disappear in the time it took for them to process it. (Sig P250 tactical 9mm, threaded barrel, digital camo frame - I finally found one in Colorado, and I am having it shipped - SIG discontinued it)

Anyway, I hope whatI have shared through the process sheds some light on what is going on in regard to the issuance of permits in Connecticut. Good Luck Everyone

jdandria

imported post

Filled out the application and submitted it. Heard back from Naugatuck PD in just over 4 weeks stating the paperwork is ready for me to pick up. Made 4 trips down there now and have been told that it hasnt been signed by the chief, hes in a meeting, and he isnt here today! Timely turn around for Naugatuck but now I cant seem to actually get my temp permit. Why send me a letter to pick it up then not give it to me?

GunFire

imported post

Go to the Mayor and talk to him, Bob Mezzo is a good man, he will make a call for you. If you are cleared and the only reason is that the Chef will not sign the paper work, Bob Mezzo will get it done. Just go to the town hall and go to the fourth floor and talk to the first person you see in the Mayor's office and ask to talk to Mr Mezzo. Good luck.

By the way a new Gun store is going to open in Prospect right on rt 68 about 3/4 mile from the Naugatuck/Prospect Town line.

The new store is Prospect Firearms Inc