• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry (make/model) and Why?

arkangel88

imported post

Full size carry:

HK USP .40 v V.1 w/ 155gr.Corbon DPX'sor

S&W 1911 TRS w/ Corbon 200gr JHP

For compact carry my HK P2000 in .40 V.3- w/155gr.Corbon DPX

All are carried in Blackhawk cqc level 2 serpa's and mag pouches

The main reason I carry is for self protection, but I also know that a right not exercised is a right lost.

Legend_AB

imported post

This is what I carry.

SpringfieldXD40.jpg

cz75sp01-left-full-hi.jpg

I carry the XD when I feel like carrying something a bit lighter and more compact or when I UOC with my buddy who also owns an XD.

The CZ is all steel and a 9mm with very light recoil, so that's what I normally UOC on my own.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
1858 Remington (repro) new Army model .44 cal.

laser accurate

cheap to shoot

spits 200 gr. of pure lead stopping power

no sticky govt. tape

and in my opinion it's a really beutiful weapon

That sir, is most badass..

Mine was a ruger p345, now it's the beretta 90 two 40 cal

merle

imported post

mjones wrote:
My most common OC piece would be a .40 cal Sig P229 with Corbon 135 grain +P in a Blackhawk Serpa.

Same. Just different ammo on different days (most of the time it's reloads because you can just holster and go from shooting).

Why?

Decent holster with good retention and adjustable cant.

Since I have high cap magazines for it, twelve rounds in the Sig 229 gives me ~50% more than the .45. I like the decocking lever.

Used the 229 for years (this one is going on almost 8 years and didn't even get it new) and it's been reliable. The night sights are dimming, but the finish is still holding up. Did swap out the guide rod/spring years back along and added some hogue grip panels.

SDPISTOLGRIP

imported post

Springfield XD 9 with trijcon night sights. I carry because my founding fathers wrote it in our Bill of Rights! I carry because it is my right to protect myself, my family and those around me.

mjones

imported post

merle wrote:
mjones wrote:
My most common OC piece would be a .40 cal Sig P229 with Corbon 135 grain +P in a Blackhawk Serpa.

Same. Just different ammo on different days (most of the time it's reloads because you can just holster and go from shooting).

Why?

Decent holster with good retention and adjustable cant.

Since I have high cap magazines for it, twelve rounds in the Sig 229 gives me ~50% more than the .45. I like the decocking lever.

Used the 229 for years (this one is going on almost 8 years and didn't even get it new) and it's been reliable. The night sights are dimming, but the finish is still holding up. Did swap out the guide rod/spring years back along and added some hogue grip panels.

I use Hogue rubber grips as well :)

I would suggest serious consideration to not using target ammoas self defense rounds.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Somehow I think by "awesome" he means brad9point0's pimp cannon and not the glocks.

camsoup

imported post

I carry either my Ruger P95 with 124gr JHP gold dots, if I might be venturing into snake country I carry my 4" Colt Diamond back in .38spl, 2 rounds of snake shot and 4 125gr JHP +p

I carry because it's mine and everyone's right to. I'm not doing it to reform the CCW laws, I'm not doing it to impress people, I don't carry because I'm crazy ( I was told once you must be crazy to openly carry a gun, its just asking for trouble) I do not have, nor will I get a CCW to exercise my "right" to carry, its not my right if I have to pay for it.

And most importantly I carry to protect mine and my loved ones life, the world out there is no cake walk (not that it ever was) but more and more I see or hear about desperate people committing violent acts, and could very well find me or mine in a situation where I would need the firearm I OC.

Its better to have it with me and not need it, than to need it and not have it with me.

yelohamr

imported post

For years I carried a S&W .357 and/or a Colt 1911. As I've gotten older, I go with less weight. I carry a Sig Mosquito on the right and a 4 mag. carrier on the left, which balances things out.

NightOwl

imported post

Taurus pt-99 9mm. That was my carry piece in Idaho, and I was quite happy with it due to the higher magazine capacity over a 45. However, now that I've moved to california, I might as well go buy a 1911, since there is that absurd law about magazine capacity here. Ticks me off.

I carry for my own safety, as a general crime deterant, and to spread the word about the rights we all have yet seem to have forgotten, in that order.

aslink

imported post

XD40 Service (1st gun and carried it Concealed in MT)

XD9 Sub Compact (will be used when I need something small to carry)

SA 1911 Operator (looking forward to carrying it more in OC style here in CA)

inbox485

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Hi-Point C9

$200.00 OTD, reliable, accurate, 100% unconditional warranty.  Put about 1,500 rounds through it, jammed a couple times at first, then I polished the feed ramp, no more jams.  Big Ugly Brick of a gun, but it was what I could afford.

I carry for a combination of reasons.  One because I can.  Two, to help educate those who don't know it's legal. 

In my own neighborhood, I carry LOC.  I do this because of the recent gang tagging, and the occasional pitbull or other big aggressive dog that runs loose in my area.  When not in my own area, I UOC when I can, but there are a lot of schools out there, so when in the car, I usually keep it in the lockbox on the seat beside me. 

DisplayPic.aspx

Absolutely the best gun for those on a tight budget. Due to the design, the recoil is reminiscent of a .45, but also due the design, it is dead reliable as long as you polish the feed ramp (most of the feed ramps are shipped with powder coat over spray on them and the incoming rounds get caught on the surface). My first OC experience was with a C-9. I'm getting somewhere close to 2K rounds on mine, and I'm just starting to have occasional light primer strikes. My main hesitation with the C-9 is my rear sight screw has been knocked in before and I drilled a steel hostage in the shoulder as a result of it. Also the slide is die cast, so if there are any molding defects it can disintegrate on you within the first magazine. I've only seen one documented case of this, but it looked painful.

After the C-9, I went for the XD-45 compact. I figured it had nearly the same size and weight of the C-9, but instead of 10 rounds of 9mm it was 10 rounds of 45ACP. I don't OC very often due to school zones, etc., but I try to at least make it out to OC get togethers.