• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What scares you the most, open carry or concealed carry?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
It doesn't "scare" me per say, but I would say that CC "concerns" me the most, because then I don't know who's armed. Which is a right (if you have a CHP). however if you don't have a CHP, then you aren't a law abiding citizen, and I would not feel comfortable, if I knew. But how would I know? I wouldn't. See, that's why CC "concerns" me, and OC I'm completely comfortable with. I don't think a "gansta" is going to OC, in a holster. Most likely he'll be CCing in his pants, with his XXXXXL shirt over it.
I'm tempeted to go after you for stating that CC is a right only if you have a CHP! But I think I'll just go easy and note that it's either a right or it's not...and there's no in-between!
Let me re-word that. It is a right, but not legal unless you have a CHP. They are restricting our right.But how do we know who has a CHP and who doesn't? How do we know who has a gun, and who doesn't?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Through training you guys will find out how to profile people, how to tell wether he/she is capable of turning against you or not. Until then I won't say nothing. Do you guys hate me or something? I support OCDO, I used to be member in Packing.org. Dont forget that!
swatpro911, we don't hate you. It's just that you seem to think in ways that most of us do not. Sometimes that makes you a visionary. Most often it means your train of thought has jumped the track. :lol:

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
SNIP But how do we know who has a CHP and who doesn't? How do we know who has a gun, and who doesn't?

Its part of the price of freedom--letting others be armed.

Fortunately, the majority of people are social andwouldn't use a firearm on you.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Statistically people who are licensed to CC are the most law abiding citizens and have a much lower rate of interaction with law enforcement, including for minor offenses such as speeding, than the average citizen. I have never seen statistics for OC and doubt there are any, but I would expect to see the same general trend. I would expect that 95% of gun owners are extremely law abiding, constitutionally focused, freedom and America loving citizens.

Think about it. If someone legally owns a modern firearm, the odds are that they have been through at least an NCIC background check and do not have a felony conviction, they are not habitual criminals, drug addicts or drunks and are not mentally ill. You can't even begin to guess the odds of those things with the person who does not legally own a firearm. If the person has a CC license/permit, the background check was even deeper and more thorough and covered even more ground. Legal gun owners, except for the occasional stupid ones, do not scare me whether their gun is on their person, in their car or at their home.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Perhaps one of the safest and best places you can go and be surrounded by firearms is a gun show. Granted that here in Virginia, every gun show I have ever attended (and that's one heck of a lot of them), requires you to unload any weapons before entering the show.

But what's to keep somebody who had a mind to do some evil deeds from carrying in several loaded magazines, then once inside, removing the action tie, locking and loading, and opening fire? I suspect what keeps someone from doing this is the fact that gun shows do not attract people of that mindset. Those kinds of people are more inclined to visit their evil deeds on a shopping mall or a school or church. Gun shows may scare them a bit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Gun shows are perceived as safe because there are so many guns there.

There are laws and there are rules. I try to never violate a law as that could be expensive in many ways. Rules made by other people for their supposed benefit are somewhat of a different animal.

While I OC most of the time, I do carry a BUG regularly and it's concealed and never offered up for inspection at Candyland. At certain malls, theaters and the like, I simply move my primary (OC) to CC. Under these circumstances, I break a rule but not a law and as a footnote I have never been made or asked to leave.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Statistically people who are licensed to CC are the most law abiding citizens and have a much lower rate of interaction with law enforcement, including for minor offenses such as speeding, than the average citizen. I have never seen statistics for OC and doubt there are any, but I would expect to see the same general trend. I would expect that 95% of gun owners are extremely law abiding, constitutionally focused, freedom and America loving citizens.

Think about it. If someone legally owns a modern firearm, the odds are that they have been through at least an NCIC background check and do not have a felony conviction, they are not habitual criminals, drug addicts or drunks and are not mentally ill. You can't even begin to guess the odds of those things with the person who does not legally own a firearm. If the person has a CC license/permit, the background check was even deeper and more thorough and covered even more ground. Legal gun owners, except for the occasional stupid ones, do not scare me whether their gun is on their person, in their car or at their home.

I don't know if those statistics are national or not but I alsohave seen some data that show that CCers as a group have lower crime rates than the overall citizen group and even police ( in TX?).

To compare the CC group to the OC group does make logical sense and one can make a few inferences therefrom. They're only inferences and sometimes just guesses. Sometimes just wishful guesses, I suspect...we'llsee as time goes on.

But there are a couple of variables upon which the OC group and theCC group differ: background check completion andage (or, at least,age range). It's pretty clear from discussions on OCDO that a major portion of the OC group eschews the obtaining of a CHL/CWP/LTCH. Therefore they are not subjected to their state's background check for a permit/license whereas all permit/licences holders are. This differentiates the two groups substantially, making inferences from CC group behavior to OC group attributes somewhat chancy.

The age variable similarly provides someprobability for significant differences between the OC and CC groups. We can see from the Zach Doty case and others on this board that some 18-20 year olds carry a gun only because they have found a way around the usual 21 year old minimum for a CC permit/licensein almost all states. Are these young pups really as ready to behave as responsibly in carrying a gun as the vetted (not perfectly by any means) CC group or the older mainstream of the OC group? One can make a case yes and one can make a case no. Both cases would be weak, however. Not enough data.

The conclusions that a governing body could make from the above concepts arepretty self-evident. Especially, if an OCer somewhere, someplace getsinvolved in a particularly heinous or widely reported shooting.

The current level of any state's (or national) OC community political capital would be woefully insufficientto withstanda backlash by our politicos based on instantaneous public outrage from, say,a Cho-like OCer. Even a mini-Cho.

XCon

imported post

in the police academy they teach officers the opposite, no wonder when they see guns on the streets they react too hard! Its like guns on others that are not leo is considered unknown threat even if he is a marine, sgt, doc, major doesnt matter unless he/she complies with the cops. Its sad that police agency eventually brainwash these folks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
But there are a couple of variables upon which the OC group and theCC group differ: background check completion andage (or, at least,age range). It's pretty clear from discussions on OCDO that a major portion of the OC group eschews the obtaining of a CHL/CWP/LTCH. Therefore they are not subjected to their state's background check for a permit/license whereas all permit/licences holders are. This differentiates the two groups substantially, making inferences from CC group behavior to OC group attributes somewhat chancy.
I suspect that a large percentage of Ocers, at least in Virginia, do in fact have CHPs.

If a study criteria where established beginning with age - 21 and continuing through
education level, married/single, owns/rents et al in the states that are shall issue and then compared OC to CHP crimes, I think that both results would be nearly identical - very low. I draw this inference from Vermont and Alaska and even Virginia's violent crime rate as compared to N.J., California or New York's. Guns = less crime.
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

Wish someone would/could do such a study.

Yata hey

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

I don't know if those statistics are national or not but I alsohave seen some data that show that CCers as a group have lower crime rates than the overall citizen group and even police ( in TX?).

To compare the CC group to the OC group does make logical sense and one can make a few inferences therefrom. They're only inferences and sometimes just guesses. Sometimes just wishful guesses, I suspect...we'llsee as time goes on.

The age variable similarly provides someprobability for significant differences between the OC and CC groups. We can see from the Zach Doty case and others on this board that some 18-20 year olds carry a gun only because they have found a way around the usual 21 year old minimum for a CC permit/licensein almost all states. Are these young pups really as ready to behave as responsibly in carrying a gun as the vetted (not perfectly by any means) CC group or the older mainstream of the OC group? One can make a case yes and one can make a case no. Both cases would be weak, however. Not enough data.

The conclusions that a governing body could make from the above concepts arepretty self-evident. Especially, if an OCer somewhere, someplace getsinvolved in a particularly heinous or widely reported shooting.

The current level of any state's (or national) OC community political capital would be woefully insufficientto withstanda backlash by our politicos based on instantaneous public outrage from, say,a Cho-like OCer. Even a mini-Cho.
It's good to know that I'm a badguy until the State says I'm a goodguy. :cuss:

What does age have to do with maturity? I've seen 18-20 year olds that are working fulltime while going to college AND raising a family. I've also seen 37 year olds who live in their mom's basement and do nothing to be responsible for themselves.

Why is someone who hides their weapon considered more responsible than someone who does not? Don't the badguys hide their weapons as well? At a glance, can you tell who is lawfully concealing a weapon and who is a criminal hiding the tools of his trade?

What does Cho have to do with CC vs. OC? Are you saying that OC'ers are going to "go Cho"? Are you saying that we should not OC because when we "go Cho" it will hurt us politcally? :banghead:

Someone who is openly carrying a gun leaves no doubt as to what he is doing. He knows that the world's eyes will be on his every move and he better be sure of what he is doing. Does that sound like someone who is inclined to cause trouble?

LoveMyCountry

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Opsgear wrote:
in the police academy they teach officers the opposite, no wonder when they see guns on the streets they react too hard! Its like guns on others that are not leo is considered unknown threat even if he is a marine, sgt, doc, major doesnt matter unless he/she complies with the cops. Its sad that police agency eventually brainwash these folk
Speeding cars are a threat. Parked cars are not.
Speeding guns are a threat. Parked guns are not.
It's that simple.

Yata hey

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

And now he's posting as opsgear. Swatpro and Opsgear are the same guy. He's said so himself.

You haven't answered my questions, Swatpro. Whats your issue? Do you not speak english well? Do you have a mental disability? This has nothing to do with your opinions, but ratherthe way you talk. Your opinions do seem rather odd, too, but I'm not even gonna bother to get into that.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I suspect that a large percentage of Ocers, at least in Virginia, do in fact have CHPs.

If a study criteria where established beginning with age - 21 and continuing through
education level, married/single, owns/rents et al in the states that are shall issue and then compared OC to CHP crimes, I think that both results would be nearly identical - very low. I draw this inference from Vermont and Alaska and even Virginia's violent crime rate as compared to N.J., California or New York's. Guns = less crime.
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

Wish someone would/could do such a study.

Yata hey
Excellent point about the crime rates in those states. Although I would offer one revision to your point of "guns = less crime" and restate it as "guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens = less crime" although I think that would be understood from your post.

I agree with your point about OC being under the microscope which is why I argued above that I would expect to see the same very low criminality/police interaction among OC that we know from data exists among the CC crowd. Furthermore, I think few OCers are going to carry an illegally obtained handgun given their level of scrutiny by the public and LEO which means that they have gone through at least the NCIC check weeding out a lot of the criminal types.

As to the age issue, I find it generally to be a non-issue. We have millions of Americans who entered the military at 18-20 years of age and carried a weapon. Furthermore, many of them were faced with life and death decisions that even the oldest of lifetime civilians will never have to deal with. In this country we have arbitrarily chosen the age that most people graduate secondary school as the age of adulthood. While I wouldn't argue that most people 18-20 are generally as responsible and as aware of consequences as someone in their 30s, by the same token most people 18-20 are not going to OC a handgun. It will typically be the most responsible of that group who make the decision to put up with the potential hassles and legal issues involved with OC. Doesn't mean that some 18 year old out there isn't carrying OC as a power trip, but by the same token, I have known 3-4 young LEOs over the years who got into law enforcement as a power trip and they did have all the background checks and psych evals.

And the issue of age that is being left out is that someone 18-20 cannot legally purchase a handgun in this country (except through private purchase in some states as I understand). That means that someone who was 21 or older had to purchase the handgun, most likely a parent. That means that someone who is older and presumably more responsible has made an evaluation that the 18-20 year old is responsible enough to own a handgun. I would think that most parents who buy their 18-20 year old a handgun are probably 2A proponents themselves and most of us take responsibility and safety VERY seriously.

shamalama

imported post

Being forcibly restrained by the government from being able to protect myself and my loved ones scares me.

Being dependent on the government for my safety makes me scared.

Knowing that my individual rights, fought and bled for by so many, are in the hands of a few black-robed elites scares me.

"if I see somebody CCing..." then they're not CCing. Sure, sometimes you can "make" someone, but I would bet there are more CCers you walk past than you realize. And why are CCers scary? Why take extra caution? We don't have leprosy. Are we that more nefarious than an OCer?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

shamalama wrote:
"if I see somebody CCing..." then they're not CCing. Sure, sometimes you can "make" someone, but I would bet there are more CCers you walk past than you realize. And why are CCers scary? Why take extra caution? We don't have leprosy. Are we that more nefarious than an OCer?
Well, being that MO is a mess when it comes to OC since we don't have preemption and there are tons of little towns with OC restrictions, BUT being that in MO CC simply means that the weapon is covered and "printing" isn't illegal nor is accidental/incidental exposure of your firearm such as when reaching for your wallet, some of us aren't always overly careful about CCing really deeply if you know what I mean. There are times that I am intentionally unconcerned about obviously printing. I'm not disagreeing with your point, just throwing out another perspective on CC in certain locations.

On the other hand, I was out at dinner with friends one night, 6 of us sitting there all CCing deeply, and an acquaintance walked up and commented about having been in a nearby town where OC is legal and seeing someone OCing and how disturbing it was for her to see that. She commented that it was good to be back in her own town where people aren't carrying guns everywhere. Part of me wanted to tell her that all of us sitting there had firearms on our person, but she is one of those people I didn't want to talk to any longer than I had to.

shamalama

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
There are times that I am intentionally unconcerned about obviously printing.
Good point.

Here's a post stolen from an OCer at another message board I frequent:

---

I was grocery shopping after work with my gun on my belt. Some lady comes up to me next to the ice cream case and says, "Can I ask you a question?"

I kept looking for the ice cream I wanted, but I knew what was coming, "Sure."

"Why are you carrying your weapon in here?"

"I carry it to protect myself."

"Do you have a business card or anything?"

WTF? "No."

"Are you in law enforcement or anything like that?"

"No."

"Do you have a permit for it?"

"Yes."

"So why do you carry a gun?"

"Like I said, I carry it to protect myself."

"Who do you think you need protection from, people like me who are very unnerved by it?"

I finished up, chuckling, with, "I hope not."

---

My point here is the "people like me who are very unnerved by it" phrase. swatpro911 wanted to "take extra caution" when he "makes" a CCer, while this young soccer mom is "very unnerved" by an OCer.

Does it never cross anyone's mind that the average gangbanger gangsta thug probably doesn't OC? Does anyone ever consider that the last dozen or so crack zombies probably do not have the appropriate firearms license? Has anyone ever considered how many times law enforcement has not appeared magically just before a bad guy pulls the trigger on a victim but rather much later, and then only to draw those wonderful chalk outlines? We are required, by law, to wear seatbelts to "protect" ourselves in a car crash but so many in society bemoans those same people being able to thwart the goals of a criminal looking to rob property or life?

Trust me: I would MUCH rather be surrounded at the grocery store by a handful of fellow OCers or CCers that I would being surrounded by unnerved soccer moms.

Bah, I'm ranting and raving I guess. Need more blood pressure medicine.