• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to say when people complain they are "uncomfortable" because of your gun?

Elm Creek Smith

...[A] store clerk who asked me to leave a store and stated that he was doing so because "he was uncomfortable that I was carrying a gun".

If the store had a "gunbuster" sign at the entrance, I wouldn't have entered. If it didn't have a "gunbuster" sign, I'd have asked, "Are you the manager on duty?" If he wasn't, I'd have insistently asked him to call a manager. I don't have time to educate people with a "serf" mentality. His manager can do that. If his manager agreed with him, I'd contact corporate.

In response to the "He went to Jared®!" advertising campaign and some advertised sale prices, I "went to Jared®" one day to buy something for my wife. I stopped at the door when I saw their "gunbuster" sign, stepped back, and just waited. Apparently one of the clerks mentioned my presence, and a manager came out to see what the "man with a gun" wanted. I mentioned to him that I was going to make a purchase for my wife but that I couldn't come in his store because of the sign. He told me all I had to do was leave my gun in my truck. I told him what I was going to do was spend a couple of thousand dollars at his competitor down the street because they didn't have a stupid sign. Then, I did it.

We have to hit those people in their pocket books and tell them why.

Elm Creek Smith

The problem with most of your responses is your not talking rational people.
You can say the most common sense things and they don't get it.

It's like this guy was standing next to me in a line and said god bless. I said I'm atheist and he responded with sorry. You know your going to hell.
I responded your going to hell if you don't get away from me.
He moved on to bother someone else. My point is you will never be able to rationalize with an irrational person.

You realize that your first response was rude and your second response was irrational, don't you?

Bernymac

We should have a sticky for situations like these. Much like Al Jaffee's "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions"

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I told him what I was going to do was spend a couple of thousand dollars at his competitor down the street because they didn't have a stupid sign. Then, I did it.

Mail his boss a copy of the receipt and remind him of the encounter.

HPmatt

Oh please. Salinas is the heart of Steinbeck country, though that means little to the unread. There is a good reason that his birthday is still celebrated on Cannery Row, not least for his friendship with 'Doc' Ricketts (Between Pacific Tides with Jack Calvin)..

Might be a nice place to read a book about, but I rank it up there with Midland or Odessa Texas - the only difference is that they are booming with industry - black gold. Water rationing to help the Delta Smelt is killing jobs in the agri-business. I do give it credit - like Fresno - close to the Pacific and lots of neat places - like where you went to school - but not a neat place by itself..... You can make a living on Tech in CA, but if you want to make a traditional living from the land in the Central Valley - get lost - soon you will only know about that lifestyle by reading books about how it used to be.

Bernymac

You could have smiled and said,

"And may he touch you with his noodly appendage, my friend."

Next time somebody sneezes:

200_static_good_looking.gif

Last edited:

paramedic70002

You could have smiled and said,

"And may he touch you with his noodly appendage, my friend."

Not to get into a heavy religious discussion, but I've always wonder why folks who do not believe in God, get so uptight when someone mentions God to them.

If I sneezed and some guy said, "May the furry Zorn guide you to health," it really wouldn't impact me as offensive.

Remember, America has been guided since it's inception with "Freedom OF Religion," not "Freedom FROM Religion."

FTG-05

If the store had a "gunbuster" sign at the entrance, I wouldn't have entered. If it didn't have a "gunbuster" sign, I'd have asked, "Are you the manager on duty?" If he wasn't, I'd have insistently asked him to call a manager. I don't have time to educate people with a "serf" mentality. His manager can do that. If his manager agreed with him, I'd contact corporate.

In response to the "He went to Jared®!" advertising campaign and some advertised sale prices, I "went to Jared®" one day to buy something for my wife. I stopped at the door when I saw their "gunbuster" sign, stepped back, and just waited. Apparently one of the clerks mentioned my presence, and a manager came out to see what the "man with a gun" wanted. I mentioned to him that I was going to make a purchase for my wife but that I couldn't come in his store because of the sign. He told me all I had to do was leave my gun in my truck. I told him what I was going to do was spend a couple of thousand dollars at his competitor down the street because they didn't have a stupid sign. Then, I did it.

This.

Too bad spineless gun owners, including but not limited to the "concealed means concealed" and the costco crowd, will never get it. :banghead:

Freedom1Man

I tell them various things depending on my mood and how they make their complaint.

"Tough S___"
"You should really see a professional about your irrational fear."
"I don't care"/"I don't care about your mental health issues"
"That's nice."

Since I don't have to deal with that very often, I've not come up with many more.

FTG-05

Oh and to answer the original question:

"Why don't you grow up?" works for me.

McGuiver1000

I have been asked when I carrying and I just say "That's your problem, have a nice day"

I also open carry when in my front yard here in California (live outside the city limits) residential district and had a visit from the Sheriff telling me my neighbors complained because I was OC'ing. I said "So what's the problem?" He replied, "No problem, just wanted to let you know" and I told him, "I guess it's their problem then" shook his hand and said goodbye.

On your own private property outside the city limits in California it turns out you can OC legally...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
*woot* Necro-thread. :) I'll bite since I missed it last year...

I've only had one person actually comment to me about OC. Woman walked up to me and said she is afraid of my gun. It's been a while but as I recall I responded something like, "Obviously not since you just walked up and started talking to me. Obviously you don't feel threatened by me," and smiled. She looked confused for a second and just went away.

I used to consider this a lot but then it just didn't happen from strangers. I have had friends of friends comment about it, but those are situations where an actual friendly discussion is possible. When I first met my wife, neither she nor any of her friends even knew anyone who carried. There were numerous discussions about it back then and now 8 years later, most of them either carry or are strongly considering it.

alakazam

Restrictions on guns.

It doesnt matter what you tell them, you still have to leave. People think they can carry in any store or resturant. all the owners have to do put up a sign NO WEAPONS or ask u to leave or both. So guns can be even more restrictive,than u realize.:banghead::banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It doesnt matter what you tell them, you still have to leave. People think they can carry in any store or resturant. all the owners have to do put up a sign NO WEAPONS or ask u to leave or both. So guns can be even more restrictive,than u realize.:banghead::banghead:
This issue is state specific - different states have different laws/ruling and situations.

As an example, VA's ABC stores (retailer of bottled adult beverages) is state owned and as such may not restrict the legal carry of guns.

Further, it depends what you are told on private property and/or what the sign says. I have seen signs that quoted a non-existant law or one from another state. Been told I could not CC in an establishment that served alcohol, I was OCing, called for the manager, solved the problem.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Welcome. This thread was about general conversations, not specifically about store management and policies, and your statement is not true in all states. Many states put no weight of law on signage, else you'd have to stop at every door and read everything before you could just walk in like an average citizen, and that could go the same for a guy with no shoes on as the guy wearing a gun. Bang your head after you make a clear, accurate point that is being ignored.

Last edited:

Maverick9

I might have related a story before I started carrying in which I was at a bookstore in the 90s and saw a man with a holstered sidearm and I felt very offended, as in 'who does he think he is?', and 'what a jerk'.

But I didn't examine those feelings or why I felt them. I guess I resented that he felt entitled or that he was playing at being an operator or an Eff-Be-Eye guy.

I didn't have fear, and I didn't leave or consider being confrontational. I think part of it was that the guy didn't look like Philip, he looked like a person who was conceited or full of himself. He looked a little like a serious version of 'Herb Tartek' from WKRP (Frank Bonner). I wish I could give insight as to why I felt that, but it escapes me, though as I said part of it is the way the person looked and, of course, my own insecurities and prejudices.

But if someone says something, IMO, they are not frightened of you, nor do they really deserve any answer other than 'I don't discuss that' or words to that effect.

gunslinger493

My response:

" I am sorry that my gun makes you feel uncomfortable, however modern pharmaceutical chemistry these days is very advanced, I am sure there is a pill for you."