• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you choose against a grizzly?

WheelGun

imported post

You guys don't know anything about this topic. There is an easy solution that will not cost you anyexpensive ammo.

Whenever I go hiking in grizzly territory with my family, I tell my wife and kids to choose someone from the neighborhood none of us in the family like very much. We invite him along on our hike.

When we get out of the car, my family and I huddle together, out of earshot of our guest.

"Remember, children," I tell them, "If we get attacked by a grizzly..."

"We know, dad... we don't have to run faster than the bear..."

"We just have to run faster than (insert name of guest).

Don Barnett

imported post

.44 Magnum and above and with barrels longer than 3". For the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would carry a "hand cannon" with a snub nose barrel!!

Also, when you are shooting at a charging bear with a six shooter, you only shoot five rounds...and save the last one for yourself, in case the first five fail.

celticredneck

imported post

Personally, I'd choose to not be there in the first place. If I was, I would want nothing smaller than a .44 mag, loaded with the hottest , heaviest solid loads I could shoot. It wasn't a grizzly, but many years ago, Fred Bear appeared on a hunting show where he stalked and took a Polar bear with a bow. After the episode ended with the bear down, Fred came on camera and addressed the TV audience. It went something like this:

"I have taken many dangerous animals with my bow and I truely believe it will bring down any animal. However, I'm not stupid. Here is my shot on the Polar bear filmed from a different angle."

At that point, the video comes on, showing Fred taking aim at the bear. Now in the camera view, standing behind and slightly off to the side is a guy with what Fred identified as a .458 magnum rifle.

PT111

imported post

Twenty rounds of 9mm will easily bring down a Grizzly with correct sthot placement. Twenty rounds of .458 magnum will notautomatically bring one down especially if you miss with 19 of them. The difference as always is shot placement. Also you have to remember the absolute rule to never bring just a knife to a gunfight.

If you never go into bear country alone all you need is a .22. If you see a bear you shoot your buddy in the knee so you can be sure to outrun him.

Don Barnett

imported post

I have heard that if you chose to hunt bear with bow and arrow, that it is considered a necessity to have a backup shooter armed with a 12 Guage/ 00 Buckshot.

Drinking Beer

imported post

Well actual since I am a highly trained marshal artist, I probably would not need a firearm against something like an untrained grizzly bear. My reflexes are awesome, and I have been practicing my round house kicks and head locks. I usually carry my Desert Eagle 50 cal openly on my hip, but I would feel bad for the bear and not even consider using it. No doubt if I ever saw a bear I would just yell, "Don't mess with these guns!" and flex my awesome biceps. If the dumb bear didn't think I meant business then I would but him in a choke hold. One time I was on a private African safari hunting lions. A was charged by a full grown male lion at 25 yards. I had no time to grab my Deagle so I jumped a round house kick and knocked the lion down. I have been strengthening my legs riding my bicycle, because my Harley is in the shop getting a new custom skull paint job. Anyhow, my legs are like tree trunks, and my kicks are awesome. After I kicked the lions face, he came back for more and thats when I said to him, "Stay in school, bitch!" and blasted him with 1 precision places shot to the head with my Desert Eagle. His head exploded and got brains all over my karate outfit. I had the lion stuffed and put in my executive skyrise office in the empire state building.

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

KarateMaster96 wrote:
Well actual since I am a highly trained marshal artist, I probably would not need a firearm against something like an untrained grizzly bear. My reflexes are awesome, and I have been practicing my round house kicks and head locks. I usually carry my Desert Eagle 50 cal openly on my hip, but I would feel bad for the bear and not even consider using it. No doubt if I ever saw a bear I would just yell, "Don't mess with these guns!" and flex my awesome biceps. If the dumb bear didn't think I meant business then I would but him in a choke hold. One time I was on a private African safari hunting lions. A was charged by a full grown male lion at 25 yards. I had no time to grab my Deagle so I jumped a round house kick and knocked the lion down. I have been strengthening my legs riding my bicycle, because my Harley is in the shop getting a new custom skull paint job. Anyhow, my legs are like tree trunks, and my kicks are awesome. After I kicked the lions face, he came back for more and thats when I said to him, "Stay in school, bitch!" and blasted him with 1 precision places shot to the head with my Desert Eagle. His head exploded and got brains all over my karate outfit. I had the lion stuffed and put in my executive skyrise office in the empire state building.
I don't want to get too far off topic, but your story reminds me of a lone mountain man I used to knowwho traveled the Rockies alone, living off the land. When he wasn't spending his time wrestling mountain lions and punching moose and elk in the face, he was doing his typical mountain man stuff; like building log cabins, growing a massive beard, telling stories with morals at the end, and hunting and fishing. He was so manly he didn't even hunt with a weapon or fish with a fishing pole. He would just walk right into the lake, find the biggest fish around, and capture the fish between is massive mountain man chest muscles and walk right out of the water.

Well, one time on a visit he did just that, but when he came out of the water with his fish, a 2,000 lb grizzly bear foolishly approached him expecting him to surrender his catch. Being that the mountain man never carried a weapon (as he didn't need one), he just drove his fists into two large trees, ripped them out by the roots and used them as two massive swords against the bear. One swipe of a tree sent the bear soaring over the mountain. I've never seen a bear fly before, well, other than the Himalayan-flying-bearded-bear.

Huck

imported post

From what I've heard there'slittle short of artillery that'll stop a Grizz cold, most certainly not any pistol cartridge. A 9MM would probably only annoy a Grizz.

When I'm in Grizzly country I pack a Marlin 1895G riflein .45-70. Those 405 grain unjacketed bullets may not stopa Grizzlyin his tracks but they'll certainly slow him down.

When I was a kid I asked my Grandfather how to tell a Black Bear from a Grizzly Bear and he said; "you sneak up behind him reeeal slow and quiet... Then kick him in the butt and run to the nearest tree and climb up it! If he climbs up the tree and eats you, it a Black Bear, if he knocks the tree down and eats you, it's a Grizz!" :)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

randomgrizzly-bear-warning-sign.jpg

darthmord

imported post

Huck wrote:
From what I've heard there'slittle short of artillery that'll stop a Grizz cold, most certainly not any pistol cartridge. A 9MM would probably only annoy a Grizz.

When I'm in Grizzly country I pack a Marlin 1895G riflein .45-70. Those 405 grain unjacketed bullets may not stopa Grizzlyin his tracks but they'll certainly slow him down.

When I was a kid I asked my Grandfather how to tell a Black Bear from a Grizzly Bear and he said; "you sneak up behind him reeeal slow and quiet... Then kick him in the butt and run to the nearest tree and climb up it! If he climbs up the tree and eats you, it a Black Bear, if he knocks the tree down and eats you, it's a Grizz!" :)

Given your picture... if I had that 9mm, I'd be emptying the thing into the bear's mouth. if it's going to give me an easier shot at the soft stuff, I'm going to take it. Their physiology isn't that different from ours (in terms of general organ placement). Thus their head & neck have a lot of arteries and veins.

Shooting any sort of critter in the mouth is a good way to make it dead.

But 100 yards away, I'm going up a tree. If it follows, I'm hauling*** up the tree and shooting. Even as an adult, I can still climb a tree PDQ. I'm also not afraid of jumping out of a tree either leaving the bear up in the tree. I'm smaller and lighter. Thus I can get down using thinner branches than the bear can.

The main thing is to maximize my mobility and advantages to have any chance of success. Otherwise, I'm dinner. Sound advice whenever you are dealing with something larger / heavier / stronger than yourself.

Jizzzle

imported post

grizzlies like i said before give you issues with penetration. it doesn't matter where you place the shot if you are not packing enough power to reach the vital stuff. they are built like tanks. a 9mm would give the bear a headache for sure but i doubt very seriously penetrate the skull even at point black or close to point blank ranges.

buddies and i have hunted them before and have seen first hand other hunters whose first shot from a .45-70 glanced off the skull (knocking it out but not penetrating) and then the bear wakes up while thehunters are making their way to theitand is very pissy.

not to mention the muscle mass that a bear has. we skinned one and found 12 different bullets in it of differect calibers that had healed prior to my buddies kill shot. all where not near any bones and where not readily identifiable but not small calibers.

i know this is a hypothetical situation but, these bears are no joke. they are built like tanks, PMS'y tanks.

Prophet

imported post

Johnny Stiletto wrote:
I don't want to get too far off topic, but your story reminds me of a lone mountain man I used to know who traveled the Rockies alone, living off the land. When he wasn't spending his time wrestling mountain lions and punching moose and elk in the face, he was doing his typical mountain man stuff; like building log cabins, growing a massive beard, telling stories with morals at the end, and hunting and fishing. He was so manly he didn't even hunt with a weapon or fish with a fishing pole. He would just walk right into the lake, find the biggest fish around, and capture the fish between is massive mountain man chest muscles and walk right out of the water.

Well, one time on a visit he did just that, but when he came out of the water with his fish, a 2,000 lb grizzly bear foolishly approached him expecting him to surrender his catch. Being that the mountain man never carried a weapon (as he didn't need one), he just drove his fists into two large trees, ripped them out by the roots and used them as two massive swords against the bear. One swipe of a tree sent the bear soaring over the mountain. I've never seen a bear fly before, well, other than the Himalayan-flying-bearded-bear.

You know Chuck Norris? AWESOME!!

Legba

imported post

We don't have a lot of bears in Ohio, but if I were in the sticks and was arming to defend against such a possible large-beast encounter, I'd probably pick a 12-gauge with #1 buck as my weapon of choice. Offensively, if I were hunting such beasts, I'd probably choose a .30-06 for picking them off at a greater distance.

The 9mm vs. sword suggestion is an ugly choice. I guess, of the two, thatthe 9mm would be handier for committing suicide in preference to being eaten alive.

-ljp

office888

imported post

I'll take the 9mm.

Climb a tree, go for the face. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If it's a male, you could always aim south and go for the emasculating shot...

:D

-Richard-

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I’ve been waiting in the weeds on this one too long. I can’t help myself but try an answer to the question.

First off, he’s 100 yards away. I’ll go ahead and draw the 9mm and the Katana because I won’t have time to draw the Katana later and it may be impossible if the bear gets to close. I won’t fire yet because 100 yards away leaves at least enough time to decide if the bear is really coming after me. Since I’m in an open meadow and couldn’t have really startled him maybe there is something else he’s after. Is a much more scrumptious looking Michael Moore standing behind me? Now, blazing away with the 9mm might be enough to piss him off and come after me instead of eating Michael Moore so I’d definitely check first.

If I’m still convinced he’s coming after me I'llfire a couple of warning shots with the 9mm. I mean hitting him will just piss him off but the sound of the shots may make him think twice about coming any closer. Next, I’ll re-holster the 9 quickly and get both hands on my Katana. If I’m carrying a Katana it’s gonna be a good one. Hammer forge, hardened edge, and tempered back bone. I saw a recent episode of “Time Warp” on the Discovery channel and a guy nearly effortlessly cut through a whole ass end of a pig, ham bone and all so I know a Katana can do the job.

While the griz is coming towards me I’ll contemplate using the shiny sword to reflect light into his eyes and blind him, but realizing that’s a stupid idea I’ll instead use the Katana to keep distance between me and the bear. I would guess it would make our reaches pretty close. 4ft of Katana plus 3ft of arm. Now, he’s gonna try to get to me with all of his fingers intact, I can guarantee I’ll take off a few of them and will probably get a swipe or two at his face. That’s less claws to maul me with and he may even be missing an arm or an eye before I tire out.

The bear may now decide this isn’t worth the hassle and go away but maybe he will try to pounce on me and that will be his big mistake. I’ll dig the hilt of the sword into the ground and let him fall on me and the sword. He’ll be dead all right but now I’m stuck underneath 1,000 pounds of bear. Hopefully I’ll have enough wiggle room to draw the 9mm now. I’ll take it and fire the customary 3 shots into the air signifying that I need help and wait for my rescuers to arrive.

After they pull the bear off of me I’ll use the Katana to quarter it up. We’ll pack it out and have bear for supper.