• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you choose against a grizzly?

Decoligny

imported post

I Figure this ought to do the job. You have protection from the Grizz, a weapon to kill the Grizz, and a vehicle to haul the Grizz back to the taxidermist.

merkava-mk-iii-baz-mark-karvon.jpg

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
... Since I’m in an open meadow and couldn’t have really startled him maybe there is something else he’s after. Is a much more scrumptious looking Michael Moore standing behind me? Now, blazing away with the 9mm might be enough to piss him off and come after me instead of eating Michael Moore so I’d definitely check first.

If I’m still convinced he’s coming after me I'llfire a couple of warning shots with the 9mm. I mean hitting him will just piss him off but the sound of the shots may make him think twice about coming any closer. ...
You might want to save one of those warning shots for Michael Moore too. There is no telling what a Michael Moore in the wild is capable of. :uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
SNIP Is a much more scrumptious looking Michael Moore standing behind me? Now, blazing away with the 9mm might be enough to piss him off and come after me instead of eating Michael Moore so I’d definitely check first.

No self-respecting bear is gonna eat Michael Moore.

ShootMichael Moore; shoot the bear. Put the gun in the bear's paw. Call a Ranger. Obviously a murder-suicide.:D

Article1section23

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
I’ve been waiting in the weeds on this one too long. I can’t help myself but try an answer to the question.

First off, he’s 100 yards away. I’ll go ahead and draw the 9mm and the Katana because I won’t have time to draw the Katana later and it may be impossible if the bear gets to close. I won’t fire yet because 100 yards away leaves at least enough time to decide if the bear is really coming after me. Since I’m in an open meadow and couldn’t have really startled him maybe there is something else he’s after. Is a much more scrumptious looking Michael Moore standing behind me? Now, blazing away with the 9mm might be enough to piss him off and come after me instead of eating Michael Moore so I’d definitely check first.

If I’m still convinced he’s coming after me I'llfire a couple of warning shots with the 9mm. I mean hitting him will just piss him off but the sound of the shots may make him think twice about coming any closer. Next, I’ll re-holster the 9 quickly and get both hands on my Katana. If I’m carrying a Katana it’s gonna be a good one. Hammer forge, hardened edge, and tempered back bone. I saw a recent episode of “Time Warp” on the Discovery channel and a guy nearly effortlessly cut through a whole ass end of a pig, ham bone and all so I know a Katana can do the job.

While the griz is coming towards me I’ll contemplate using the shiny sword to reflect light into his eyes and blind him, but realizing that’s a stupid idea I’ll instead use the Katana to keep distance between me and the bear. I would guess it would make our reaches pretty close. 4ft of Katana plus 3ft of arm. Now, he’s gonna try to get to me with all of his fingers intact, I can guarantee I’ll take off a few of them and will probably get a swipe or two at his face. That’s less claws to maul me with and he may even be missing an arm or an eye before I tire out.

The bear may now decide this isn’t worth the hassle and go away but maybe he will try to pounce on me and that will be his big mistake. I’ll dig the hilt of the sword into the ground and let him fall on me and the sword. He’ll be dead all right but now I’m stuck underneath 1,000 pounds of bear. Hopefully I’ll have enough wiggle room to draw the 9mm now. I’ll take it and fire the customary 3 shots into the air signifying that I need help and wait for my rescuers to arrive.

After they pull the bear off of me I’ll use the Katana to quarter it up. We’ll pack it out and have bear for supper.
Brass...without a doubt...you have the best post....well done!