• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what would you reccomend i do temporarily?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

"Waiting for police to arrive"

After the incident in AZ where the officer shot the homeowner several times (at least 6 shots into him) while he was holding the intruder at gunpoint, I do not think that would be my first choice.
I would rather not take anothers life, but If I see the need to, I will.

lil_freak_66

imported post

im still worried as to what i should have planned to do if somebody comes through the rear door,as the back 1/3 of my place would be a no shoot zone.

granted i have the rear door sealed well enough you would probably need to pry it open with a crow bar.

ill make a diagram of the place,as close to scale as i can,to give yall a better idea of what im dealing with.

will edit with diagram SOON.

T Vance

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
ill make a diagram of the place,as close to scale as i can,to give yall a better idea of what im dealing with.

will edit with diagram SOON.

JMO, but you may not want to put a diagram of your house online for all to see. There are ways of people finding your address, then they could see the diagram and know entry points, who sleeps where, what your stratgeies are, etc.

Sure it may be a far stretch, but why risk making it easier. Just try and practice in your house with what protection you have, and make the most of it. Again, just my opinion.

Michigander

imported post

If it was all I had for defense, I personally would saw about a foot off the 870 barrel.

Although, I suppose the main purpose of a HD shotgun is lying in wait for bad guys while calling the cops, and even with that extremely long barrel, it could do that alright.

lil_freak_66

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Then for Pete's sake, keep your booger hook off the bang button:shock::what::uhoh:.springerdave.

for major things its not impulse,but on what id consider small things i just tend to act,such as buying something i see at the store at first glance,and other minor things.

still working on perfecting what id do in this house as to where i should and shouldnt shoot,but for the most part i think i have down what id do.

so dont worry about firearms,im good mostly.:D

BreakingTheMold

imported post

moz-screenshot-1.jpg
2 guns one hand you say?:cool:

Bronson

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
Maybe some low brass shells loaded with rock salt would be the right medicine :what:.
Nope. Not enough mass in the salt for it to penetrate deep enough into the squishy bits. If your SD load has enough power to penetrate to the vital organs of a person it will have enough power to penetrate walls.

Shotgun loaded with rock salt

And before anybody brings it up loading a shotgun with dimes doesn't work either.

Shotgun loaded with dimes

And here's a bunch of tests involving shotguns:

Rifles, shotguns, and walls

Buckshot patterns

Precision shooting with a buckshot

Buckshot in a rifled shotgun barrel

Shotgun chokes and buckshot Part 1, Part 2

Shotgun slugs, sabots, and smooth bore barrels

Bronson

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That Ruger has a 10" barrel, right?

I'm pretty sure you're going to see more penetration in your backstop with the .22 than with your 16 gauge.

lil_freak_66

imported post

marshaul wrote:
That Ruger has a 10" barrel, right?

I'm pretty sure you're going to see more penetration in your backstop with the .22 than with your 16 gauge.

its not a charger,its a regular 10/22 with a side folding stock that under current michigan law is considered a handgun because it is less than 30 inches in length when folded,its actually about 26 1/8 when folded and the muzzlebrake/flash hider off.

some wierd law that is going to be gone soon i hear,but with the longarms already registered as handguns,being allowed to remain handguns legally

oh and slowdog,can you tell me more about those training dvds please?

sevenplusone

imported post

When in doubt go for the shotgun. A .22 is not the piece you want to be reaching for.
If you have two field length barrels for that Shotty why don't you shop one down to 18"?

sevenplusone

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
just the one barrel,no luck on finding adifferent one,and no money for a shorter one

I misread your first post. For some reason I thought you had the choice between a 30" or 32" barrel.

For the record, I believe the 870 16 gauge is offered only in 26" or 28", there aren't any 30 or above.

lil_freak_66

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
just the one barrel,no luck on finding adifferent one,and no money for a shorter one

I misread your first post. For some reason I thought you had the choice between a 30" or 32" barrel.

For the record, I believe the 870 16 gauge is offered only in 26" or 28", there aren't any 30 or above.

it was manf. in 1969,and is the wingmaster version.

i saw one for retail sale on the remington site as recently as a year ago with a barrel length of i think 24 inches and deer sights.

but at the time i had other firearms to use,and considered the 870 almost strictly a deer and waterfowl weapon.

they discontinued it,and i do not wish to call to see if they have one in stock from last year without the ability to purchase it.

and every site ive checked does not have the 16 ga. barrels.

heck half the people ive talked to didnt even know they made a 16 ga. 870

**ADD ON**

back to the 10/22,since it is legally a handgun in MI,am i not allowed to attach a forward pistol grip to it now?since it could be considered an AOW.

but by federal standards it is still considered a long arm....

going to install the quad rail system soon,and intend to add a good light and possibly a grip,but i wish to stay within the legal area.

ive been thinking about it for a good hour and cant come up with how to handle it.

heard you need to register it as an AOW as per NFA regulations if a handgun is to have a forward pistol grip.

is it something that is legal,illegal or only illegal in MI?

Bronson

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
ive been thinking about it for a good hour and cant come up with how to handle it.

Easy. Use the shotgun.

It's not "tacti-cool" like the 10/22 but from where I sit reading the description of your situation it sounds like it'll serve you better.

From what I've read you want to put a quad rail, vertical foregrip, and tactical light on the 10/22 but you don't have any money for a more useablehome defense gun.

Take the money you're going to spend on all of that stuff and go to the gunstore and buy a decent used single shot or double barrel 20 gauge and be done with it. Heck, depending on the type of light you want to put on the 10/22 you might be able to get a decent used pump 20 ga. And don't forget that layaway is your friend. I have never been able to just walk in and buy a gun I always use layaway ...it is a great thing.

Oh, and don't discount the 20 ga. for home defense

20 gauge shotgun

As Clint Smith says "I don't need a thousand dollar shotgun. I need to learn to run the gun I've got."

Bronson

T Vance

imported post

I picked up my 12 Gauge pump used at Cabela's. And it wasn't a hunting shotgun. It was a Savage/Stevens police issued (in the late 60's/early 70's) tactical 12 gauge pump.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Bronson wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Easy. Use the shotgun.

It's not "tacti-cool" like the 10/22 but from where I sit reading the description of your situation it sounds like it'll serve you better.

From what I've read you want to put a quad rail, vertical foregrip, and tactical light on the 10/22 but you don't have any money for a more useablehome defense gun.

Take the money you're going to spend on all of that stuff and go to the gunstore and buy a decent used single shot or double barrel 20 gauge and be done with it. Heck, depending on the type of light you want to put on the 10/22 you might be able to get a decent used pump 20 ga. And don't forget that layaway is your friend. I have never been able to just walk in and buy a gun I always use layaway ...it is a great thing.

Oh, and don't discount the 20 ga. for home defense

20 gauge shotgun

As Clint Smith says "I don't need a thousand dollar shotgun. I need to learn to run the gun I've got."

Bronson

just sold my 20 ga. that was the original HD firearm.

as to the 10/22 stuff,i already havethe rail and a flashlight,only need to add a pressure switch to it.