• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Did You Carry Today And How Did It Go

kylemoul

Went to Bass Pro in St Charles today and walked past old greeter. Got near the gun section (he didnt stop me right away) and asked if I was an officer. I said no and he proceeded to tell me I have to conceal it. I stated OC is legal and if he was asking me to leave (had **** to do wanted to get to the point). He asked if I would speak with the manager. Old greeter and I walked to the Cust Serv counter where manager was and I said Old greeter questioned me OC my firearm. She said thats fine and I walked away.

I OC in Cabelas and Bass every time and been in there 1000 times. Not sure what was the issue this time. O well.

mspgunner

The Bass Pro web site specifically says all greeters have been trained to allow OC where allowed by law, not to question open carriers, they have been trained in the handling of firearms brought in for service and "CERTIFIED" by Bass Pro.
I've walked by the **man** many times, never questioned.

Went to Bass Pro in St Charles today and walked past old greeter. Got near the gun section (he didnt stop me right away) and asked if I was an officer. I said no and he proceeded to tell me I have to conceal it. I stated OC is legal and if he was asking me to leave (had **** to do wanted to get to the point). He asked if I would speak with the manager. Old greeter and I walked to the Cust Serv counter where manager was and I said Old greeter questioned me OC my firearm. She said thats fine and I walked away.

I OC in Cabelas and Bass every time and been in there 1000 times. Not sure what was the issue this time. O well.

Last edited by a moderator:

kylemoul

The Bass Pro web site specifically says all greeters have been trained to allow OC where allowed by law, not to question open carriers, they have been trained in the handling of firearms brought in for service and "CERTIFIED" by Bass Pro.
I've walked by the **man** many times, never questioned.

Yes I was a little stunned myself. the managers didnt waste a second of my time or look at my firearm to see if i was OC or anything at all. Just like yes your fine and walked off. Old man maybe just wanted to give me a hard time I assume. Im 26 but have a nice beard growing for deer season so not really looking like a young person to pick on.

I had to run to bass and cabelas and just had **** to do and was not mean but stern and damn i didnt want to put up with any ****. ordered a sks magazine but couldnt remember if i ordered it from cabelas or bass and no one could find my order lol...turned out i ordered it from cabelas. looked like an idiot asking for my package that was never there.

i know they are trained and i think i seen him in here before and even walked past him before. O well. First encounter i guess if you wanna say that.

NG19

Today I got out of class at 8:45, it was a nice night so we decided to take a walk around town. Just a quick one on count of the rain was starting to roll in. About half an hour in, we received a text from the university that there were shots fired into the air a mile or so away. Thought that tonight was going to be my first encounter with Warrensburg PD, but didn't even see a one. Glad to get the rain that started to come down just as we got back.

HighFlyingA380

Today I got out of class at 8:45, it was a nice night so we decided to take a walk around town. Just a quick one on count of the rain was starting to roll in. About half an hour in, we received a text from the university that there were shots fired into the air a mile or so away. Thought that tonight was going to be my first encounter with Warrensburg PD, but didn't even see a one. Glad to get the rain that started to come down just as we got back.
Just curious, what area of town do you normally walk around?

NG19

I've walked around Lion's quite a bit with no problem. I'm surprised you don't get calls on you every time you carry downtown.

They either don't notice or don't care. I've passed several cops walking by me or driving by and never an issue. I've only noticed a few even look at me. Now as far as university property is concerned, I know what they own and if I'm walking around the university then ill stay on the streets. Campus PDF have stopped me both carrying and not. Once because I did not completely stop at a stop sign and once walking on the Washington between the frat complex and Greenwood apartments. University police were iffy on allowing me to walk through, but after talking with them, they said as long as they didn't get any calls they were fine with me walking on city streets.

HighFlyingA380

They either don't notice or don't care. I've passed several cops walking by me or driving by and never an issue. I've only noticed a few even look at me. Now as far as university property is concerned, I know what they own and if I'm walking around the university then ill stay on the streets. Campus PDF have stopped me both carrying and not. Once because I did not completely stop at a stop sign and once walking on the Washington between the frat complex and Greenwood apartments. University police were iffy on allowing me to walk through, but after talking with them, they said as long as they didn't get any calls they were fine with me walking on city streets.
Good to hear about the UPD. I've carried near WPD, Troopers, and HiPo before with no issue. I've always been worried about encountering UPD, assuming they would not be up to speed on the laws and would just immediately freak out. Good to know that's not really the case.

NG19

Good to hear about the UPD. I've carried near WPD, Troopers, and HiPo before with no issue. I've always been worried about encountering UPD, assuming they would not be up to speed on the laws and would just immediately freak out. Good to know that's not really the case.

Now, I don't know about the rest of the upd but the Guy I was stopped by knew me from when I lived in Greenwood. He knows his laws and is a good cop. I'm not so sure on the rest if I get stopped by them. Hope to never find out though. As long as I'm off of the school property, they can't say much.

bp231986

I open carried in one of my three walmarts here in columbia. went to the one on grindstone. As i was doing my shopping i heard over the PA system some code, shortly the night manager came up behind me going " Sir do you have a permit for that? Sir!! i turned around and pulled my shopping cart to the side. i said what can i do for ya sir. He asked me do you have a permit for that and pointed at my sidearm. i said no i do not nor do i need to as it is legal here in columbia. lol they manager gave me the most confused look i have ever seen, lol so much so i had a hard time trying not to smile. i stayed called and told him that open carrying a handgun in columbia is legal. he than said no that cant be right you have to have a permit. i told the manager that a permit is for conceal not open carry. he looked at me like he was lost. im sure in his mind he was just trying to figure out what in the hell to do as to his knolege he did not know it was legal. i informed him that i have spoker with the CPD to confirm this and i would have no problem standing by if he felt the need to call the police, but i did ask him if he was going to do that if i could place the eggs and cheese that i had in my cart back on the coolers till i was done talking to the LEO. the manager looked at me and aske me, are you sure this is legal. i looked at him and said sir if you have any reason to believe that im not telling the truth and im breaking the law to do what he feels he must. i than went to explaine my reasons as to why i open carry. the mannager shook my hand and slapped my back lol and told me to have a good night. i smiled and said thaks and told him, go to www.opencarry.org check it out we would love to have ya. manager walked away still looking as lost as ever. i continued my shopping with the though in the back of my head that a LEO would show up soon, never did. finished my shopping and went on home. this was at about 0100hrs.

bp231986

Sounds like a good encounter. I love it when people think you have to have a permit just to carry. lol

It was a positive encounter and for that im glad, lol and yes most people think you need a permit. I fear though that if cities keep banning OCing that it will soon land here in mid mo.

SixGunCowboy

OC'ing during the American Royal Parade

I was down on Pershing and Grand Blvd. enjoying the parade and I got about half way through the parade when two Securitas agents approached me and asked me for my license, I gave it to them. It was loud down there due to the noise from the Parade. They asked me if I had a permit to carry, and I told them that I did not have a CCW as it was illegal. They then told me that I should not have been carrying around the parade and was asked to leave. So, I left. I missed about half of the Parade. Apparently they don't like people being armed during the American Royal Parade.. Needless to say, I think I will not attend the next one.

kcgunfan

And why did you give it to a rent a cop? Were you on public property or easement? Why do you think you had to follow the orders of a rent a cop?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

SixGunCowboy

And why did you give it to a rent a cop? Were you on public property or easement? Why do you think you had to follow the orders of a rent a cop?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I felt it was necessary to present my license to the Security agent. I was on Pershing and Grand Blvd. so yes, I was outside in public. I didn't want to risk a scene as there was a huge crowd down there.

The more we give in to such wanna be cops with unreasonable request the more rights we lose. Did they give you the ordinance number you were supposedly violating or was it just their think so and they didn't like the idea that you were open carrying.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I am confused a whole lot. If you were on public property, rent a ***** security guards have NOTHING to say to you.

I would have told them to FO and if they continued to speak to me at any level I would have called the cops and requested they be removed for harassing me.

I can understand you taking the path you did with a police officer though I would have politely declined interaction, but not some jerks trying to complete a power trip.

I do completely understand your desire to keep the peace, however, you are mistaken in your thought that you had anything to do with it, THEY breached your peace and should have been punished/made to stop. Either way, water under the bridge, but in the future, take note, security guards carry only a private property owners rights on the property they are contracted to protect. They can force you to leave that property only, not the public property surrounding and they have only free speech rights, no authority what so ever and if you seek to stop them from bothering you, call a real cop and ask him to assist.

You have a right not to be harassed or assaulted on public property and you will find that quite often a good cop will be very much on your side when it comes to power monger security guards.

Last edited by a moderator: