• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which 9mm Handgun?

09jisaac

lol guys, you're really going to compare a replica and a video game to the real thing? at least handle one before you make judgement.

LOL, apparently you didn't get the irony of my post. Earlier I urged OP not to judge firearms from plastic toy replicas, to which he replied that he wasn't and was getting all of his opinion from his friends. Then he posted again that he didn't like the gun because, once again, of a toy he once held. So I exaggerated it to show the stupidity of his logic. No one can fully judge a firearm off of a video game or off of a airsoft gun.

JesterP99

according to the wikipedia article on the P99, design work on it began in 1994 and production started in 1997, so my guess is that refers to the design date (oddly, my mags have no date on them that I'm aware of)

but it is wikipedia and whoever wrote that article didn't cite a source, so I guess we can both take it with a grain of salt. But I would hope that someone that lists dates like that has some sort of reference they're going by.

I will look into it, I know it is that old, but I don't know if it is actually THAT old. I do know the magazine says 94, so maybe I am wrong. I looked at the case today and couldn't find a date. I did notice that the foam padding had become brittle and started to disintegrate in my hand when I touched it. I will get the serial number and see what I can find.

Boba Fett

I said I'm not forming my opinions based only on my evaluation of egonomics and controls, however they do play a large role in my opinion of firearms. Why does it bother you that I like to pick my guns on how they feel, rather than how they shoot? Accuracy is not paramount in a self-defense situation. Speed, deliberate action, and reliability is.

And as for plastic, I would not be so quick to diss plastic-framed handguns. Polymer has proven to be as good as metal IMO.

SovereignAxe

I'm not bothered by the fact you choose a gun based on how it feels. That's one reason I'll probably never own a Glock-I hate the Glock grip; it's blocky and the angle is wrong. I've yet to try one with a Hogue overgrip though, so when someone brings me one of those I may change my mind.

That being said, NOT choosing a handgun based on how it shoots, to me, is a bad thing. There are plenty of great shooting guns out there with great ergonomics, so there's nothing wrong with choosing ergonomics first, THEN choosing the best shooting gun out of the ones that feel right to you. That's how I chose my P99. I'll challenge anyone to a shooting match with a G19 any day, and if they beat me it'll be because they're the better shooter-not because they have the better gun. If anything they're evenly matched.

09jisaac

I said I'm not forming my opinions based only on my evaluation of egonomics and controls, however they do play a large role in my opinion of firearms. Why does it bother you that I like to pick my guns on how they feel, rather than how they shoot? Accuracy is not paramount in a self-defense situation. Speed, deliberate action, and reliability is.

And as for plastic, I would not be so quick to diss plastic-framed handguns. Polymer has proven to be as good as metal IMO.

Your reasons for choosing/not choosing a gun is yours. I am just trying to point out though that you should choose/not choose a gun because of THE GUN, not a toy that is suppose to be something that looks like it might have been designed off of one. I also, never said there was anything wrong with plastics, ALL of my guns have plastics (polymer), I said not to judge a firearm by a plastic toy replica. My firearms handle differently and feel differently because they have a whole bunch of metal parts.

I am not trying to be mean about this. I want you to find a gun that you will like. If you are like many on here you can't afford to spend $500 on complete garbage. So probably want to find a gun you like your first buy. I wish you the best of luck in your purchase.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Your reasons for choosing/not choosing a gun is yours. I am just trying to point out though that you should choose/not choose a gun because of THE GUN, not a toy that is suppose to be something that looks like it might have been designed off of one. I also, never said there was anything wrong with plastics, ALL of my guns have plastics (polymer), I said not to judge a firearm by a plastic toy replica. My firearms handle differently and feel differently because they have a whole bunch of metal parts.

I am not trying to be mean about this. I want you to find a gun that you will like. If you are like many on here you can't afford to spend $500 on complete garbage. So probably want to find a gun you like your first buy. I wish you the best of luck in your purchase.

Exactly. Even a high-quality metal airsoft "replica" will balance differently, not to mention recoil differently (and the character of a given design's recoil does affect different shooters differently).

I buy Airsoft guns based on the real guns I like, not the other way around.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I'd stay away from walthers. I've owned one(p22), and a friend owned a pps, both malfunctioned nearly every magazine. The p22 was worse than the pps, and when I sent it to smith&wesson to have it worked on, they sent it back saying nothing is wrong with it! I was going to buy a p380 for my g/f, but after all that, I went with a different model.

09jisaac

When I first replied I suggested the M&P, then someone suggested the 220. Both I really like, you shot them down quick with the "they don't feel right". And I have never mentioned anything about that. Why? Because that is a very valid reason. I have turned down very good guns because of this (glocks), and I refuse to buy them. I don't care that they have a very good field record, if I don't like the way they feel then I will not have one.

Also, another tip: Some polymer pistols out there now a days have different back straps and a lot of guns have different grips that you can change to change the feel of a gun. Most gun stores have the medium grip on the gun and that would work for most people, but if you like a smaller "feeling" gun then you might want small. Or if you have bigger than average hands you may like the large better.

Boba Fett

That's where things get weird for me. I have small hands but really long fingers! So generally fat guns feel better. However I did have a Pachmayer grip on a KJW G23 once and it felt too fat. So Glock compacts feel nice, even though I can't stand full size like the G17. The grip extends past the bottom of my hand! haha

"Exactly. Even a high-quality metal airsoft "replica" will balance differently, not to mention recoil differently (and the character of a given design's recoil does affect different shooters differently)."

Very well said.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Your gonna want to consider a guns reliability if your purchasing a gun for self-defense. It doesn't matter how good it feels in your hand if it won't cycle when you need it. Most of the big names you will be ok with. Glock, sig, s&w, kahr, para, kimber. I would also suggest if your purchasing a gun based on feel alone, then choose a revolver in 9mm if you must have that caliber. Many big name manufacturers are selling revolvers in this caliber and they will go bang every time.

Steeler-gal

I realize that MiaStar has the same thread going, but I didn't want to hijack it by blabbing about the models I'm interested in on his thread.

I'm looking into my first handgun, and I want a 9mm. Ideally I want something that's compact, around the size of a Glock 19, and under $600. I'd also prefer if there's a SERPA out for it, as I swear by the SERPA.

Here are a few that I'm considering: Glock 19; Beretta PX4 Storm; Beretta PX4 Compact; Kahr CW9: Kel-Tec P11; Walther PPS; XD9 Compact; USP Compact;

I recently purchased a Kahr CW9 and am really liking it. It's my new favorite carry firearm.

I've shot the XD 9mm Compact and like it very much too.

Boba Fett

I recently purchased a Kahr CW9 and am really liking it. It's my new favorite carry firearm.

I've shot the XD 9mm Compact and like it very much too.

I do not yet have an actual opinion of the CW9, as I have yet to hold or fire one. Still waiting for the chance to check one out.

Maverick Lee

Opt-Out Members
Choices

Out of the guns you mentioned I like the USP Compact, great gun and great trigger for a DA/SA....a little pricey for my finances though. The Kahr CW9 is another good choice. Me personally though I am a SAO kinda guy, and have a really tight budget...that limits my choices to a very few guns. There are a few however, the Star BM9 is an all steel gun that can be had for usually less than $350. The Astra A-70 is another SAO that can be had for less than $400. Both are compact quality 9mm guns at budget prices. How about a Rock Island 1911 style .45acp MSP(mid size).

fragmag

Not a lot of love for the XD9, so I'll throw some it's way. I actually have the XDM9 compact and it is an amazing pistol. Sits great in my hand (and yes this was a factor in me choosing it over a glock) Aims, points, and shoots well. Has the torture test creds to back it up. If you haven't had a chance to shoot one, I would highly recommend it.

c45man

I have the SIG SAUER SP 2022 in .40. They have them chambered in 9mm, .40S&W, and .357Sig. The MSRP is $494.00 (Contrast) $583.00 (Night Sights). It is by far one of the most accurate weapons I have ever owned and shot. I can get less then a inch and a half grouping with it at 100yds. It is similar in looks to the USP but does not have a manual safety. It's a DA/SA. DA is 10lb trigger pull and SA is 4.4 They make serpasfor it. I use one.

Sig Guy, less than a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with a 40 S&W handgun? Either I am worst shot that ever was, or you should try out for the olympics.

09jisaac

Sig Guy, less than a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with a 40 S&W handgun? Either I am worst shot that ever was, or you should try out for the olympics.

I don't know if you are the worst shot ever, but I do agree with you on that one. Some rifles aren't even capable of that.

SovereignAxe

+1 for sigguy trying out for the olympics

seinfield.gif

yz9890

i think the best bang for your buck is a Glock 19 or an XD. Make sure Glock has worked the kinks out of the Gen4 G19 if that's the route you go or find a Gen3. I've got a bazillion rds of all types of ammo through my gen3 with no problems. the KelTec P11 is great if you're on a budget. the $500 guns have much better triggers and ergos though. if a smaller one is what you're looking for, the CZ Rami is a very nice little gun also for not much $$ if weight isn't an issue. I love my Glock 26 as well. the polymer frame Sig Sauers kind of suck in my experience but the 228, 229, 226, 239's are the cat's ass (but heavy). I've had some bad luck with the FN's and Ruger's (metal & polymer) also. The Smith&Wesson M&P's are sweet. I don't like the H&K USP's due to my personal preferences about their ergonomics and I'm not a fan of their mag release or their LEM trigger but their H&K P2000SK is awesome (my next purchase). my experience with pocket sized 9mm's is limited to the KelTec PF9, Ruger LC9, and Khar PM9. PF9 and LC9 are about the same. Ruger is a little more comfortable than the PF9 but encumbered with numerous unnecessary safety features. PF9 is cheaper and has a better trigger break IMO. Khar PM9 is still the boss of that class I think if you've got the $$ but the PF9 is so easy to carry and only cost $240. I've shot the new Sig P290 a bit and it's very nice but it seemed kind of heavy for that class. lots of other great 9mm's. All the Berettas are great but I don't like the superluminova sights on the storms. Tons of other great 9mm's. Have fun searching.