• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which 9mm Handgun?

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Sig Guy, less than a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with a 40 S&W handgun? Either I am worst shot that ever was, or you should try out for the olympics.

Funny that you say that. When I was in high school I was the CO of my JROTC pistol team and and XO of the rifle. For the Pistol team, our coach was a USA shooting team coach from Colorado springs. He taught us on his off season. He had me become a member of the USA shooting team. I wasn't in the olympics but did do competitions at the university. My first competition I got 3rd place. I haven't shot competitions since high school but have really considered getting back into it.

c45man

Funny that you say that. When I was in high school I was the CO of my JROTC pistol team and and XO of the rifle. For the Pistol team, our coach was a USA shooting team coach from Colorado springs. He taught us on his off season. He had me become a member of the USA shooting team. I wasn't in the olympics but did do competitions at the university. My first competition I got 3rd place. I haven't shot competitions since high school but have really considered getting back into it.

Mere childs' play compared to your 1.5 inch accuracy at 100 yards with a 40S&W handgun, even with a SIG.

Boba Fett

I agree, that accuracy is phenomenal! lol thankfully for me it doesn't matter since I'm a terrible shot at just 15 yards.

If I went for a G19 it'd definitely be a Gen 3.

c45man

Its alright boba. If sig posted that the 100 yard shots at 1.5 inches accuracy were shot at night with a wind factor of 45 mph, I would sell my guns.

DangerClose

i think the best bang for your buck is a Glock 19 or an XD.

I'd probably have to go with the Ruger SR9c for best bang for your buck. It's routinely under $400 shipped, is a more concealable double-stack carry gun than most, slap the extension mag in to make it full-size, backed by Ruger, looks cool, great trigger.... It's a great do-everything gun except for people who don't like safeties.

FMJ 911

I have a nice Daewoo DP-51 9mm. It's a good handgun, lightweight, compact, Useful 3-Way trigger system, 13+1 Capacity, Good 3-Dot Sights, Cheap when you can find them(About $250-$350), etc.

And +1 To Sigguy's shooting! He's a good shot! Don't get in a shootout with him! (I'm a "Classic" Rifle and Revolver Shooter by nature)

DWCook

Activist Member
I have been looking at getting a new 9mm, but cant decide on which one considering my choices are wide! I thought about buying a Beretta M9 (Military Version) or the M9 Elite version. But not sure if I really want to pull the trigger on getting that particular model.

Boba Fett

I'd probably have to go with the Ruger SR9c for best bang for your buck. It's routinely under $400 shipped, is a more concealable double-stack carry gun than most, slap the extension mag in to make it full-size, backed by Ruger, looks cool, great trigger.... It's a great do-everything gun except for people who don't like safeties.

I don't like safeties. lol

The M9 is a gun that feels awesome to me, and most of the features are awesome. However I've heard far too many horror stories about them, including the slide cracking. Plus they're a bit back-heavy. I'd go with a PX4 instead man.

M9's are quite well-suited to dual-wielding I might add... (Although leaping over gas tanks and rolling off roofs will land you in a chair with some bruises, which is where I am now)

Brevard13

Did you try the large backstrap with the M&P? I have decent sized hands and the M&P compact with the small grip is nice, however, I like a thicker grip so I run the medium and it feels great. You should try one with a large sized backstrap before you completely knock it down. One of the best shooting handguns I have ever shot.

My top recommendations

M&P
Ruger P89
G19 (about the same size as the M&p with a medium backstrap)
XD
Ruger SR9
G17 (since you like a bigger grip)
Walther P99 (only problem is the magazine release position sucks)

I have experience shooting all those. I also shot a PX4 that I didn't really care for at all.

Last edited:

Xulld

Only problem with buying a 9mm today is that you have too many good guns to choose from, I love them all.

XD
M&P
Glock
Walther P-series
Ruger S-series
HK

The list goes on and on and on. I can literally recommend them all, as I have shot them all and had good things to say about them all. Id say hit a rental range and spend a few hundred in ammo then decide, or just buy them all (eventually, like I plan to)

Brevard13

That's true, I don't know what size grip my cousin had on his M&P at the time. I shall try to look further into it.

If you can try it. It won't hurt anything. Either you will like it or you wont. My wife was dead set on a Glock until I bought her a M&P 9mm (hoping she wouldn't like it then I could keep it). She fell in love with it. Worst case scenario you have your cousin put on the bigger straps and you shoot some rounds and you don't like you all you have done is shot for free.