• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin's Candace Dainty makes the call: June 22 Madison OPEN CARRY RALLY is on!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Candy, I don't know if there's anything for you to be sorry about. Personally, I'd just want to hear what happened to make it go sour. You said "you guys" killed it, but didn't explain how. If we don't know, then what is to prevent the same thing from happening the next time?

Also what focus DID it have? What new focus might a future event have? What exactly did the Capitol police say?

c_dainty

imported post

I had said earlier that there would be no long guns. Mike supported that in a followup email. Many responses coming back seemed very hostile. Most of you are great guys but I just don't know enough of you.

Second Amendment Sisters is about women having the equipment to defend themselves G-d forbid they are victimized.

Somehow, in the excitement of OC involved, I didn't get that across. This was my fault. For that I apologize. I became energized by VanHollen's, memo and lost track of where I was really going.

I just do not know what else to say.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Oh. Well you could have asked Hubert to be in charge of that. He didn't allow long guns at his picnic, and nobody gave him any backtalk!

WWMDD?

c_dainty

imported post

I only just met him.

I'll tell you, Shotgun, I'm done for now. Can't talk about this much more. Please give me some space. I haven't slept worth a damn in three nights.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
The case did not indicate if the case was locked. Wheres that whip again??? I guess I cant see it. If my firearm is in a locked case and unloaded as the law requires why does it have to be out of reach? I tried reading the statutes but it really doesnt indicate the specific statute that requires the weapon be out of reach. Granted my tired eyes couldnt continue much further.
Because that's what the judges say the law is - gun is concealed in car in a case, locked glove box, or laying on seat; if concealed, must be out of reach, most likely, nowhere in passenge compartment. Until the legislature steps in and reforms the statutes, these absurd rreslts will continue.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I am glad that you came on this forum and worked with us. I expect that you will stay on and become more comfortable. There will be more events. I appreciate your efforts.

AaronS

imported post

If it makes you feel any better...

My wife would never carry a gun, at all. But for this, in Madison, she is telling me she will come with me, and have a gun on her hip. This is a first in 15 years for me.

Good job Sisters!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Hmmmm, I am not so sure that someone isn't just getting cold feet here. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, no one said anything about going into a state building therefore, how can the cap cops squash this without facing a lawsuit.

I mean if you are going to stand up for your rights then stand up for all of them.

I have to wonder just how much planning was involved and why someone would back out so easily after spending so much time on this.

And far as those posters on this forum with the negative attitude about what type of fire arm you can carry at this event. Those people are not even in Wisconsin so who cares what they think. Finish what you start quitting is really not an option.

If we all quit there will no longer be a 2nd amendment. Thats what the anti-gunners want.

The cap cops cannot re-write the laws.

Max

imported post

If this was Candy's event, meaning she planned it, did the leg work, sought the permits etc, then those that wanted to support her should do so according to her wishes. If you disagreed with her rules or her agenda, then don't go, plan your own event and make your own rules. I am sure she feels, rightly or wrongly, that her event was being hijacked by some here. I suspect she came her looking for support, not a debate. Not looking to start any trouble here nor piss anyone off, I am just stating my opinion on the affair.

MJ

imported post

The ones having the bad attitude and arguments arent even from Wisconsin. They are just very pro freedom as most Americans should be, I dont blame them for speaking up but they probably were not even going to go to this event.

I am sad we have grown so weak as a country, so much that we are afraid to use rights the law clearly says the government cannot infringe upon. I guess I will go open carry by myself some more lol.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Oh. Well you could have asked Hubert to be in charge of that. He didn't allow long guns at his picnic, and nobody gave him any backtalk!

WWMDD?

My guess would be that Hubert politely asked, versus saying "THOSE LONG GUNS ARE NOT GOING TO BE TOLERATED!"

I don't carry a long arm as a day-to-day practice, I don't use a silencer on my carry pistol...

As a matter of fact, my carry sidearm is a very boring 5" XD in a very boring SERPA holster.

What made my blood boil was the arrogance of Ms. Dainty to state what is and is not acceptable to be carried at a public location.

While I appreciate (honestly) the effort she has put into organizing this, that does not give her any right to dictate what is and is not acceptable as a carry firearm.

Stating that this gun is "bad" because it has a silencer, or it has a large magazine, or is of an unusual caliber, is no different than what the anti-gun activists do...

"That gun is black and looks scary, so it must be more 'bad' than a wood stock rifle."

My point to Ms. Dainty is that if she wants people to join "her" cause, stating that their legal and rightful choices are not acceptable and "will not be tolerated" is not an effective means of communication.

My best to all, and hopefully, if Ms. Dainty feels that she no longer wants to spearhead this rally, another will step forward to promote the venue.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm sorry. I shouldn't say anything, but I'm really PO'ed now. I don't blaim her for dropping the rally, that is/was her call. We do need to file suit against the Cap Police for violating out 1st Amendment right to peacibly assemble (should I call the ACLU?:uhoh:). I'm done with my little rant. I am dissappointed, but she was the one to pony up the courage in the first place. It's her call if she wants to cancel HER rally.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I actually wrote the ACLU. I don't agree with a lot of their positions, but this is a free country after all and it is their right to support the perceived rights of others. I have asked them to assist us in getting a permit approved or for general help. I didn't ask for suit under 42 USC 1983, just for a permit to gather.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

This kinda bites that it is cancelled. I just got an email back from Senator Kedzie.

Dear Paul,

Thank you for the information regarding the upcoming open carry rally in Madison. I have included the details of the event on Senator Kedzie's calendar.

Please feel free to stop in Senator Kedzie’s office- 126 South while you are in Madison.

Sincerely,

Michelle Osdene
Office of Senator Kedzie
11th Senate District

They at least sounded interested.

DanM

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
What made my blood boil was the arrogance of Ms. Dainty to state what is and is not acceptable to be carried at a public location.
I didn't get the perception she was arrogant, but just in the wrong place for the event rules she was thinking about. This is OpenCarry.org. The spirit I've observed here is if your weapon and form of carry are legal, you are welcome to IRL gatherings and events.

In order to exert the level of control over others' RKBAshe wished, this was the wrong place to try and get support and attendance to her event.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I respectfully disagree.

When I held an open carry event, at a public location, I specified "no long guns." All attendees abided by that request, and no one ever suggested coming to the picnic with an AR or any other type long gun.

I wasn't saying one couldn't carry a long gun, just not at this particular event. It was never commented on or questioned, but in this case, many are questioning.

We have always suggested people watch the video of how we would like to portray open carry at these very public events. Everyone has agreed to the standard set in the video until/except for this event.

I believe Candace was trying to draw attention to women not having the right to defend themselves, or a very limited right. Given that the USSC stated in the Heller decision, that handguns are theaccepted way of self defense, the only holstered firearms, no long guns request was/is not out of line.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

the big thing was saying no to the suppressor... if its a legally carried firearm why wouldnt it be welcome? being an open carry rally for self defense, i dont think anyone carries a rifle for that.
yes, most people do not carry a suppressor on their handguns.. but mr. greg has a valid reason for it and the proper papers to go with it.. i would see no problem.

its a shame its cancelled. it would have been a great way to get the word out that we are a free country and the right to bear arms is crucial to keeping it that way.. 

DanM

imported post

skamp wrote:
the big thing was saying no to the suppressor... if its a legally carried firearm why wouldnt it be welcome? being an open carry rally for self defense, i dont think anyone carries a rifle for that.
yes, most people do not carry a suppressor on their handguns.. but mr. greg has a valid reason for it and the proper papers to go with it.. i would see no problem.

Precisely. The issue, as I've read it, isn't really about the request for "no long guns". And actually there are two issues Ms. Dainty provoked which weren't a feature of Mr. Hoffman's requests.

1)Ms. Dainty apparently saw video of the Greenfield picnic, saw an added tactical feature or attachment to a holstered handgun (the flash/sound suppressor), declared it not a "typical carry gun", then on that premisedeclared it "not tolerated" at her event.

2)Ms. Dainty wished to prohibit pro-gun folks from discussing differences of opinion or facts (debate) with any media or anti-gun folks present.

About her organization, Ms. Dainty mentioned in this thread, "Our ultimate goal is a concealed [heremphasis, not mine] carry provision."About this event, Ms. Daintysaid,"My original plan was to have an Empty Holster Rally."

If what is REALLY important to Ms. Dainty isworking toward concealed carry reform and to hold "empty holster" gatherings, or at least gatherings where everyone has what she deems a "typical carry gun" which she can "tolerate", and no one canpolitely and eloquently addressopposing viewpoints from media or anti-gunners,I suggest OpenCarry.orgmight not be the best placefrom which to gatherattendance.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am disappointed that the June 22 event isnot happening now. I am still a littlebefuddled as to why it was called off.
But I can also understand Candices concerns with it supposed to be more geared towards the fairer gender without all of us 'Guys" showing up stealing their thunder.

Maybe we need to do a non-official O-C event near the capitol anyways. Just WI forum members without contacting media outlets, no banners, no nothing! just a very informal get-together.Anyone willing toschedule a date and time where a bunch of us could meet up near the center of town and do lunch someplace? I do not see any permits being needed. do they require permits for sightseeing tours or field trips?