• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yep. Another one of them polls.

09jisaac

I also don't think that the government should force same sex marriage "rights" on people either.

If I sell insurance to a married man and woman with certain benefits that is between them and I only, the government should not get involved. If I refuse (or allow) the same to a same sex couple then that should just be between them and I too.

Tawnos

I also don't think that the government should force same sex marriage "rights" on people either.

If I sell insurance to a married man and woman with certain benefits that is between them and I only, the government should not get involved. If I refuse (or allow) the same to a same sex couple then that should just be between them and I too.

That's a huge question that goes far beyond sexual identity. E.g. if a black man and a white woman, or vice versa, are married, should you be able to deny them whatever your "certain benefits" are?

Maybe, but that's outside the legal landscape of the status quo.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Since there are certain legal benefits enjoyed by people who have a marriage recognized by the government, I believe that those benefits should be available to anyone who chooses to commit their life to another person.

Think about this. Married people inherit each other's stuff. Married people make medical decisions about the other. Married people enjoy tax status. Married people cannot be forced to testify against each other. Married people have an easier time adopting a child.

Why should we, who fight for individual rights, want to exclude anyone from exercising their own rights, especially for religious reasons? The 1st gives us freedom of religion. It also gives everyone freedom FROM religion.

If you are against guns, then don't own one. If you are against free speech, then feel free to shut up. If you are against gay marriage, don't marry one.

09jisaac

Like I said, I think that NO couple should be regulated by the government (Man+woman, man+man, woman+woman, interracial, etc) as long as they are BOTH consenting adults. But I also think that as a business owner (selling insurance) I shouldn't be regulated by the government. As long as my dealings are honest, I don't care if they're fair.

I think, as I have said many times, the governments only job is to keep people from being victims. They shouldn't be the morality police, they shouldn't have anything to do with religion.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Tawnos is correct here... (Can't believe I agree) I could most certainly NOT choose to be a homosexual because it is repulsive to me. However, so are olives. Other's enjoy olives... so be it. You're an olivophobe? I'm calling my lawyer!!

Of course, this is not really the issue. Making the argument that someone is "wired" or "born" that way doesn't indicate a "right" or a "wrong". Some people are "wired" to be more susceptible to addictive drugs. Does this say anything about the morality of such actions?

The point here is that it is "belief system" dependent and the government should not be regulating preferences one way or the other.

Agreed, though I wouldn't vote for legalizing GM, I wouldn't go out of my way to vote against it if I had something better to do.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I voted "YES" to allow.
I figure once we get marriages for them to be legal, maybe we can work on allowing my people to freely marry according to our religion.

I'm almost afraid too ask...

But who are "your people", what is your religion and what laws prevent you from doing anything?

Aknazer

I think the government shouldn't be involved in marriage. All the government should care about is a "civil union" between two or more people (I also don't care about polygamy between consenting adults). As far as gays being able to get married, I don't agree with it because as far as I am aware the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman so for gays to get "married" you have to change the definition of marriage. And I'm against changing definitions of words simply because someone wants to. I mean should we change heterosexual to include gays because some people find the term homosexual as "offensive.". Really where would we draw the line in regards to changing definitions of words?

sudden valley gunner

Since there are certain legal benefits enjoyed by people who have a marriage recognized by the government, I believe that those benefits should be available to anyone who chooses to commit their life to another person.

Think about this. Married people inherit each other's stuff. Married people make medical decisions about the other. Married people enjoy tax status. Married people cannot be forced to testify against each other. Married people have an easier time adopting a child.

Why should we, who fight for individual rights, want to exclude anyone from exercising their own rights, especially for religious reasons? The 1st gives us freedom of religion. It also gives everyone freedom FROM religion.

If you are against guns, then don't own one. If you are against free speech, then feel free to shut up. If you are against gay marriage, don't marry one.

What if I choose not to get a state permission slip to live with my spouse? I want those same rights.
What if I never marry but have a close best friend my whole life, he should have those rights.
To me it's just easier to stop the state from having the power to "sanction" or approve of personal unions.

Beretta92FSLady

It is a preference. Humans have the ability to choose who they want to mate with. It is a fact that we choose what we truly want. I choose to be straight, others choose to be gay but lets call it what it really is, a choice. To the people that choose that lifestyle: Are you really saying that you didn't choose your partner that you had no choice in it? That sounds romantic, more like rape than love.

I am wondering (assuming you are a heterosexual male), then are you to say that although you are attracted to females, you could wake up tomorrow morning and just as easily want to hit the hay with another man? Then a little sexual hanky-panky between you and another man should not be a stretch of your heterosexual imagination, right?

Stanley

I am wondering (assuming you are a heterosexual male), then are you to say that although you are attracted to females, you could wake up tomorrow morning and just as easily want to hit the hay with another man? Then a little sexual hanky-panky between you and another man should not be a stretch of your heterosexual imagination, right?

I've always believed that people most vociferously opposed to a thing are so out of shame for their participation in that thing. :D

09jisaac

Your assumptions are correct, I am a heterosexual male. And indeed, if I decided that tomorrow to "hit the hay" with another man then I could.

I've always believed that people most vociferously opposed to a thing are so out of shame for their participation in that thing. :D

In this case you are completely wrong. I have never been married. I am not "vociferously" opposed to it either, I just don't think that the government has any business in it. One day I hope to be married, in the legal sense if need be.

Beretta92FSLady

Your assumptions are correct, I am a heterosexual male. And indeed, if I decided that tomorrow to "hit the hay" with another man then I could.

Maybe I should be more specific. If you are in fact heterosexual then I am sure that tomorrow morning you could not just wake up and not only decide to hit the hay with another man but enjoy every minute of it--or am I wrong about this?

If you are fine with admitting that your enjoyment of sex with a male or a female is a matter of choice then I must have been struck with some terrible ailment that has for the most part left me with a disinterest in males.

Last edited:

Daylen

...If you are fine with admitting that your enjoyment of sex with a male or a female is a matter of choice then I must have been struck with some terrible ailment that has for the most part left me with a disinterest in males.

Possibly, humans we well known for having chemical imbalances, and even faulty brain wiring, that induce abnormal, or even unhealthy behavior. Of course by the Federal constitution, that would be your own problem/choice and the matter should be completely outside its power.

09jisaac

Maybe I should be more specific. If you are in fact heterosexual then I am sure that tomorrow morning you could not just wake up and not only decide to hit the hay with another man but enjoy every minute of it--or am I wrong about this?

If you are fine with admitting that your enjoyment of sex with a male or a female is a matter of choice then I must have been struck with some terrible ailment that has for the most part left me with a disinterest in males.

You don't have to be more specific, you just have to read my answers as they are not just as highly specific. If I truly wanted to have sex with a man then I could enjoy it. But then I would go from being heterosexual.

It is a matter of choice, at least for me. I have had, on plenty of occasions, not been PHYSICALLY attracted to certain females until something else happened to spark my interest in them. Or I have been physically attracted to some that completely turned me off after new information. So, it seems that I do choose who I am attracted to. I just choose to be attracted to females.