• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave Hooters in Newport News

MSC 45ACP

imported post

bullseye, I know you're new to posting here so I won't get into it. Perhaps you should know your subject before making a snap judgement. Your observation wasn't even an "educated guess". You have no clue what this "Puddle Pirate' did for 22 years. Perhaps one should engage their brain before allowing their mouth (or fingers) run away from reasonable thought...

I DID observe the badges and uniform parts of the "soldiers" in the place. They were very young, wearing no combat badges and nearly shorn noggins. They were most likely students in a basic transportation school with less than a year on active duty... Probably fresh from boot camp.

Feel free to remove your feet from your mouth one at a timeif you'd like to converse further...;)

Jero1987

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
bullseye, I know you're new to posting here so I won't get into it. Perhaps you should know your subject before making a snap judgement. Your observation wasn't even an "educated guess". You have no clue what this "Puddle Pirate' did for 22 years. Perhaps one should engage their brain before allowing their mouth (or fingers) run away from reasonable thought...

I DID observe the badges and uniform parts of the "soldiers" in the place. They were very young, wearing no combat badges and nearly shorn noggins. They were most likely students in a basic transportation school with less than a year on active duty... Probably fresh from boot camp.

Feel free to remove your feet from your mouth one at a timeif you'd like to converse further...;)
This here folks is why I try to practice the dying art of respecting my elders. They have been beating on whipper snappers like me since I was in diapers.:lol:

ODA 226

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
TFred wrote:
You seem to be selectively ignoring the "with the intent to cheat or defraud" phrase. Absent proof to the contrary, we must assume that the customer entered the restaurant with the intent to order, eat, and pay for a nice dinner.
I think he is specifically attaching his comment to the "intent to cheat or defraud".

If the manager comes over and demands that you leave before you have eaten and, out of spite, you take a bite and then get up and leave without paying, you have intentionally acted.

That could not be misconstrued as an accident.

Now, if your food had already been in front of you and you had already begun eating when the manager approached and violated your rights, then the proper functional act to take would be to put down your utensils and food, collect your belongings and exit.

It is at the time that the manager communicates his disapproval that the common contract has been broken by the "innkeeper". Further act beyond that could constitute fraud.

Regardless, who wants to spend money somewhere that would prefer to disarm lawful citizens anyhow?
Wylde is absolutely correct! He gets an A+, a smiley face with a star and two snaps up in a circle!

MIKE WAS NEVER ASKED TO LEAVE THE ESTABLISHMENT! If he had begun to eat his meal and was THEN asked to leave, the management would have broken the common contract for the meal. If Mike had NOTaccepted the meal PRIOR to being asked to leave and upon being asked to leave grabbed food off of the server's tray OR the table and consumed a portion of it and left the establishment, he would be in violation of § 18.2-188 VA Code and would be subject to immediate arrest.

I've been twice involved in situations very similar to this once as a waiter and once as a Deputy Sheriff. In both cases the customer that ate and left without paying ended up being arrested and convicted.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
MIKE WAS NEVER ASKED TO LEAVE THE ESTABLISHMENT! If he had begun to eat his meal and was THEN asked to leave, the management would have broken the common contract for the meal. If Mike had NOTaccepted the meal PRIOR to being asked to leave and upon being asked to leave grabbed food off of the server's tray OR the table and consumed a portion of it and left the establishment, he would be in violation of § 18.2-188 VA Code and would be subject to immediate arrest.

I've been twice involved in situations very similar to this once as a waiter and once as a Deputy Sheriff. In both cases the customer that ate and left without paying ended up being arrested and convicted.
So you've not heard of the charge being applied when the manager kicks someone out in the middle of a meal?

jmb_nova

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

This here folks is why I try to practice the dying art of respecting my elders. They have been beating on whipper snappers like me since I was in diapers.:lol:

Could not have said it better myself!

And here I thought we were all brothers in arms. :cry: We all bleed the same you know.

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP: Thanks for the invite to converse. I’ve often looked forward to reading your postings and until this particular one found them balanced and informative. I’ve noted you do a great thing by often thanking Servicemembers (on this forum) for their service and for this I say “Thank You!”

What you did for 22 years isn’t germane to my original response since it only referenced the specific product of your mouth (or fingers) running away in the derogatory posting about the Soldiers. But, I find it odd that someone of your stated background would make the claims you did about these Soldiers with the level of evidence you now present: young, no combat patches, shorn noggins, likely students. That’s the basis for the determination they have communistic tendencies and perpetrated this incident? Imagine the furor on this forum if a LEO were to take action against an OC’er based on that manner of evidence.

I sense a bit of projection in your reply to me, as it’s probably not based in good old interservice ribbing, which is mostly what my original response was. To claim I made the snap judgment, un-educated guess, and should engage my brain is ludicrous; you should reread your actual comments about those Soldiers and the observed “facts” that led to your conclusions. Oh, and anyone who “knows their subject” knows that nearly all of the students on Fort Eustis, NOT “Useless”, are in Aviation, not Transportation. ;)

One ahh-sh@! hasn’t erased all your attaboys in my book, so I’m still looking forward to meeting ya at a future dinner and conversing on more appropriate topics! :celebrate

essayons

imported post

Bullseye, I think you misunderstand MSC 45ACP's remarks. As a fellow soldier, I saw them as a bit of tongue-in-cheek snark. All in more or less good-natured, inter service rivalry.

He is still, and always a Puddle Pirate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

essayons wrote:
Bullseye, I think you misunderstand MSC 45ACP's remarks. As a fellow soldier, I saw them as a bit of tongue-in-cheek snark. All in more or less good-natured, inter service rivalry.

He is still, and always a Puddle Pirate.
MSC 45ACP may be shallow water navy but quite capable of causing one to pipe their your boom if they don't stand up straight. :lol:

We do generally afford more latitude to those that have "been there and done that" than to those that have not. One earns one's stripes, sometimes the hard way, sometimes by putting in the requisite time. It is the same here. Might not always seem fair, but it works.

What is interesting in an unfortunate way is that the very thing the OP is criticized for doing is replied to in an intentionally egregious manner. That being said and forgotten, let's put away the boarding lines 'til a more worthy prize presents itself.

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

back to the ORIGINAL OP, I just got a response from Hooters. I'm pretty disappointed in their response. I guess we can be THANKFUL that some local places have allowed us to OC there...

Dear Mr. _________:

We at the Hooters Hotline received your comments today regarding our concealed weapons policy. Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. Guest feedback is always welcome at Hooters.

In areas where concealed weapons are allowed, we do post a sign that says firearms and other weapons are not permitted on the premises. Thankfully, it is a choice we have the freedom to make. We respect those customers who decide not to patronize our business because of this decision.

I never said a THING about concealed carry in my original letter. It was strictly about OCing.

We do hope that this information is helpful. However, if you would like more information about us, please visit us on the Web at www.hooters.com.

Thanks so much for writing, Mr. ______. We appreciate your interest and look forward to seeing you in one of our neighborhood restaurants soon.

Sincerely,

Dennis
Hooters Hotline...We give a Hoot!

P.S. Please retain your Thread ID in the message body. This will help us locate your information should you need us again.

Would anyone be interested in trying an OC dinner there soon and having another place as "backup" in the event they have the cojones to turn us away?

Just an idea...

msc

TFred

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
In areas where concealed weapons are allowed, we do post a sign that says firearms and other weapons are not permitted on the premises. Thankfully, it is a choice we have the freedom to make. We respect those customers who decide not to patronize our business because of this decision.
That would explain why there are no signs, Concealed Carry is not allowed in Virginia Hooters stores.

It appears that like many others, they have completely overlooked the fact that Open Carry is legal.

TFred

DocKen

imported post

If they don't like CC... what must they think of OC??

Wow... might have to add them to the "no-go" list. Would be a shame since everytime we hit a Norfolk City Council meeting, the one at Waterside makes out like bandits!

They've never said a word, didn't appear to have a problem, and have never seen a sign there saying otherwise.

Maybe all ofus that were at the Waterside Hooters should make copies of our receipts from that night, collect them altogether,and let them know that we wouldn't come back if that is a corporate policy.

Then again, corporate might beat them up for being a rogue store, and have them post and also enforce their policy.

What to do. :cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

It appears that they really don't give a hoot about the safety of their customers.

I'm sure the BGs will honor this policy. :?

H:shock::shock:TERS
has never been a problem before. Sorry to hear of this - its their loss though.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DocKen wrote:

Wow... might have to add them to the "no-go" list. Would be a shame since everytime we hit a Norfolk City Council meeting, the one at Waterside makes out like bandits!

They've never said a word, didn't appear to have a problem, and have never seen a sign there saying otherwise.

Maybe all ofus that were at the Waterside Hooters should make copies of our receipts from that night, collect them altogether,and let them know that we wouldn't come back if that is a corporate policy.

Then again, corporate might beat them up for being a rogue store, and have them post and also enforce their policy.

Simple.

Don't ask, don't tell. Business as usual. No problem.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

DocKen wrote:

A couple of the wait staff at the Waterside Hooters had pleasant things to say about all of us carrying after the Norfolk City Council meeting. Even had a good comment by another patron (she was already there as we were walking to our tables). She thanked us for carrying and making all the area much safer.

Of course, it helped that I hadtwo of my daughters with me.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
That would explain why there are no signs, Concealed Carry is not allowed in Virginia Hooters stores.

It appears that like many others, they have completely overlooked the fact that Open Carry is legal.

TFred

My guess is that they dont know that OC is legal and required in their establishment. By the way their memo is written, I see no reason why we can't continue to OC. It only says "In areas where concealed weapons are allowed, we do post a sign that says firearms and other weapons are not permitted on the premises.".

Obviously since CC is not allowed (legally), they dont post a sign. Since there isno sign posted, we must each assume that OC is fine unless notified.

45acpForMe

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Would anyone be interested in trying an OC dinner there soon and having another place as "backup" in the event they have the cojones to turn us away?
I am up forand OC dinner therebut:

1) it might just be "that" manager and forcing an issue may affect other VA managers.

2) it may cause them to post signs

I am thinking each of us writing a letter to coorporate stating our boycott may be better.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

e-mail sent:

I am following an article on the Internet about guns not being allowed in Hooters by citizens legally carrying them.

It seems a customer that was legally carrying a handgun was asked to leave a Hooters in Newport News, VA. He tried to explain the laws and circumstances of his carry but was told he was not welcome with his handgun on his side.

He wrote to Hooters corporate and they apparently replied with:

- - -
Dear Mr. _________:

We at the Hooters Hotline received your comments today regarding our concealed weapons policy. Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. Guest feedback is always welcome at Hooters.

We do hope that this information is helpful. However, if you would like more information about us, please visit us on the Web at http://www.hooters.com.

Thanks so much for writing, Mr. ______. We appreciate your interest and look forward to seeing you in one of our neighborhood restaurants soon.

Sincerely,

Dennis
Hooters Hotline...We give a Hoot!

P.S. Please retain your Thread ID in the message body. This will help us locate your information should you need us again.

- - -

I have been carrying for YEARS at the Chantilly, VA store as do many of my friends. That store is near a gun show and hundreds and hundreds of people go there (and by Virginia law, we must OPEN CARRY "holstered in plain sight"). Did Dennis accurately quote your policy all over Virginia or just for that one location? Please let me know and I will make sure you are put on the gun owner "unfriendly" list and won't spend any more money there.

Please let me know ASAP as the next gun show is only a few weeks away.

Thanks

Ed Levine
Chantilly, VA

P.S. No matter what your policy.. only law abiding citizens will follow your policy.. Criminals do whatever they want no matter what you say... Finally, if someone does eat at your place and you disarm them... will you provide protection (and liability) for their safe dining in your restaurant?