• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitsap County Open Carry Report

1245A Defender

well,,,

Im glad you and your friends had a good day in Belfair...
I could have given you directions to my shooting pit, 9 miles from town, 6 miles from my house.
Glad your new gun shoots fine.
I and my friend tested our new M1 Garands Thursday, they shoot fine, and recoil is light for 30-06.
My spare Star Modelo Super is a reliable shooter now with a new hammer spring.

Next time you see your friends, tell them I said Hi!

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I could have given you directions to my shooting pit, 9 miles from town, 6 miles from my house.
I and my friend tested our new M1 Garands Thursday, they shoot fine, and recoil is light for 30-06.

If I would of been planning ahead, I would of sent a PM and gotten a hold of you Bob. Next time....

fire suppressor

M1 Grands!? They are my FAVORITE gun of all time no contest, good choice :)

psbart

only really started actively OCing in the last couple of months, but I am often in Port Orchard for my errands and shopping. might see me around sometime jakk. not many women OCers, I should be easy to spot :D

sirpuma

Stopped by Hide Away Cafe this evening hoping to get a bite to eat with my boy. Was disappointed they were closed (just after 6pm). Ended up going to boogerking. OCed and no complaints. Earlier I was at the Sheriff's office to drop off a pistol transfer form. Chatted with another customer about my SERPA CQC holster. One deputy walked in and gave me a quick once over but said nothing. He was actually wearing a big wheel gun (possibly a 6" Smith didn't get a good look at it.) OCed at my bank (Kitsap Credit Union down by Hwy 16) not even so much as a sideways glance, in fact I actually got some speedy service since I only had a deposit with a check.

sirpuma

Took a trip out to Port Orchard and Belfair today. Many years ago you could shoot on all DNR/State Land and forests. Apparently that is not the case anymore, as Tahuya is a no target practice forest, but you can still hunt there...ugh!

Anyways, Deros, Squeak and I had lunch at Jimmy D's in Belfair and then did a little shooting at Squeaks place....my new Kel-Tec Sub 2000 shoots awesome!

Too bad I was at the office all day Saturday, would have loved to join you. I'm only a few houses down from his place, you know.

1911er

hide away

Untill A little later in the the year hours at the cafe are Sun. and Mon. 9-2 and Tue-Sat 9-3 and when he weather starts getting better the hours will expand. will post updates when I get them.

Last edited:

1911er

Port Orchard farmers market today will be going down with wife and my two four legged kids about 9:30 ish come check it out. The hours are from 9-3 on the waterfront east of the library

Last edited:

1911er

Farmers market

Saw Vitaeus and his lovely bride and children down at the farmers market. While there only had one guy give me A long stare. Then onto the pet store and Collelo's produce market and home again. Always good to see fellow OCers.

xxx.jakk.xxx

If any of you guys know any good places to go out and pop off a few rounds, feel free to send me a PM. I'm looking for areas within a reasonable distance from Port Orchard, either east or west. I don't shoot off enough at a time to justify spending a bunch of money for range time and I'd rather get more rounds than pay for the time to just shoot. Thanks in advance. =]

1245A Defender

Ok,,,,

I will tell all about MY pit...

Its in a clearing at the north east point of Mason Lake.
go to the intersection of mason lake drive west and east trails end road,
go west on west mason lake drive west for 100 feet or so.
turn right on a graval road, follow that road about 1 mile, stay left, go around a left curve, see the graval pile!
set your targets there and shoot pistolaro range,
drive further down the road for rifle shooting at those same targets up too 120 yards.

sirpuma and I shot together there on friday the 13th.
his M1 Garand, Ar-15, Ak 47, mp5 clone and beretta f92.
my Mauser, ak draco, yugo m57, cz-52, Two star modelo supers, grendel p12, tanfoglio gt380, p 38/01, and my raven 25 auto.

if any of you decide to go up for a shoot, i would welcome a heads up if you would like some company.
its a good deal for me as you drive past my house to get there.
you can stop for coffee or a beverage.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

Wow, that's right out there by where I used to live. Back in around '99 I was living on Mason Lake right by the Park. I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks =]

As for OCing.

Saturday April 21

Was heading to my car to go out to look around Boerners for used deals and the Maintenance guy for our duplexes was working on the neighbor's place and asked me "What kind of job do you have that lets you carry one of those?". I informed him that it's not job related and that OC was good in WA even without a permit. He told me that he knew that because he's a security guard. Not much else in that conversation.

At Boerners

Of course, no problems OCing for me. Only other people who were OCing there, though were the staff. It's amazing how even at a gun shop I never see OCers unless they're behind the counter. Oh, also, for anyone looking for a 12ga, they had 2 Mossie 500s that were pretty nice. One was just in the Tactical setup with the tri-rail pump, retractable stock, etc. The other was one with a Knoxx Wire Stock. Both are pretty low priced compared to what I normally see over there, probably since they're used.

DoubleJ

Living in Shelton and working in Bremerton, I have a need for the knowledge in this thread. Is there a similar thread for Mason County? I'd imagine it would be kind of redundant since most of Mason County is armed at any given time anyway

Vitaeus

Reminder: Night Out Against Crime" first Tuesday in August, I need to talk to the P.O. PAO, but we can have a table there according to the P.O. Chief of Police and the PAO from last year.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Took a trip out to Port Orchard and Belfair today. Many years ago you could shoot on all DNR/State Land and forests. Apparently that is not the case anymore, as Tahuya is a no target practice forest, but you can still hunt there...ugh!

Anyways, Deros, Squeak and I had lunch at Jimmy D's in Belfair and then did a little shooting at Squeaks place....my new Kel-Tec Sub 2000 shoots awesome!

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen or found anything suggesting that it's a no-shoot area.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEdu.../amr_south_puget_sound_region_rec.aspx#tahuya
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

I actually go shooting out there every now and then. Finding a place that follows the Rules is extremely difficult, but can be done and I haven't had any problem. I was scared sh**less one time while out shooting, but it never resulted in anything.

Actually a funny story so I might as well tell it. A buddy and I were shooting out west of the northern part of Elfendahl. We found a place that was miraculously more than 500 ft form trails and roads (i say miraculously because if you look at the map, it seems impossible with how they have the trails). After we fired off about 100 or so rounds each, we could hear a low thud noise, even with our ear pro on. So we stop shooting and start looking around and from over the trees a helicopter emerges. It does about 3 passes over us, getting lower each time. After the last pass, it just flies off into the distance and that was the end of it. Didn't any ground units or any more helicopters after that. We did decide to leave fairly soon after, though since we were both pretty shaken up. (probably dumb to feel shaken up after that, but it was pretty intense having a Helicopter focus on me.)

*edit*
Just reread the WAC regarding DNR shooting.

Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.

(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.

(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:

(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;

(ii) Residences;

(iii) Businesses;

(iv) Structures;

(v) Other areas as restricted;

(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.

It doesn't mention within 500 feet of trails or roads so I think I was being over cautious while out there. Oh well...

Last edited:

sirpuma

sirpuma and I shot together there on friday the 13th.
his M1 Garand, Ar-15, Ak 47, mp5 clone and beretta f92.
my Mauser, ak draco, yugo m57, cz-52, Two star modelo supers, grendel p12, tanfoglio gt380, p 38/01, and my raven 25 auto.

Yep, it was a good shooting day, even though we did have one weirdo show up wanting us to leave our brass for him. I collected some of my brass and left the rest. If he's going to come out and pick it up, he can have it. I have more than I can reload now anyway. Thanks for showing me the place.