• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search results

1. D

Thoughts on helping to normalize open carry

It's been a long while since I've posted anything, mainly since there isn't much day to day OC stuff to discuss in Houston, but with the current upswing in OC-related news, my thoughts turn to more actively helping the cause! So, the big thing of late has been long gun OC, obviously, since...
  2. D

Concealed Rifle in Car, etc.

I was reading §9.41.050, and it reads that only the concealed carrying of a pistol (gun with a barrel less than 16") is prohibited without a license, along with carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a license. Without checking the hunting regs yet, I'm guessing it's not kosher to have a...
  3. D

Open Carry in Texas - Fait Accompli

imported post Open Carry in Texas - Fait Accompli Traveling While I certainly think that unlicensed, constitutional OC/CC is the ultimate goal here in Texas, I don't think we should shirk from the exercise of what we already have on the books. I've been following the Florida OC Event thread...
  4. D

WTB - Schofield Revolver

imported post Time to just up and beg! I've been looking for a Schofield-style revolver for a couple years now with no luck; nothing at gun shows, local stores, or somewhat-nearby private sales. I know you can do a transfer to a local FFL, but I had a pretty awful experience, and that combined...
  5. D

Non-Eventful Moment

imported post EDIT - My post apparently got chewed up by the database error, so I'm reposting... The non-eventful moment was yesterday afternoon as I was walking my dog. I had gotten back from work and was still in a suit and tie, minus the jacket. I was openly carrying my 1911 while...
  6. D

Non-Eventful Moment

imported post
  7. D

CHP Holder Stops Robbery

imported post http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=deb8d417-008a-4e73-8386-1237c14d1376 Yet another reason why law abiding citizens shouldn't be allowed to carry in banks... if they're allowed to, they end up destroying stereotypes!
  8. D

VA Beach CHP Process

imported post So I dropped my CHP packet off with the clerk three days ago, and I've been thinking about an unusual lack of fingerprinting while I was there. VA Beach has a law about fingerprinting first-time applicants, which their website says will be either done at the time you drop your...
  9. D

Trip - Cross-Country OC Log

imported post With my wife and I having gotten married one week ago tomorrow, we're off moving to Virginia Beach already! I decided I'd OC as much as possible during the trip thanks to the forecast of nice weather, as well as a good number of varying states to get through via car. And with us...
  10. D

Pre-1987 Preemption

imported post With my fiancée and I moving to Norfolk/Virginia Beach now two weeks from today, I was looking over the VCDL website and saw a letter from the Loudoun city attorney which caught me by surprise. It makes mention of how laws passed prior to 1987 are/were considered to still be valid...
  11. D

LA TIMES INTERVIEW WITH THE COLORADO OC COMMUNITY

imported post I've been in touch with JPierce about the LA Times reporter doing interviews with the OC community, and it looks like we've been tapped! He's based in Denver and will be getting in touch with me in the next day or so. So, we need a show of support! As soon as I get details about...
  12. D

Trip out to Las Vegas

imported post My girlfriend and I have come to Las Vegas for the weekend/beginning of next week as an early Thanksgiving trip to see her family out there. Yesterday, we passed through Vail along I-70 as a bathroom break. Since I had never been to Vail before, I didn't realize that the town is...
  13. D

Winter Carry

imported post Now that winter is again coming upon us, I thought I'd spur on a thread about how we OC when coats and all that are a factor. It doesn't need to be a picture thread, but my girlfriend's recently new holster got me thinking about it: (Pardon the mess - we are grad students...
  14. D

Amazing Boulder PD Encounter

imported post Quick background - I happened to be carrying concealed during this, because it's cold for a Texan in Colorado this time of year, and a jacket is standard after sundown in October... A few minutes ago, as I was coming home from getting some dinner, I was driving down 30th St. and...
  15. D

Fall Festival / Oktoberfest in Boulder

imported post This weekend is Boulder's Fall Festival/Oktoberfest celebration down on the Pearl Street area of downtown. Our group's weekly get-together tends to be down there anyways, so this time around we eschewed our normal place for a table on the Boulder county courthouse's lawn, with me...
  16. D

Day Full of Interaction

imported post Some friends and I have been planning on hiking up in the mountains of Colorado for a while, so as our schedules came together we went west from Boulder about 30 miles into Eldorado Canyon, not terribly far from the Nederland area when you start getting into some of the tall...
  17. D

A Mess of OC Converts

imported post For the past three weekends, I and a number of fellow graduate students have gone up into the mountains for target practice and to blow off steam after the beginning-of-the-fall rush for TAing. Aside from me and my fiancée, there's been one other guy who has been shooting for a...
  18. D

Stabbing on the CU Boulder Campus Today

imported post This happened two buildings down from my grad student office at 9:30am today, here on the CU Boulder campus. Unfortunately, I was not on campus until my office hours at 1pm today and heard about it then... I'm kicking myself that I didn't go earlier and might have been able to...
  19. D

Idiocy of the Highest Caliber

imported post I don't know if this be the forum for something like this, but as it's something which damages the public's perception of shooters, it seems appropriate. My fiancée showed me these pictures of a friend's friend up in a section of unincorporated Utah County, Utah, during a recent...
  20. D

History of Colorado Firearm Law

imported post I loved reading the compilation of the history of carry and firearm laws in Georgia on Georgiacarry.org, and I was inspired to do some research over at CU's law library and compile my own attempt for Colorado. Now, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm unfamiliar with quoting references, and...