• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st time visitor to Illinois...have CC questions

jrz_dad

Hi folks...I will be visiting your state very soon. I wanted to CC while there so I started reading up on the CC laws...as such, I'm quite confused...

The Reciprocity Maps show that your state does not recognize my CC permit from Oklahoma, but when reading up on the laws - it says:

---------------------------------

Non-residents

A non-resident is permitted to possess a firearm without a FOID if it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, or if the nonresident is:

• Hunting and has a non-resident hunting license, while in an area where hunting is permitted.

• On a target range recognized by the Department of State Police.

• At a gun show recognized by the Department of State Police.

• Currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in his state of residence. 430 ILCS 65/2

-------------------------------------------

...Well, I am licensed in Oklahoma so help me out folks - which is it? can I CC there with my Oklahoma CC permit or not? If I can, how about some heads up on what I can or cannot do with my CC while visiting there? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!...Thanks!!

solus

jrz_dad, might peruse this IL SP site's brochure at: https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/transportyourfirearmlegally.pdf

to specifically address your query:

from brochure,
quote:
I have a friend/relative who has a “conceal and carry” permit issued in the state in which they reside. Is the permit recognized in Illinois?

No. Illinois does not recognize conceal and carry from any state.

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?

Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. Federal law does attempt to provide limited protection in these circumstances, but when transporting firearms in unfamiliar communities, it is a good idea to check with authorities on local law. unquote

jrz_dad, the side of an interstate, country road, etc., on a dark raining night is not the place to discuss the finer points of IL firearm statutes with the kind LE who stopped you w/an out-of-state plate who believes you will be a willing contributor to their county/state court's profit center!

A personal perspective, I normally make multiple road trips each year to the Evergreen state or other West coast destinations, (two this year already), carrying numerous handguns as well as limited amounts of SD ammo & extra full mags for them.

I stop in the last KY, IN or MO's border rest area and assure ALL handguns are unloaded (mags on a different level of the container, and locked securely in containers and those containers are placed so they are inaccessible from my passengers and myself.

My personal carry SD handgun is removed from my holster and locked in a safe.

It has gotten to the point i will not visit family in the Windy city's once middle class section which has fallen into disrepair and is full of strife and violent crime activity, as I am very very uncomfortable w/o my personal SD handgun readily available. Peace of mind, it is cheaper to bring them to the east coast if they wish to visit. (thank goodness we are estranged!)

While it is acknowledged you were seeking advice from IL folk, I hope this provides you insight to your query.

Last edited:

jrz_dad

Thanks ALL!!

That was some interesting reading for sure!!

As such, I think I will just lock it up while I am there...seems to be the safest course of action from the reading you provided me...

:D

solus

jzr_dad, assure your gun container(s) have 'three' point lock capability, e.g. lockable on opposite sides and one by the middle handle and they are locked w/key in obscure hidden location, e.g., not on your main key ring.

this precludes the nice LE from 'prying, torquing, etc." the container open to ascertain the contents.

otherwise, my understanding they need a search warrant to get inside of the container instead of saying they 'found them in a twisted, contorted state which showed their contents' and the nice LE only confiscated the container's contents was for their "personal safety!"

just saying!!

oh, forgot... enjoy your sojourn to Elgin as it is lovely weather to drive that route.

jrz_dad

jzr_dad, assure your gun container(s) have 'three' point lock capability, e.g. lockable on opposite sides and one by the middle handle and they are locked w/key in obscure hidden location, e.g., not on your main key ring.

this precludes the nice LE from 'prying, torquing, etc." the container open to ascertain the contents.

otherwise, my understanding they need a search warrant to get inside of the container instead of saying they 'found them in a twisted, contorted state which showed their contents' and the nice LE only confiscated the container's contents was for their "personal safety!"

just saying!!

oh, forgot... enjoy your sojourn to Elgin as it is lovely weather to drive that route.

Hmmm...had not considered that...what are your thoughts about using the metal 50cal ammo cans with locks on them? would that suffice or would it cause our nice LE to be concerned that there are "Locked Ammo cans" in the back of this vehicle?...maybe I just answered my own question...

solus

Hmmm...had not considered that...what are your thoughts about using the metal 50cal ammo cans with locks on them? would that suffice or would it cause our nice LE to be concerned that there are "Locked Ammo cans" in the back of this vehicle?...maybe I just answered my own question...

PM sent

poetdante

I am driving to Chicago to stay 2 nights. Traveling from KY through IN and I REALLY don't want to be going on that road unarmed. But, I'm a law student, this is for job interviews, and I'll go naked if I have to. But is there any chance to at least have guns/mags/ammo all separate in the trunk, disassembled even?

WalkingWolf

I am driving to Chicago to stay 2 nights. Traveling from KY through IN and I REALLY don't want to be going on that road unarmed. But, I'm a law student, this is for job interviews, and I'll go naked if I have to. But is there any chance to at least have guns/mags/ammo all separate in the trunk, disassembled even?

Unless laws have changed since I was a LEO in Illinois unloaded cased firearms in the trunk are legal without a FOID if one is from out of state.

solus

Poetdante, did you read post two? has cite as well as the quote of the cite!

Last edited:

poetdante

Poetdante, did you read post two? has cite as well as the quote of the cite!

I did. It does not address my question. I am not simply traveling through Chicago, I am staying 2 nights there. Can I even have a gun, unloaded and in the trunk, with ammo/mags separate?