• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Absolute Proof the DC Gun Control Ban Works

fairfax1

imported post

I'm just at a loss for words how this could happen, guns are iiiillleegggaaalll in DC. Didn't the criminals get the memo? :banghead:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/26/AR2007062600732_pf.html
[size="+2"]Deputy Mayor Robbed at Gunpoint[/size]
Deputy Mayor Robbed at Gunpoint

By Allison Klein and David Nakamura
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, June 27, 2007; B03

The man in charge of fixing the District's ailing schools might be more focused this week on another troubled aspect of the city -- public safety -- after he was robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight while walking home from the Metro.

Victor Reinoso, the deputy mayor for education, was walking in the 6800 block of Fifth Street NW at 7:25 p.m. Monday when he was held up by two men, police said. One man, wearing a pink shirt, pointed a black and silver handgun at Reinoso and demanded that he drop his briefcase, police said.

The second assailant picked up the briefcase and ordered, "Give me your cellphone," which Reinoso did, according to a police report. The men then told Reinoso to hand over his wallet, and he complied.

Reinoso, 38, was not hurt.

"He was pretty lucky," police Cmdr. Hilton Burton said, noting robberies can end in violence.

Police said the suspects ran toward Piney Branch Road. A witness who saw the mugging gave chase but lost them after about two blocks, according to the police report.

Officers canvassed the area, in the city's Takoma neighborhood, and found Reinoso's briefcase Monday night about eight blocks from where he was robbed. They did not find his cellphone or wallet, which contained his D.C. government ID card, credit cards and about $100.

Reinoso declined to comment on the robbery. He told police the robbers appeared to be teenagers.

Reinoso was chosen by Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) as one of the key figures in the administration's takeover of the 55,000-student school system. He heads a staff of about a dozen in the city's Education Department and helped recruit and hire Fenty's nominee for school chancellor, Michelle A. Rhee. Reinoso's confirmation hearing before the D.C. Council is scheduled for today.

He is the third high-level D.C. official to be the victim of a crime in recent weeks.

The purse of D.C. Council member Yvette M. Alexander (D-Ward 7) was snatched from her Range Rover while it was parked June 10 at a gas station at Pennsylvania and Branch avenues in Southeast Washington. That case remains open.

In May, a laptop belonging to D.C. Council member Kwame R. Brown (D-At Large) was stolen from the John A. Wilson Building during a meeting. A Hyattsville man was arrested in the crime.

Reinoso was still dealing with the fallout of the robbery yesterday morning when he arrived at the D.C. government building and was stopped by a security guard.

"Sir, I need to see some ID," the guard said.

"I don't have any identification," Reinoso replied. "I was held up at gunpoint last night."

The guard did not back down and waited for Reinoso to produce identification.

"I'm the deputy mayor," Reinoso pleaded. Then he pointed to a Washington Post reporter standing nearby and said, "She can vouch for me."

"Can you vouch for him?" the security guard asked.

"Yes," the reporter said, and Reinoso was able to enter the building.

Staff writer Nikita Stewart contributed to this report.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, that is really working out great for DC! I wish we had the same policies in Ohio! (Extreme sarcasm) If the criminals keep up this pace of holding up "important" people in DC, maybe they'll take care of all the criminals in congress and the White House, and we could start this whole government thing over again with some people that will do soon good. But that's just my 2 cents....

Edit:I just realized that all the important people will never have this problem; even the anti-gun people like Rosie O. Wasn't her bodyguards trying to get a concealed permit? Nothing like an anti-gun activists with gun totting bodyguards!

http://newsbusters.org/node/12120

blk

imported post

How dare those criminals! :quirky

We had a burgulary of a liberal judge's house in Memphis a couple of years ago and that judge is no longer letting criminals off with light sentences or just probation--they get to stay at the downtown glamour slammer! Maybe if enough of the city officials and policy makers in DC get robbed or mugged the gun laws will change.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

(Sarcasm):

What!?! No way! Guns are illegal in DC. Since gun bans work, leaving only police armed, it must have been police. Investigate the police!

vrwmiller

imported post

The extreme left will probably use this as justification that, yet, tighter gun control is necessary. Despite all of the logical arguments against such measures. Emotion will prevail.

I still think it's worth it to point out the irony to the DC officials. If not just to see their reaction.

unrequited

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yet another product of the DC schools??????

" "He was pretty lucky," police Cmdr. Hilton Burton said, noting robberies can end in violence."

Ya think? With a gun involved? Guess this police Cmdr got an A in logic, too.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Citizen wrote:
(Sarcasm):

What!?! No way! Guns are illegal in DC. Since gun bans work, leaving only police armed, it must have been police. Investigate the police!
ROTFLMAO...:lol:...:celebrate...:monkey