• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ankle holster for open carry

DreQo

State Researcher
...SECONDARY WEAPON. Period. The Ankle should never be used as the carry position of your only pistol.

One gun is better than no gun. I've ditched my primary sidearm and left my ankle BUG on more than once occasion, especially if I need to conceal quickly. Should I have ditched both?

As far as bugs always being concealed....always is kind of a silly word to use. Why not open carry a primary strong side and a BUG cross draw? Or just one on each hip if you're a good weak hand shooter? Why would your secondary, or BUG, ALWAYS have to be concealed?

None of this should make you think that I'm agreeing with the idea of OCing an ankle holster, though lol. It just really doesn't make sense. Retention would be a HUGE issue at that point...there'd be little you could do to stop someone from belly flopping at your feet, wrapping their arms around your legs, and removing your sidearm. At least when it's on your hip it's within the radius of your hands and, perhaps more importantly, your elbows.

Anyone please feel free to post a picture of shorts and an ankle holster, though lol.

Jack House

One gun is better than no gun. I've ditched my primary sidearm and left my ankle BUG on more than once occasion, especially if I need to conceal quickly. Should I have ditched both?
Not at all, if you don't have a choice or if it's the only way your are comfortable carrying in that situation, then go ahead. But it's better to have your primary/only weapon at your side than at your feet.

As far as bugs always being concealed....always is kind of a silly word to use. Why not open carry a primary strong side and a BUG cross draw? Or just one on each hip if you're a good weak hand shooter? Why would your secondary, or BUG, ALWAYS have to be concealed?
I just don't see the point in it.