• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Pizza Delivery Self Defense Story

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Online feedback form: http://www.papajohns.com/feedback/age_verification.shtm

The Papa John's in Lufkin, Texas fired an employee for defending his life from murderous robbers. Instead of commending him, Papa John's has fired him for violating the corporate weapons policy, which apparently requires licensed, background-checked, law-abiding gun owners to let themselves be murdered or seriously injured at the absolute mercy of criminals.

The right to self-defense is a basic human right, and if Papa John's continues to deny this in corporate policy, and this doubly-victimized employee does not get his job back by Dec. 11, law-abiding citizens will be forced to boycott your victim-disarming, pro-criminal safety establishment and delivery service.

Do the right thing.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

drjoker wrote:
UPDATE:

I called Papa John's again today. The guy on duty today did not give me the runaround. He answered my question. He said that the poor kid was fired for violating their weapons policy.

Ok so we have one woman employeesaying he quit and another male employee saying he was fired.

We need some concrete verification on this, I don't want to see Papa Johns lose business if the male is lying, though I don't want them to take our money if the woman was lying.

sent this to their feedback just now-

It has come to our attention your Lufkin store has fired an individual who defended himself while on delivery against a would be robber/murderer. I will no longer buy my pizza from your store here in Folsom California. This story will spread like wildfire between me and many others in my area and many many Pro 2nd Amendment websites/forums. Your Company is a disgrace to the Forefather's who founded this great nation. Your unconstitutional policy will cost you my business and many others.

drjoker

imported post

If you guys want ot verify if Papa Johns fired the delivery driver or not, it is very easy. Just call your local Papa Johns and ask what their corporate weapons policy is. Or just mention that you would like to apply for a job and that pizza delivery is dangerous so you're going to carry a licensed handgun and see what their response is. Their corporate policy is to fire you on the spot if you're caught with a a weapon, licensed or not. As a matter of fact, the guy I spoke with yelled at me and told me that he was not fired for defending his life. He was fired for a breach of contract for a contract that he had signed before he was hired. Yes, it is legal for them to fire the guy, but is it right? Is it moral to deny someone the human right to self-defense? Is it moral to force someone in this crap economy to choose between feeding his family or possibly dying on the job?

Another poster mentioned that this is an old news article. So what? Is there a statute of limitations on fighting injustice?

PLEASE WRITE LETTERS, NOT EMAIL. Email can be easily deleted and forgotten. A pile of letters stacked in front of John's office that he has to trip over to get to his office is NOT easily ignored.

Thank you.

P.S. How many of YOU carry on the job but DON'T tell your boss? Even if it is not in the employment contract to ban weapons, remember that your boss can just make up some B.S. reason to fire you. In some states, you may be fired for no reason at all. I invite you to realize that you are actually writing a letter for yourself because the next letter writing campaign that I'm posting here could be for YOU. So c'mon y'all! Let's write these letters!

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

drjoker wrote:
A pile of letters stacked in front of John's office that he has to trip over to get to his office is NOT easily ignored.
That's what office secretaries authorized to open and throw away your mail are for.

Mail his home address and then it shouldn't be filtered.

zack991

imported post

drjoker wrote:
Thank you.

P.S. How many of YOU carry on the job but DON'T tell your boss? Even if it is not in the employment contract to ban weapons, remember that your boss can just make up some B.S. reason to fire you. In some states, you may be fired for no reason at all. I invite you to realize that you are actually writing a letter for yourself because the next letter writing campaign that I'm posting here could be for YOU. So c'mon y'all! Let's write these letters!
I would be one of those people, Everyone knows I carry a loaded firearm in my car and no one says a thing to me, but they do not know the firearm I carry under my shirt 100% of the time. I can always get another job, I can not get another life only a after life.

This movie quote said it best.
FBI Director James Grace: You know, Westmoreland made all of us officers write our own obituaries during Tet, when we thought The Cong were gonna end it all right there. And, once we clued into the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees? I bring that lesson to this job. I act, knowing that someday this job will end, no matter what. You should do the same.

protector84

imported post

Nobody should be worried about "picketing without a permit." Regardless of any state or local law, you have the constitutional right to free speech as long as you aren't trespassing on private property, blocking the flow of traffic, or disturbing the peace with excessive noise. I'm in favor of a picket against Papa John's if this is their policy.

simmonsjoe

imported post

I conceal carry at work most of the time. I've also carried into military bases, post offices, school functions, places of religious worship, foreign trade zones, including ports. I've CC'd in public in all 48 lower states. That includes in the cities of chicago, new york city, and Los Angeles. I've carried on uncountable private properties posted NO GUNS.

I take my god given pre-existing right seriously, including the responsibilities it entails.

There is only ONE gun law.

2A

12 or 6?

Question: If someone CCing illegally at FORT HOOD stopped that madman before the police arrived, what would be the result?

can you prosecute a "hero?"

drjoker

imported post

Lots of people have posted and PM me because they doubted that Papa John's would fire someone for defending their life from thugs. All you have to do is type into google, "Lufkin Papa John" to get their phone number, but if you couldn't spare the energy to do so, their phone number is (936) 634-6611. Just call them and ask for yourself if the guy was fired. Please don't call them 20-30 times per hour during mealtime every day to block their telephone line so that they can't do any business. That's why I did not initially post their telephone number. I don't want Papa's lawyers knocking on my door. So, again, please don't call the Lufkin Papa John's to harass them. I'm only posting their phone number so that y'all will stop harassing me. BTW, most Papa Johns are franchised, so the owner of that Lufkin Papa John location did not have to follow corporate policy. You don't have to suddenly call Papa John's and give the franchise owner a piece of your mind.

tiphat.gif

P.S. I don't have a vendetta against Papa John. I actually LOVE their pizza. You know, Pizza Hut and Domino's both fired employees for defending their lives. However, I don't have any problems boycotting their pizza because their pizza sucks compared with Papa John's. The reason I'm trying my best to change Papa John's corporate policy is so that I can go back to eating their pizza. I don't want to boycott their pizza for too long! Politics is gettin' in the way of good eatin', dadgummit!

Alexcabbie

imported post

Framkly a list of pizza delivery places that do NOT prohibit drivers from carrying firearms. The reason is insurance requirments; and even such patently pro-2A concerns as C&E Shows (producers of the Dulles gun shows) are not immune; they have a "NO LOADED FIREARMS NO EXCEPTIONS" policy posted at the front door. If the NRA coulld help anyone in this regard, it would surely be C&E.

I used to deliver pizza for an outfit called the "Lost Dog Cafe and Gourmet Pizza Deli" and the owners never said a word about firearms or defense. However north Arlington Va is mostly very safe. They just opened a store on the south side, so sometime soon I'm gonna mosey over there and talk to Pam and Ross about what their experiences and policies are now; and what their insurance has to say, if anything, on the matter.

M

McX

imported post

There is nothing wrong with a society that rolls the Pizza Delivery guy?!!!!! Pizza Delivery guy is sacred in my neighborhood. Arm him to assure safe delivery!

simmonsjoe

imported post

But only if he's there in 30 or less. Otherwise no gun for you.

I was delivering pizza years ago. One of our drivers was beaten and pistol whipped really badly. He was in intensive care for weeks. I started carrying regularly after that. My boss knew. He was fine with it.
Two weeks later I fatally shot a kid during a robbery. I thought it was in a different
part of town than where the other driver got robbed. Later at the pizza shop I learned my boss had lied, and that the robbery had occurred in the SAME BLOCK. He knew and sent me anyways because he knew what would happen. I never spoke to him again. I later learned from a source the kid was supposed to kill a white guy for gang initiation. I have been intentionally vague on the details in order to protect that source.

Alexcabbie

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:

I was delivering pizza years ago. One of our drivers was beaten and pistol whipped really badly. He was in intensive care for weeks. I started carrying regularly after that. My boss knew. He was fine with it.
Two weeks later I fatally shot a kid during a robbery. I thought it was in a different
part of town than where the other driver got robbed. Later at the pizza shop I learned my boss had lied, and that the robbery had occurred in the SAME BLOCK. He knew and sent me anyways because he knew what would happen. I never spoke to him again. I later learned from a source the kid was supposed to kill a white guy for gang initiation. I have been intentionally vague on the details in order to protect that source.
WHY IN BLAZES DID YOUR BOSS DO THAT TO YOU? Was he trying to get you killed?? Even WITH a firearm there is STILL a chance you will come out the loser, ie;DEAD. I would have not only quit and never spoken to him again, I would have sued his ass off for reckless endangerment and maybe spoken with the Commonwealth Attorney about possible criminal charges. Who does he think you are? Uriah the Hittite? (Maybe you should check up on your wife). (BTW that was a Biblical ref for all you atheists out there).

Or did he send you out there to remove the threat? Either way, what a blowhole.

Packer fan

imported post

Uriah the Hittite? (Maybe you should check up on your wife). (BTW that was a Biblical ref for all you atheists out there).

Got it! But then again I'm not an atheist. LOL

Two jobs I never want to do: Police and Pizza Delivery someones waiting for the chance.

I do have to say that Papa John's is the best pizza in my town here in my town too. I would hat to have to boycott them but there is a new mom & pop pizza join that just opened so I may have to start going there. It's a few miles more but hey they deliver too, and after talking to them I don't think they would have a problem with their employees carrying since they are family.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:

WHY IN BLAZES DID YOUR BOSS DO THAT TO YOU? Was he trying to get you killed?? Even WITH a firearm there is STILL a chance you will come out the loser, ie;DEAD. I would have not only quit and never spoken to him again, I would have sued his ass off for reckless endangerment and maybe spoken with the Commonwealth Attorney about possible criminal charges. Who does he think you are? Uriah the Hittite? (Maybe you should check up on your wife). (BTW that was a Biblical ref for all you atheists out there).

Or did he send you out there to remove the threat? Either way, what a blowhole.
Ditto on the suit & charges.

Considering boss knew he carried, boss probably had huge confidence that Joe would take out the threat (for revenge considering he'd have to pay for the weeks in ICU, or to make it safe/send a message that they WILL be delivering there again), that it was effectively blind wetwork.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Charges? I don't think so.
The guy was a little crazy, but I generally liked him.
He really didn't believe I could be injured because
he was praying for me and it was righteous, therefor I was protected.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Charges? I don't think so.
The guy was a little crazy, but I generally liked him.
He really didn't believe I could be injured because
he was praying for me and it was righteous, therefor I was protected.
LOL the righteous religious-supported kill. Call the white coats.

okboomer

imported post

He chose to put your life at risk without you having any choice at all. Then he lied to get you to go into that particular neighborhood?

HE RISKED YOUR LIFE WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT!!! WAKE UP!!! It ain't funny, what if he does it to a kid that doesn't have the situational awareness you did, AND HE DIES? You can bet the family will be suing for blood in that case.

A lawsuit by you isn't about whether you like the guy or not. Sooo many people believe that, but it just isn't true. It's about righting a wrong. He was wrong to endanger your life without your consent. He needs to understand that. Have you talked to the local DA about him lying to you to get you to go into that neighborhood?

Dude, be the nice guy you are, but draw the line for your life and your safety! No one else will. Thank all higher powers that you are safe and survived physically unharmed.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Boy I wish there was an icon of a guy flubbing his lips. Parents of soldiers pray for their boys every day, and rightly so. And sometimes those prayers .... welll....

But you don't send anyone, armed or unarmed, into harm's way unless there is a damned good reason. and delivering a freaking pile of bread, tomato sauce and cheese doesn't cut it There may be serious, closely held and strenuous arguments about Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam. BUT A DAMNED PIZZA???:banghead:

M

McX

imported post

You know guys, our discussions here bring to light a growing problem for the service delivery sector. People like the letter carriers (no postal jokes please), the meter readers, the waste removal guys, they all move about our society, sometimes into areas that aren't the greatest, and their risk of "exposure" is higher than the average citizens. Perhapse we would find allies, and sympathizers for our OC cause amongst them!
As for the best pizzas, one of the few assets we have in our town is local Italian pizzas. In my opinion the best to be found anywhere. Containing the 3 main food groups: Meat, Grease, and Cheese. I often had it "imported" by visitors for me when I lived out of state. Pizza so good it would give you the "trots"- a true measure of pizza! Heh-heh.