• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assistance needed with OC/CC at gun shows

Bullbuster

While I have searched many times (forum search, advanced search and topic by topic) on here and can't find the info (I know its got to be on here) about the legality of carrying at a gun show. Hell froze over and I have tomorrow off and will be going to the gun show here in OKC. I've yet to be able to go to one as I work weekends.

If someone could assist me and point me in the right direction I'd be great full. I feel like an idiot for even asking as I should already know.

Glock 1st fan

Well your question is a bit complex but here is how I will put it. Many gun shows are often inside of government buildings. I went to one once inside of a city event center. So carrying in a normal circumstace would be forbidden. However since its a gun show where obviously firearms are welcome then you are able to carry in within those guidelines and thats for the purpose of the show.

Where it really becomes a headache though is Most if not every gun show I have ever been too obviously deals with thousands of people handling firearms continuously non stop for the duration of the show so in order to guarnatee the upmost safety (in the words of the show host) they simply forbid any loaded firearms in the building.

In 17 years of me doing my career path I learned a long time ago never put it past the one nut case to walk in and shoot someone to spoil it for every one. We all like to think an adult with a firearm is a responsible one but we all know there are some that just shouldnt own firearms LOL.

And no I am not anti firearm at all just shedding light on why gun shows choose to not permit any loaded firearms in their shows.

Bullbuster

I fully understand where you're coming from. When I was living in VA you could carry but they made you download at the door and they kept ammo and mag in a plastic bag with you name and info written on it until you left. You could then arm up again. Had a clearing barrel and everything.

I was regathering certain that no loaded carry would be the case but when in doubt ask.

Thanks for your 2 cents.

XDs

Having discussed this with a couple of show promoters, it boils down to insurance. No loaded firearms because of insurance requirements for the show.

jrz_dad

Well your question is a bit complex but here is how I will put it. Many gun shows are often inside of government buildings. I went to one once inside of a city event center. So carrying in a normal circumstace would be forbidden. However since its a gun show where obviously firearms are welcome then you are able to carry in within those guidelines and thats for the purpose of the show.

Where it really becomes a headache though is Most if not every gun show I have ever been too obviously deals with thousands of people handling firearms continuously non stop for the duration of the show so in order to guarnatee the upmost safety (in the words of the show host) they simply forbid any loaded firearms in the building.

In 17 years of me doing my career path I learned a long time ago never put it past the one nut case to walk in and shoot someone to spoil it for every one. We all like to think an adult with a firearm is a responsible one but we all know there are some that just shouldnt own firearms LOL.

And no I am not anti firearm at all just shedding light on why gun shows choose to not permit any loaded firearms in their shows.

I have to agree - it only takes one whacko to start something...HOWEVER, I carry all the time at gun shows (unloaded of course) and honestly, I feel rather SAFE there...it would really take someone with a huge set of stones to start something there or that whacko we spoke of and then I hate to think about the potential firefight that 'could occur' if everyone'got into the action'...talk about giving newsworthy 'ammo' to the anti-gunners out there!! Sheesh!...I recommend you unload, put the ammo in your pocket, check the weapon at the door for your 'stamp' and go enjoy the shows...just my 2 cents worth for today!!

Aknazer

Here are the rules when I carried to gun shows in OK.

1) The gun can't be loaded.
2) The gun must be visible at all times (no CC).
3) You can't buy ammo for any gun currently on your person. If you want to buy ammo for a gun with you then you must take the gun to the car and re-enter without the gun.

Personally I would just leave the mag and spare round (since I always carry in the +1 manner) in the car and take my EDC with me as I didn't feel like leaving the gun in my car. Only "issue" I ever had was having people constantly asking me if I was selling my XDm. Though you can get around this by having a booth remove the zip-tie and put one of theirs on. The door at the fairegrounds always used yellow while booths used white, so people would think that you just bought the gun if it had a white tie on it but would think you were trying to get rid of it with the original yellow tie on it.