• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham police draw down on Open Carrier

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Remind the Lt. that the first time can be a mistake. The second time, especially after having settled on a complaint for the same type of actions, can be construed as a pattern.

Yes it would. I am the third (3rd) time. Seems to have moved from "pattern" to "vendetta". Petty, is it not?

1245A Defender

well,,,

BPD contacted me by telephone today. I now have an appointment with LT Vandertyacht, wednesday the 29th. He offered to meet at a neutral location (don't laugh, it's a donut shop)

Well I guess it will really start when we sit down and start talking about it.

How do you feel about posting the Time and Location?

It just might be that other folks would like to enjoy a snack while they are
out and about during the coarse of their normal day to day activities.

sudden valley gunner

The idea the Lt did not want to meet at BPD is odd and makes one wonder if this is just an attempt to sweep it under the rug sort of speak, second have you or others opened carried at this donut shop where you are meeting? Never know they may not be open carry friendly? which would set the mood to less then favorable for you anyways.

They may very well be trying to sweep it under the rug, but they are underestimating the tenacity of OC'ers.

I have OC'd there and have not had a problem, it actually my late cousins favorite donut shop been there since we were kids, so we would meet there quite a bit. Even if I hadn't I wouldn't foresee a problem I OC everywhere. And I really don't think there would be a problem when there is a cop present already, but if they did express dislike, we would just move on to somewhere else. That is there prerogative.

amlevin

Yes it would. I am the third (3rd) time. Seems to have moved from "pattern" to "vendetta". Petty, is it not?

Document all three incidents and then file a complaint with the FBI.

Maybe Bellingham can get a visit from DOJ, just like Seattle.

Would also make for a nice news story "Bellingham PD Has Pattern of Abusing Citizens Rights". That would be just like shining a flashlight on cockroaches.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Document all three incidents and then file a complaint with the FBI.

Maybe Bellingham can get a visit from DOJ, just like Seattle.

Would also make for a nice news story "Bellingham PD Has Pattern of Abusing Citizens Rights". That would be just like shining a flashlight on cockroaches.

All three are on record.
Seattle is weaseling out of it by passing law that excludes them from being forced to fix the problem.
No press until after I meet with PD.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
First meeting with BPD seemed to go well. This was to be an informal meeting to feel me out, to see what kind of person I am. We discussed OC extensively and SVG and I both offered to assist in BPDs OC training which, according to the Chief, has not yet been conducted. LT Vanderyacht appeared to be a stand up guy and he took a great deal of notes regarding case law.
Lt Vanderyacht will interview the two witnesses, and report to the Chief. I am supposed to be contacted again by the end of next week.
Yes, the interview was recorded.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
First meeting with BPD seemed to go well. This was to be an informal meeting to feel me out, to see what kind of person I am. We discussed OC extensively and SVG and I both offered to assist in BPDs OC training which, according to the Chief, has not yet been conducted. LT Vanderyacht appeared to be a stand up guy and he took a great deal of notes regarding case law.
Lt Vanderyacht will interview the two witnesses, and report to the Chief. I am supposed to be contacted again by the end of next week.
Yes, the interview was recorded.

Glad it seemed to go good for you.

sudden valley gunner

Lt. Vanderyacht was a few years older than me not by much and remembers a different Bellingham. He also like me remembers seeing OC in the past in our county. And expressed the belief it was a civil right that shouldn't be hindered.

He did seem genuinely concerned and wrote down several points we brought out. We even spent some time in casual discussion of other topics as well. He seemed more willing to offer up info than the "political" side of the department was.

And of course we OC'd and it didn't phase him, he had some questions for us too , on some of the misconceptions of the dangers of "openly carrying". Easily dismissed and he looked like he genuinely accepted our replies to that.

sudden valley gunner

Did he try to tell you that you would get shot first?

His thoughts were that downtown, Friday night, crowded, rowdy drunk people an open weapon may be an invitation for trouble...

I said "Yet your officers open carry at those time?" I could see the "oh didn't think of that" look on his face, and he said "very true".

Then we talked about even in inebriated states people still choose easy targets and have a sense of self preservation. And how the lack of statistics of that not happening is a form of proof in itself that it just doesn't happen that way. And there have been states like Virginia with a long history of OC to look at for statistics.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
His thoughts were that downtown, Friday night, crowded, rowdy drunk people an open weapon may be an invitation for trouble...

I said "Yet your officers open carry at those time?" I could see the "oh didn't think of that" look on his face, and he said "very true".

Then we talked about even in inebriated states people still choose easy targets and have a sense of self preservation. And how the lack of statistics of that not happening is a form of proof in itself that it just doesn't happen that way. And there have been states like Virginia with a long history of OC to look at for statistics.

Sounds like a productive meeting - opening up such lines of communication is good.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Update...Update....Update..

Well it has been in excess of thirty days since the meeting with BPD and last contact by phone was five weeks. I, with help from SVG, have gathered a good base of information for civil suit/ prosecution. I really did not expect to get ignored, but I have a limited amount of time to bring suit against the parties involved. Without input from BPD, or an indication of BPDs intent, my action must go forward. After connection with the atty, I/we will contact media for an all out assault on BPDs misuse of power/authority.