• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blind Man Says Utah Gun Permit Does Not Make Him Dangerous

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It would seem to me that the real issue here is not how good is he with the weapon, but how good is he at being blind. Blind people play baseball. Thats right baseball. They hit they field and they throw to each other. How? There is a beeper in the ball. With practice they learn where the ball is and how fast it is going and act accordingly.

So in the instant case the question is, how good is this particular guy at being blind. In states that have a requirement that only the sighted can obtain a permit, he is out of luck. Absent such a restriction, if it is a shall issue state, and he successfully completes all the requirements he MUST be issued the permit.

The fact is that if he is good at operating in the world with his condition, he may be a better marksman than a lot of sighted people. IF you remove shooting from the equation, he is no different then anyone else on all of the rest of the issues.

While a lot of us here might see this as a case that can be used against us in the legislature, that is not really the case in gross terms. I am certain that some kind of vision test will surface as a requirement to obtain a permit as a result of this case. Some of us will rail at this as a violation of our right to bear arms, but in fact in open carry states it is only restriction on a particular type of carry. You can still bear arms, you just can't conceal them with out the permit. People seem to get very confused on this very simple concept all the time.

I agree that this guy would not be my first choice as an example of appropriate granting of CHPs, but I would quickly add he has rights, and it would appear that those rights have been violated in this case. A small change in the law will change that for him, and impose additional restriction on everyone else. That is where my objection comes up. All too often the legislature passes laws with sweeping impacts to solve a perceived problem with a single person.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Well, as I said earlier, it depends on how much vision the "blind" person has. Vision is related directly to performance, and indirectly tolack of vision. Depends how you do the model.

I just don't like the notion of really blind people toting or using a gun. That's insanity.

But I don't want to propose denying a person's 2A rights either. A dilemma.

Seems like there must be a way to deal with both horns of the dilemma.

I think that supplying armed attendants for really blind and other completely disabled folks would solve the dilemma.

There have got to be a few million completely disabled Americans out there--people who, through no fault of their own, cannot aim or handle a gun. Are these people to be left undefended and unable to avail themselves of their 2A rights? Does a quadriplegic not still have a right to defend himself?

We are all fortunate here. We have reasonably operational eyes, limbs and fingers. Not everyone is as fortunate as we.

McWilliams is probably incompetent to handle a gun by most reasonable measures, but he sounds like he can probaby defend himself to some bare degree, I'm guessing. He sounds like he has enough snap to do something really stupid. Although, because he has been outed, he may actually be in more danger than ever before. Those are the breaks.

But what about all those millions of other disabled folks? Do we just throw them under the bus? Do we deny themtheir 2A rights simply because we got ours?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I keep seeing the word "imcompentant" thrown around in this discussion. The fact is that while blindness may constitute a disability in firing a weapon accurately, it does not make a person "incompetent". Incompetence contains a mental component which does not apparently apply in this case.

The Virginia Tech shooter was incompetent, and I do not believe anyone could argue that in any way affected his USE of a firearm beyond using it inappropriately. He could clearly shoot, and did so with some accuracy and tragic effect.

No in this case the individual has a disability, and it is not totally disabling. Even if he is totally blind (as implied by the story), he is still apparently in full possession of his mental faculties, and able to determine when it might be appropriate to defend himself.

The government sponsored program of supplying a guard as it were, is an unreasonable answer. On what grounds does the taxpayer suddenly have a responsibility to supply a personal bodyguard to anyone? While I would agree that compassion has a role in the protection and defense of disabled individuals, our society is structured such that people supply these services through other than public means, unless the person is indigent.

In this case there is no evidence that the person cannot afford to pay for a guard if he wants one, but he has decided he is able to take care of himself. Are you proposing the the government should supply a speaker for the mute, or stand-ins for the sterile (procreation is a fundamental right too)?

No. the fact is that this man has rights, and has chosen to use them. It does not matter if you or I think it is wise, or even appropriate, we don't get to make that determination. Only through due process can his rights be modified or removed from him. That is precisely what is happening right now.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

"Hawkflyer wrote:
The government sponsored program of supplying a guard as it were, is an unreasonable answer. On what grounds does the taxpayer suddenly have a responsibility to supply a personal bodyguard to anyone? While I would agree that compassion has a role in the protection and defense of disabled individuals, our society is structured such that people supply these services through other than public means, unless the person is indigent.

In this case there is no evidence that the person cannot afford to pay for a guard if he wants one, but he has decided he is able to take care of himself.
It is not an unreasonable answer. Unless you're putting a price on the protection of the 2nd Amendment. Which you are obviously doing.

I put no price on thewhether to afford Americans the benefit of the 2nd Amendment rights. I think it is probably unethical to do so.

Hawkflyer wrote:
No. the fact is that this man has rights, and has chosen to use them. It does not matter if you or I think it is wise, or even appropriate, we don't get to make that determination. Only through due process can his rights be modified or removed from him. That is precisely what is happening right now.

Disregarding the McWilliams case, what about the millions of OTHER disabled people who do not have enough ability to do what he has done? Those MILLIONS of people are not getting the benefit of using their 2A rights. The government, and all of us, should support that fully.

The fact is that MILLIONS of people are being denied their right to carry/self-defend simply because they are unfortunate enough to be disabled. And the government of the people shouldcorrect that situation. I would think that all pro gun/rights advocates would agree.

I do.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
...SNIP

The fact is that MILLIONS of people are being denied their right to carry/self-defend simply because they are unfortunate enough to be disabled. And the government of the people should correct that situation.  I would think that all pro gun/rights advocates would agree.

I do.

I do not accept the words you have tried to jam down my throat, or the meaning you have attempted to extend to the ones I chose.

I also do not accept your premise that anyone is being denied their rights because of disability. They are unable to exercise certain rights by virtue of a disability. That is a far cry from being denied anything by anyone.

Please show me the part of the constitution that says that the government has the authority to fund or even see to it that citizens be provided the MEANS to exercise ANY of the rights that the constitution guarantees. In fact please show me the part that does not specifically limit the government from interference in any way in the private exercise of those rights.

Even with the most twisted reading of the interstate commerce clause you still cannot get to anyplace that allows the government to proactively assist individuals in this regard.

What you suggest would allow the government to to determine the methods by which people use their rights based on a GOVERNMENT assessment of their ability or disability. I do not want the government to even come close to assuming that role in my life or anyones else. The government is specifically prohibited from interference in the exercise of these rights by competent individuals, and that includes implementing programs as you suggest.

Besides, you are overstating the issue here. This guy can still own, and carry a firearm. In 30 or more states he can conceal it. He has been denied a Utah permit to conceal, but with reciprocity he can still conceal in Utah. So please explain how he is unable to keep and bear arms. While it may offend your sensibilities that a person with his particular disability legally can do this, it does not offend mine. It is in fact a program such as you suggest that would deny this man his rights, by forcing him to accept YOUR gun bearer.

Based on your theory the government should assume all responsibility for all citizens with disabilities. What if a person is adjudicated as insane, should the government supply that person a sane partner to carry his gun for him? That is the logical extension of what you propose.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
HankT wrote:
...SNIP

The fact is that MILLIONS of people are being denied their right to carry/self-defend simply because they are unfortunate enough to be disabled. And the government of the people shouldcorrect that situation. I would think that all pro gun/rights advocates would agree.

I do.

I do not accept the words you have tried to jam down my throat, or the meaning you have attempted to extend to the ones I chose.

I also do not accept your premise that anyone is being denied their rights because of disability. They are unable to exercise certain rights by virtue of a disability. That is a far cry from being denied anything by anyone.

Please show me the part of the constitution that says that the government has the authority to fund or even see to it that citizens be provided the MEANS to exercise ANY of the rights that the constitution guarantees. In fact please show me the part that does not specifically limit the government from interference in any way in the private exercise of those rights.

Even with the most twisted reading of the interstate commerce clause you still cannot get to anyplace that allows the government to proactively assist individuals in this regard.

What you suggest would allow the government to to determine the methods by which people use their rights based on a GOVERNMENT assessment of their ability or disability. I do not want the government to even come close to assuming that role in my life or anyones else. The government is specifically prohibited from interference in the exercise of these rights by competent individuals, and that includes implementing programs as you suggest.

Besides, you are overstating the issue here. This guy can still own, and carry a firearm. In 30 or more states he can conceal it. He has been denied a Utah permit to conceal, but with reciprocity he can still conceal in Utah. So please explain how he is unable to keep and bear arms. While it may offend your sensibilities that a person with his particular disability legally can do this, it does not offend mine. It is in fact a program such as you suggest that would deny this man his rights, by forcing him to accept YOUR gun bearer.
As I stated above a couple of times, the McWilliams situation is different from the situation for all disabled Americans. The context is different.

For the MILLIONS of disabled people who cannot do what he has done, some consideration and support is definitely in order.

I would think the Americans With Disabilities Act could be the model upon which to base a, say, Self-Defense for Americans With Disabilities Act which would provide protections and impose required services and allowances for qualified citizens.

A few extra dollars for each of us Americans who are blessed with the physical capacities to actively and physically use firearms under 2A would be a small price to pay to assure that qualified disabled folks are protected to some reasonable degree.

Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean 2A does not apply to them. It's a God given right.

I don't extend this proposition to anything else. If you wish to use a slippery slope argument, then we could apply that to the McWilliams case too. Let's skip the always quicksand-ish slippery slope deal. Pure slippery slope arguments are almost always fatuous.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
It would seem to me that the real issue here is not how good is he with the weapon, but how good is he at being blind. Blind people play baseball. Thats right baseball. They hit they field and they throw to each other. How? There is a beeper in the ball. With practice they learn where the ball is and how fast it is going and act accordingly.

I knew blind people can play baseball, but the worst that could happen is someone gets a bump on their head if they screw up.

If you screw up with a firearm, it could be much worse....

Not saying it should or should not be issued, but sounds like it could be a liability

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The most important reason I can think of for supporting the blind getting CHPs, after it being his right, is that there is a non zero chance that I or anyone here could end up blind. I believe it is possible to carry safely with that handicap, and if neccessary defend oneself.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:

I knew blind people can play baseball, but the worst that could happen is someone gets a bump on their head if they screw up.

Not saying it should or should not be issued, but sounds like it could be a liability

Blind people don't really play baseball. They play a version of baseball. The original game is modified to accomodate their participation.

Such adaptation of the normal game is sociable, warranted, productive and fun.

This contrasts with the reality of the big bad world out there with bad guys in it that must, on occasion, be dealt with using deadly force. That hard reality does no accomodating for blind gun toters. It's simply not feasible to change reality.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
HankT wrote:
...SNIP

The fact is that MILLIONS of people are being denied their right to carry/self-defend simply because they are unfortunate enough to be disabled. And the government of the people should correct that situation.  I would think that all pro gun/rights advocates would agree.

I do.

As I stated above a couple of times, the McWilliams situation is different from the situation for all disabled Americans. The context is different.

For the MILLIONS of disabled people who cannot do what he has done, some consideration and support is definitely in order.

I would think the Americans With Disabilities Act could be the model upon which to base a, say, Self-Defense for Americans With Disabilities Act which would provide protections and impose required services and allowances for qualified citizens.

A few extra dollars for each of us  Americans who are blessed with the physical capacities to actively and physically use firearms under 2A would be a small price to pay to assure that qualified disabled folks are protected to some reasonable degree.

Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean 2A does not apply to them. It's a God given right.

I don't extend this proposition to anything else. If you wish to use a slippery slope argument, then we could apply that to the McWilliams case too.  Let's skip the always quicksand-ish slippery slope deal.  Pure slippery slope arguments are almost always fatuous.

Look, you seem to see a problem where non exists. There is no disability that I can imagine that would prevent a person from owning or even carrying a firearm for whatever reason. The fact that a person cannot physically pick it up and fire it does not prevent ownership or having it laying on the bed or in the chair next to them. I cannot think of many paraplegics who do not have an assistant. they seem to die from starvation just when they start to truely separate from their caretakers. If they want their assistant to carry a gun, then all they need do is give them one. They do not need a government employee for that purpose. There is simply no need for a program such as you propose to force people to exercise any of their rights in any way other than the way they want.

By the way, it is already settled law the while people have a right to self defense, the government has NO responsibility to specifically protect ANY individual. So the basis for your program does not exist in law, and has specifically been excluded from consideration by the supreme court.

Somehow you feel that we need to establish a tax on being able-bodied. I ask again, what part of the constitution says people can be taxed for being able-bodied? If I subsequently become disabled do I still have to pay the tax?

Now since you insist on discussions of logical argument techniques, I would point out that at one point in this discussion you said -

Your use of the "nobody's perfect at shooting" notion does not seem to apply here. You are comparing a general truth to a specific case. That logic would lead to some pretty absurd results. The "nobody's perfect at shooting" argument is a straw man.

In fact an argument from the general to the specific is logically sound, it is the inverse that leads to unusual results. In fact that argument does apply here. You want to remove this mans ability to use his rights because you believe he is dangerous. You are making a gratuitous assumption that most of the rest of us do not accept, based on YOUR view of what blind people are capable of. By the way, he is only dangerous if you assume he cannot hit what he wants to shoot at. Ergo he would not be perfect at shooting. So in fact he does fit the general premise supplied.

Moreover, NO ONE has ever hit PRECISELY what they wanted to hit with any firearm in history. People hit things "close enough" to obtain a desired result, no better. Try it your self, Put two bullets through the same hole. You can come close enough for satisfaction, but it will never be precise. There is no human alive that can do this and do it reliably. This translate into gross terms and is highly dependant on individual ability. Individual ability is what you fail to grant Mr. McWilliams.

You lean on the Americans with Disabilities act for support, when in fact that law is of doubtful constitutionality, and does not in any way do what you suggest. It is designed to prevent and remove government and private sector CREATED obstructions to peoples access to places they have a right to go. It requires a REASONABLE accommodation, not SUPPLY OF THE MEANS and it says nothing about self defense.

What the preponderance of people here are suggesting is that this man has rights which are being violated by overreaching government officials. What you are suggesting is that YOU want to be that official and determine what rights disabled people should be ALLOWED to exercise independently, and YOU want to decide the means by which they will be allowed to do so.

The fact is that there is no double horned issue here. The only issue is did the government have the right to deny this man a permit based on the law. It is very clear that they did not. It is equally clear that any other view would strip this man of his rights. It does not matter weather his exercise of his right offends you, any more than it matters when someone objects to your carry of an unconcealed handgun. By your thinking a blid person would not be able to exclude you gun from his home because he cannot see it. Maybe he just doesn't like the smell of gun oil and leather.

I have said from the beginning that this guys situation is not really good for our side of the CHP debate for obvious reasons. There is no question the anti-rights people are going to have a field day. But I will fight and die for this guys rights even if I personally do not think what he is doing is a good idea if it is within the law. Unfortunately for him there is no constitutional amendment prohibiting you and others from paternally trying to initiate an unconstitutional program that would infringe his rights, and tax me to do it. Congress is full of people that hold precisly that same view.

Regards

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
The most important reason I can think of for supporting the blind getting CHPs, after it being his right, is that there is a non zero chance that I or anyone here could end up blind.  I believe it is possible to carry safely with that handicap, and if neccessary defend oneself.

+1
Thank you

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
openryan wrote:

Blind people don't really play baseball. They play a version of baseball. The original game is modified to accomodate their participation.

You are wrong on this one too. The game is identical. The only difference is that ball and the bases contain beepers. Everything else is the same. On occasion the sighted play in the same game.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I have said from the beginning that this guys situation is not really good for our side of the CHP debate for obvious reasons. There is no question the anti-rights people are going to have a field day. But I will fight and die for this guys rights even if I personally do not think what he is doing is a good idea if it is within the law. Unfortunately for him there is no constitutional amendment prohibiting you and others from paternally trying to initiate an unconstitutional program that would infringe his rights, and tax me to do it. Congress is full of people that hold precisly that same view.

I do not propose to change anything for McWilliams.I have no standing to take away his RKBA no matter how egregiously bad his judgement is. Straw man. Again.

I propose to provide support and assistance for the self-defense of people less fortunate than he. And us.

This country currently provides trillions of dollars in benefits, supplements, incentives, free-lunches, supports, etc. for our states, cities, municipalities, and citizens for various reasons, some of them pretty slim in justification. Helping disabled people get the benefits and rights of the 2nd Amendment would just be one more basis upon which to do that. Maybe cut something else out, if necessary.

Wecan afford a few billion to extend the 2A to people who cannot do so by reason of being disabled--not a condition of their own choice. The drafters of the consititution didn't exclude completely disabled Americans from the 2nd Amendment. Therefore, I won't either.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
HankT wrote:

The game is identical. The only difference is that ball and the bases contain beepers....

Ah. This is obviously some strange meaning of the word "identical" that I wasn't previously aware of.

In any event, there are numerous other differences, of course.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
I have said from the beginning that this guys situation is not really good for our side of the CHP debate for obvious reasons. There is no question the anti-rights people are going to have a field day. But I will fight and die for this guys rights even if I personally do not think what he is doing is a good idea if it is within the law. Unfortunately for him there is no constitutional amendment prohibiting you and others from paternally trying to initiate an unconstitutional program that would infringe his rights, and tax me to do it. Congress is full of people that hold precisely that same view.

I do not propose to change anything for McWilliams. I have no standing to take away his RKBA no matter how egregiously bad his judgement is. Straw man. Again.

I propose to provide support and assistance for the self-defense of  people less fortunate than he. And  us.

This country currently provides trillions of dollars in benefits, supplements, incentives, free-lunches, supports, etc. for our states, cities, municipalities, and citizens for various reasons, some of them pretty slim in justification. Helping disabled people get the benefits and rights of the 2nd Amendment would just be one more basis upon which to do that. Maybe cut something else out, if necessary.

We can afford a few billion to extend the 2A to people who cannot do so by reason  of being disabled--not a condition of their own choice. The drafters of the consititution didn't exclude completely disabled Americans from the 2nd Amendment. Therefore, I won't either.

Actually I see you are now moving the cutoff line. The entire discussion was premised on McWilliams and your view that he was "incompetent".

Now you claim only those LESS fortunate than he would fall into your cartakership. It is not I that failed to recognize his second amendment rights. It is not I that proposes taking his gun and replacing it with a government guard.

In my view Mr McWilliams is the only person who can or should make this decision. Based on this discussion you seem to propose that McWilliams would not be allowed to own or carry a firearm because once you assigned your guard he would not need one and it would be dangerous for him to have one. I can only imagine what he would think of your idea.

In fact your entire idea is based on first disenfranchising people you deem to be disabled, of their right to decide for themselves how they will conduct this part of their life, and replacing it with a government program.

It is in fact you sir that refuse to acknowledge and respect that these people have rights. Not those of us that would allow these matters to be handled by these individuals without government interference. We already have a protection program for the disabled, it is called the Police. If he needs more protection he can move closer to the department house or hire his own security guard. He has elected to take responsibility for his own life and defense, and I say MORE POWER TO HIM.

So far you have failed to show a single constitutional argument in support of such a program. You refuse to answer any of the questions presented to you. You cite that these people have rights. But you fail to recognize the fullness of those rights. Among them is the right to exercise their rights without interference from you or any government program, that will ration their self defense.

I see the government as restricted in what it is allowed to do. You are suggesting a government set free of its shackles in a marxist style redistribution of the resources of others to support an unconstitutional program, of dubious value, and even more dubious legality, that in fact must inherently strip people of their rights before it can act.

You have succeeded in convincing me of your lack of respect for the rights of the disabled to take control of their lives and destiny and run them as they see fit. You have also convinced me that you see no limits to what the government should be allowed to do because the ends SEEM to justify the means.

I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree.

Regards

Legba

imported post

"Please show me the part of the constitution that says that the government has the authority to fund or even see to it that citizens be provided the MEANS to exercise ANY of the rights that the constitution guarantees. In fact please show me the part that does not specifically limit the government from interference in any way in the private exercise of those rights.

Even with the most twisted reading of the interstate commerce clause you still cannot get to anyplace that allows the government to proactively assist individuals in this regard."

-----

(I didn't want to waste space quoting the entire text of the previous post, but please read above if you think I've decontextualized this unfairly). The 6th amendment provides for the "effective assitance of counsel," which has been construed to mean that the government does, in fact, have a duty to provide (and pay) for defense attorneys for the indigent in criminal cases. Anyway, I thought it worthwhile to offer an example of where this authority exists.

-ljp

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Legba wrote:
"Please show me the part of the constitution that says that the government has the authority to fund or even see to it that citizens be provided the MEANS to exercise ANY of the rights that the constitution guarantees. In fact please show me the part that does not specifically limit the government from interference in any way in the private exercise of those rights.

Even with the most twisted reading of the interstate commerce clause you still cannot get to anyplace that allows the government to proactively assist individuals in this regard."

-----

(I didn't want to waste space quoting the entire text of the previous post, but please read above if you think I've decontextualized this unfairly).  The 6th amendment provides for the "effective assitance of counsel," which has been construed to mean that the government does, in fact, have a duty to provide (and pay) for defense attorneys for the indigent in criminal cases.  Anyway, I thought it worthwhile to offer an example of where this authority exists.

-ljp

You would be correct that the 6th amendment has such a provision. And it would be possible to twist the meaning such that it might extend to the topic at hand. This of course would have to be based on economic disability, not physical disability. Of course this provision is also about the complexity of courts and their operation, which is outside the ability of average citizens. There is one other place where such a justification might exist as well. But in my view it was (is) not my place to make the argument for an opponent.

If we can only get the primary people involved in these discussions to do a little research as you have done, perhaps the discussions could be made more fruitful. Part of the issue here was a failure to respond to direct questions, and avoid side stepping every reasonable and direct challenge as a "straw-man". After reading these forums, the consistent use of that term when corned is getting just a little old.

regards

longwatch

imported post

I had a slight revelation about the subject of sight and self defense. With the prevalence of pepperspray in the world, it would be advisable for the defensively minded to learn how to defend themselve while blinded.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I had a slight revelation about the subject of sight and self defense. With the prevalence of pepperspray in the world, it would be advisable for the defensively minded to learn how to defend themselve while blinded.

You've given it some thought. What kind of approaches have you considered?

Do any of those approaches involve actually shooting a firearm?

longwatch

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

You've given it some thought. What kind of approaches have you considered?

Do any of those approaches involve actually shooting a firearm?
I'd like to seek out some training like this.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6r3C5PoRtnA

As for approaches, yes some involve using a firearm not unlike the ones the blind man in the OP had planned.