• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Called for Jury Duty..

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Oh, my, oh my, oh my. It turns out Thomas Jefferson was a FIJA freak. Look what I stumbled upon, fellas (emphasis by Citizen):

...It is left therefore to the juries, if they think the permanent judges are under any biass whatever in any cause, to take upon themselves to judge the law as well as the fact. They never exercise this power but when they suspect partiality in the judges, and by the exercise of this power they have been the firmest bulwarks of English liberty. Letter to Arnoux. 1789.

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/amendVIIs13.html

FIJA Freak

I believe we call that a kill shot. :)

DCR

Nah, not even

You know that old saw about not trying to teach pigs to whistle? It applies here....

I realized I waded into a morass of folks full self-righteous ignorance and decided to leave them to stew in their own ilk. Good luck with your quest to completely undermine the rule of law and jurisprudence - I have better things to do than give whistling lessons....

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You know that old saw about not trying to teach pigs to whistle? It applies here....

I realized I waded into a morass of folks full self-righteous ignorance and decided to leave them to stew in their own ilk. Good luck with your quest to completely undermine the rule of law and jurisprudence - I have better things to do than give whistling lessons....

Groundhogs are known as whistle pigs.

When alarmed, they use a high-pitched whistle to warn the rest of the colony, hence the name "whistle-pig".

Teddybearfrmhell

i have been following this discourse as a non partisan.... since i basicly dont give a ratsass about the subject but i do have to say that your inability to refute the intent of a founding fathers statement written AFTER the forming of the united states speaks volumes about you. your arguments should be backed by scholarly works and your righteous indignation and name calling do nothing to bolster your credibility. if you are going to surrender, there are better ways to do it than spewing crap as you slam the door on your way out. it is unbecoming of your 3 degrees and your 21 years of service as an attorney. is this how you act in court?

btw, its ok for you to be wrong, it happens all the time..... laws are changed, courts overturn convictions, the supreme court clarifies, upholds or strike down judgement all the time.

Freedom First

Well, I can whistle already. You leapt in here spewing and seemingly angered by the subject matter. Honestly, if you have some information to share, to enlighten us dumb masses, then please share it. I don't claim to know everything (I leave that to others) and I am willing to learn if someone is willing to try to teach.

Is it really "undermining the rule of law and jurisprudence" to call into question an unjust law and to act accordingly? And what has changed since the 1800s that renders the jury unable to see truth and make moral and sound judgements? Are we just that stupid (or perhaps we're just not educated enough?)?

VW_Factor

Gee I don't know, because it's been discussed to
Code:
death on this forum that guns aren't allowed in court buildings, and that as a gun-toting person in the State of Oregon you should have already known that, and that you're a little on the 'noid side for not wanting to be without your precious sidearm for the short amount of time it will take for the attorney's to decide they don't want you on their jury.

As for taking offense- WTF? Would you like turkey bacon on top your haircut ma'am?

Add dumb as it sounds,I was never able to get an answer via email out the couple phone calls. The jury coordinator said during her short instructions. "of you checked in a weapon with the sheriff be sure to remember to pick it up on the way out."

Now maybe she was not really talking about firearms, but I will be sure to ask the sheriff directly when I get a chance.