• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a small car = pain and suffering

The Truth

First, let me say, User is an established criminal defense attorney with over twenty years experience. Anything he says about the law carries a lot of weight.

OK. If I understand you, the issue is "lawfully transported". I am unaware of any VA statutes specifically forbidding transporting a gun concealed. This is not to say one wasn't enacted when I wasn't looking in the last two years. That is to say, my understanding is that 18.2-308 prohibits carrying concealed without respect to where--pocket, car, briefcase, head-dress.

I am unaware of any VA statute that says "as long as it is plainly visible it is being lawfully transported" or words to that effect. Generally, criminal statutes prohibit activities, rather than specify what is approved. That is to say, as long as one does not do what is prohibited, he is legal. An example often used on this forum in the old days was to ask, "what law makes it legal for you to wear that red shirt?"

Thus, as long as my gun is not concealed, I am not in violation of the statute, generally speaking. If its in plain view, its not concealed. If its in the trunk and I'm in the driver's seat, its not being "carried" in the sense contemplated by the statute--accessible for immediate use.

Stupid question - but this exchange has been bothering me for a number of days. Were you simply trying to explain to me how vehicle carry and vehicle transport are different?