• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying while mothering

scouser

A couple of responses to what you wrote and what everyone else has:

-One of the reasons I want to carry, but far from the only one, is a violent and armed ex spouse

-One of the reasons concealed may be better is my children not reporting back to him on me, he has weapons too, but likes to spin everything he can. On the flip side, time and money are in very short supply for me, so taking a class for the permit would be very difficult. Have saved for a firearm, but getting babysitters and actually going shooting? Something I will have to wait and work toward. Yes I've shot before, but it's been 8 years, and while I would like to fire whatever weapon I choose before committing to it, I am going to have to settle for doing as much research as I can and practicing with snap caps in my home after the children fall asleep.

Only you know which method of carry works best for you. I've got a 2 year old son and when I'm with him I'll conceal probably 95% of the time. My attention is taken up with him so I don't personally feel I can devote enough situational awareness to OC while I'm with him. I know true verified stories of OCers being relieved of their firearm are practically non-existant but I don't want to put myself in the situation of being the true verified story. Any other person may feel quite confident in their ability to maintain situational awareness when with their kids and I don't have any argument with that, I just know what works for me. Add to that a wife who hates guns, does not want anything to do with them, does not want to see them as another reason for me covering them up. She knows they exist, knows I have them, even chases me out the house ordering me to go to the range and enjoy myself. So I can understand your feelings of wanting things kept quiet.

If you are comfortable OCing with your kids then go for it, it's your right to choose whether to OC, CC or not carry at all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Only you know which method of carry works best for you. I've got a 2 year old son and when I'm with him I'll conceal probably 95% of the time. My attention is taken up with him so I don't personally feel I can devote enough situational awareness to OC while I'm with him. I know true verified stories of OCers being relieved of their firearm are practically non-existant but I don't want to put myself in the situation of being the true verified story. Any other person may feel quite confident in their ability to maintain situational awareness when with their kids and I don't have any argument with that, I just know what works for me. Add to that a wife who hates guns, does not want anything to do with them, does not want to see them as another reason for me covering them up. She knows they exist, knows I have them, even chases me out the house ordering me to go to the range and enjoy myself. So I can understand your feelings of wanting things kept quiet.

If you are comfortable OCing with your kids then go for it, it's your right to choose whether to OC, CC or not carry at all.

Therein reposes the fundamental principal - the freedom to chose how and when, even if, to exercise their natural right to defend themselves or their loved ones.

That one choses a path different than their neighbor does not make the journey any less meaningful.

Grandpa said "sometimes you gotta do things the way that works best for you." Wish I had told him thanks more often.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I got out. Had I told anyone about it while it was ongoing, I could have, but now that I am out of the relationship, I can't file for a protective order because there is nothing current. I am glad that he has stayed away, albeit on the stern advice of his lawyer, and I don't think he is stupid enough to try anything now, especially because I know the law, who to call, what to do etc., and then I did not. Besides, a gun is not the only way one can hurt someone else.

I am a lawtyer but not an attorney and definately not your attorney. In spite of what the Virginia Bar says I can freely express my opinions about what the law is and how it might be applied. You assume all risks and resposibilities should you choose to do anything based on what I say. Etc., blah, blah, YMMV.

You may want to run this past your attorney, but http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-152.10 only requires a family relationship. Nothing in there about how current or not the two parties have been together. Divorce may preclude yu from seeking an order for yourself, but unless there has been a complete severing of his legal relationship with the kids you can act as "next friend" in seeking an order on their behalf.

Additionally, any violence he might offer towards you endangers your children (loss of parent/collateral injuries) and thus they can be used as the family basis even if you are divorced, so long as he retains at least residual parental rights. It may just take some time to explain this to the judge.

Regardless, I hope you follow through on some of the advice, guidance, suggestions and hints that have been directed your way - you know, the parts that you find helpful.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

I am a lawtyer but not an attorney and definately not your attorney. In spite of what the Virginia Bar says I can freely express my opinions about what the law is and how it might be applied. You assume all risks and resposibilities should you choose to do anything based on what I say. Etc., blah, blah, YMMV.

You may want to run this past your attorney, but http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-152.10 only requires a family relationship. Nothing in there about how current or not the two parties have been together. Divorce may preclude yu from seeking an order for yourself, but unless there has been a complete severing of his legal relationship with the kids you can act as "next friend" in seeking an order on their behalf.

Additionally, any violence he might offer towards you endangers your children (loss of parent/collateral injuries) and thus they can be used as the family basis even if you are divorced, so long as he retains at least residual parental rights. It may just take some time to explain this to the judge.

Regardless, I hope you follow through on some of the advice, guidance, suggestions and hints that have been directed your way - you know, the parts that you find helpful.

stay safe.

+1 I had thought that might be the case but I have been a bit preoccupied to look it up.