• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cicilline and 123 House Colleagues Introduce Assault Weapons Ban of 2015

Whitney

BOHICA Alert

http://cicilline.house.gov/press-re...colleagues-introduce-assault-weapons-ban-2015

WASHINGTON – U.S. Congressman David N. Cicilline (D-RI), along with 123 co-sponsors, today introduced the Assault Weapons Ban of 2015 to prohibit the sale, transfer, production, and importation of new military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines that have become the firearm of choice for many mass shooters in the United States. Cicilline’s legislation also includes new safeguards on the sale or transfer of assault weapons already in circulation.

Since 2011, the frequency of mass shootings has increased by a factor of three. And according to one study, more than half of all mass shooters used an assault weapon, a gun with a military-style feature, or a high-capacity magazine. The sole purpose of these types of weapons is to kill as many people as quickly as possible,” said Cicilline. “It is unconscionable that we continue to allow military-style weapons to be bought and sold while mass shootings are growing more common. This bill is an important first step that will restore some sanity to the way we treat guns in the United States.”

“Congressman Cicilline’s leadership on the issue of gun violence prevention in our communities has been relentless,” said Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. “As we push to expand and strengthen background checks and close the loophole that allows suspected terrorists to buy guns, it is essential that we keep assault weapons out of the hands of those who should not have them.”

“There is no place for dangerous, military-style assault weapons on the streets of America,” said House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer. “Since the federal assault weapons ban lapsed in 2004, tens of thousands of people have been killed by high-powered, high-capacity firearms in communities across our country. We must take action, and I commend Rep. Cicilline for leading on this critical issue of public safety.”

There is a lot more on the house.gov page.
No surprises here.

~Whitney

OC4me

"The sole purpose of these types of weapons is to kill as many people as quickly as possible,” said U.S. Congressman David N. Cicilline.

Can one reporter just ask this silly politician to name a single law enforcement agency whose job it is to kill as many people as quickly as possible? If not, then ask why the ban does not apply to the police?

On the other hand, 53% of Americans are opposed to just such a ban and such legislation, even if going nowhere, just increases the sales of these already popular defensive tools.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
"The sole purpose of these types of weapons is to kill as many people as quickly as possible,” said U.S. Congressman David N. Cicilline.
<snip>.

No ! LOL

I tell antis that I'm lazy ... so if I want to kill a lot of people, I want to do it in the easiest and quickest way.

Their heads explode with anger.

RockyMtnScotsman

Y-A-W-N ... not going anywhere

I'd love to believe that's true. And if the public opinion (where gun bans are losing support at a rapid pace) and the legal standing (which is laughable) were any basis against this having any life, I would agree with you. I'd further like to rest on the fact that "republicans" are in control of both houses of congress - but that gives me no comfort either.

utbagpiper

Banned
Hallelujah!! An early Christmas present from the gun grabbers.

I'm always nervous that the Stupid Party is going to live up to its name and make life too easy on the Evil Party. But it seems the Evil Party has decided to out-stupid the Stupid Party. Seems the Evil Party is forgetting the results of their 1994 gun ban and how that turned over control of the US House to the GOP for the first time in 40 years.

Often times, the gun grabbers manage to hide their intent from the voters long enough to get into office and cause real problems. It is much to our advantage when they are honest and overt about their intentions, doubly so in an election year.

Charles

OC for ME

DeSchaine

(37) The term ‘large capacity ammunition feeding device’—

“(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition

Are they kidding??? A federal ban on these??? The people that sponsored this bill need to be run out of office and fast.

davidmcbeth

Banned
To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes...bill's stated putpose

How can a right be limited?

Lets get this passed and start the re-taking of our freedoms by citizens?

Johnbo

"and other purposes"??

Like for the cattle cars, gas chambers and ovens they have planned for those who disagree with them?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"and other purposes"??

Like for the cattle cars, gas chambers and ovens they have planned for those who disagree with them?
While I understand you chagrin and emotions, such quantum leaps/references to Nazi Germany tactics are not going to be especially well received here, too trite - nothing productive in such statements.

I do applaud your firm belief in RKBA - stay active.

poetdante

Y-A-W-N ... not going anywhere

Wrong!
It may not pass, but how many rights have been taken away under that way of thinking? Freedom requires constant vigilance against evil. No matter how "pro-gun" you think the wave of recently elected Republicans are, or how conservative other members campaigned on, remember this is DC, and sometimes they will serve their own agenda rather than the peoples'. Some folks gripe at Paul Ryan on his recent actions and I won't get into that debate, but the point is people chose him with expectations of doing what he said and pushing for certain values and many people feel he has not done that. It is not that far of a stretch to fathom your elected officials will do the same, thinking "nobody else will vote for this, I'll vote to make so-and-so happy and my constituents won't care as long as this thing never gets signed in as a law, it will get blocked somewhere else".

Contact your rep!
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/