• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cop who shot philando castile acquitted

WalkingWolf

It is very hard to get charges to stick to police officers even when there is rock solid evidence. Some people hate police no matter what they do, and some love police no matter what they do. Juries have a tendency to let people go when rather than get stuck in a hung jury.

countryclubjoe

Doing inappropriate things while carrying a firearm could very well get you shot even if you were carrying said firearm legally.

Reaching for ones permit/license does not seem too inappropriate to most like minded folks. Surely not inappropriate enough, to warrant a death sentence..

In my humble opinion, anyone that supports such a vile murderous act is a pro cop statist and anti citizen.

My .02
CCJ

Firearms Iinstuctor

It was said he was reaching for his firearm not his permit.

THC — an active ingredient in marijuana — was found in Castile’s system during his autopsy good chance he had a buzz on or was high.

I have stopped hundreds if not thousands of cars with firearms in them only came close, very close to shooting a rapist that had one under his car seat and his hand on it. He decided that after a few very tense moments of looking down the barrel of my 870 to very slowly open his hand and move it very slowly out into the open and place both of his hands on the dash.

99.9 percent of the drivers kept their hands in plan sight informed me of the firearm they had. Business was done in a professional manor and we both went on our ways un armed.

For what ever reason Mr. Castile instead of obeying the officer he continued to reach towards his firearm.

We well never know why he did that.

But I have found the people who are under the influence and or crazy some time both a very bad combination. They do not always do the most intelligent things.

The jury found the officer not guilty.

countryclubjoe

THC — an active ingredient in marijuana — was found in Castile’s system during his autopsy good chance he had a buzz on or was high.

I have stopped hundreds if not thousands of cars with firearms in them only came close, very close to shooting a rapist that had one under his car seat and his hand on it. He decided that after a few very tense moments of looking down the barrel of my 870 to very slowly open his hand and move it very slowly out into the open and place both of his hands on the dash.

99.9 percent of the drivers kept their hands in plan sight informed me of the firearm they had. Business was done in a professional manor and we both went on our ways un armed.

For what ever reason Mr. Castile instead of obeying the officer he continued to reach towards his firearm.

But I have found the people who are under the influence and or crazy some time both a very bad combination. They do not always do the most intelligent things.

The jury found OJ not guilt also..

CCJ

WalkingWolf

I saw the video of after the shooting, IMO I would not work with that officer. IMO he was incompetent, we tended to refuse to work with officers that turned into little girls, before, during, or after an incident.

I stopped a lot of people, unarmed mostly that reached for their wallet for ID, I didn't shoot any. I did pay attention to what they were doing. Yes there are risks, they get paid for those risks, flipping burgers is much safer occupation. If (general) you have a tendency to wet your pants anytime people do normal things then quit.

ETA I don't believe the officer that the victim was reaching for a gun. There was no reason to as he was a law abiding citizen by all indications. Hell I knew judges, and COPS who smoked pot, I don't buy the THC as an excuse to his death. The only reason I can see him reaching for his gun is if he was in fear for his life, considering the officer's almost childlike response I would say he would have been justified to be scared.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

"[ ... ]
The acquittal of a Minnesota officer in the death of a licensed gun owner who volunteered that he had a gun seconds before being fatally shot during a traffic stop adds to the worries of African-American gun owners about how they are treated by police and society.
Acknowledging that they have a weapon, they said, can open them up to violence from police, who can then claim they feared for their lives simply because of the presence of a gun, even a legal one.
[ ... ]
Gerry Martin isn’t sure he will ever tell a police officer during a traffic stop that he has a concealed-weapon permit — and possibly a weapon — on him.
[ ... ]"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/17/another-police-shooting-acquittal-worries-black-gu/

Do not speak with a cop, do not have any non-consensual conversation NOT required by law. What one says will be used against your interests.

Police agency's need to stop hiring folks that are scared, simply by the presence of a gun or the presence of a black person. If said scared person fears either, or, they need to find another profession.

How the jurors in this horrible decision will sleep at night, is a mystery to me. They let a deranged vile murderous criminal, continue to walk the streets.

The decision of those jurors, will impact open carry, especially open carry for law abiding black folks. However we and our posterity, in some way will also be affected... Apparently the wearing of a certain type of clothing, gives one the authority, to murder..

In my opinion, a horrible, sad decision, and a disgrace for American jurisprudence..

Be safe one and all, it is now not just the bad guys we need to fear!

My .02
CCJ

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"[ ... ]
The acquittal of a Minnesota officer in the death of a licensed gun owner who volunteered that he had a gun seconds before being fatally shot during a traffic stop adds to the worries of African-American gun owners about how they are treated by police and society.
Acknowledging that they have a weapon, they said, can open them up to violence from police, who can then claim they feared for their lives simply because of the presence of a gun, even a legal one.
[ ... ]
Gerry Martin isn’t sure he will ever tell a police officer during a traffic stop that he has a concealed-weapon permit — and possibly a weapon — on him.
[ ... ]"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/17/another-police-shooting-acquittal-worries-black-gu/

Do not speak with a cop, do not have any non-consensual conversation NOT required by law. What one says will be used against your interests.

Good point.

How many times have we been told by pro-gun, pro-cop people that we should be courteous to the officer and tell him we are armed. Of course, in saying that, my unstated premise was that Castille was not in a must-notify state.

countryclubjoe

Its sad, that being a good fine law abiding citizen, can land said citizen in the morgue..

Tell them nothing, tell them you do not consent to any searches or seizures, informed them that you are going to exercise your 5th amendment right to remain silent.. Then KYMS.. It is none of their business, if you are exercising your 2nd amendment right.. Better to clam up then speak up and be executed.

KYMS.

My .02
Regards
CCJ

hammer6

wait, so you have x-ray vision???

hammer6

ETA I don't believe the officer that the victim was reaching for a gun. There was no reason to as he was a law abiding citizen by all indications. Hell I knew judges, and COPS who smoked pot, I don't buy the THC as an excuse to his death.

was thinking the same thing. the cannabis crowd faces the same as the gun crowd - its scary, harmful, and get you killed - all hysteria preached by ignorant "pant wetters" as you call them.

countryclubjoe

You stopped, hundreds of thousands, Let me commend you, you are in fact, in the hall of fame as a police, revenue generator.
How many of those fine folks, that were simply traveling, did you ticket and detain, simply because you had nothing more important to accomplish?
How many of those, hundred of thousands, were in fact, black folks, or folks of color, that simply just wanted to " travel" an be on their way home?

The appearance of impropriety, speaks for itself.. Any human being, that feels said criminal officer, was justified in his murder of a law abiding citizen, is a petty scared tyrant of the highest order... It is indeed, difficult, to free petty tyrants from the chains they revere..

Please advise us, that you are not fine with, the murdering of law abiding citizens..

Really please.

My .02
CCJ

Fallschirjmäger

You stopped,[sic] hundreds of thousands,[sic] Let me commend you, you are in fact, in the hall of fame as a police,[sic] revenue generator.

As Firearms Instructor's post shows no evidence of having been edited, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the quote is his original, unaltered words. That said, I'm seeing just a teeny tiny difference between the two.

Last edited:

hammer6

The definition of law abiding needs to be defined.

innocent until proven guilty. did the cop do a blood test prior to shooting him to determine he had THC in his system? if so, is that worth killing someone over? there's plenty of states that have legalized medical or recreational use...it's not that big of a deal.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Disobey, or obey, a cop and the possibility of he shooting you increases greatly.

And the odds increase to what.

Number of police[edit]

In 2008, federal police employed approx. 120,000 full-time law enforcement officers, authorized to make arrests and carry firearms in the United States.[45]

The 2012 Bureau of Justice Statistics' Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies (CSLLEA), found there were 17,985 state and local law enforcement agencies employing at least one full-time officer or the equivalent in part-time officers.[46]

In 2008, state and local law enforcement agencies employed more than 1.1 million people on a full-time basis, including about 765,000 sworn personnel (defined as those with general arrest powers). Agencies also employed approximately 100,000 part-time employees, including 44,000 sworn officers.[

Even if they only average one contact with a person a day, one is looking at well over 800,000 for a very rough number contacts with people per day.

Times 365 days that's 292,000,000 persons contacted in a year for a very rough number.

How many wrong full shootings a year even if 100 for a rough number most likely a lot lower as we are still talking about a year ago..

The chance of being wrongfully shot by a police officer is kind of low.

All the numbers are a very rough estimate.

Do your own math if you want to be more precise.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

As Firearms Instructor's post shows no evidence of having been edited, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the quote is his original, unaltered words. That said, I'm seeing just a teeny tiny difference between the two.

Hundred or thousand, or hundred of thousands, the point is clear enough for us all to see, Firearms Instructor is a statist and a hall of fame revenue generator, the facts are in his post..

Again, I am not anti-cop, I am simply pro-citizen, and pro individual liberties!.

My .02
CCJ