• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOJ races to meet concealed carry rules Overtime, employees from other units used

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...0101/112180621/Wisconsin-concealed-carry-guns
Hannah O'brien said:
The Legislature allowed the DOJ 45 days to process applications submitted between Nov. 1 and Dec. 1. The department has 21 days to process applications received after Dec. 1.

As deadlines to process concealed carry applications approach, the state Department of Justice says its resources are being stretched to the limit.

The DOJ has been asking employees to work overtime and is pulling employees from other units to assist the firearms unit, which is responsible for processing the applications.

About 24 people from other units work on processing concealed carry applications at any given time, in addition to the 11 employees in the firearms unit, DOJ spokeswoman Dana Brueck said.

Workers are checking that applications are complete, have related documents and do not note a felony conviction.

The state Legislature provided the department with enough funding to hire one full-time employee and 10 part-time employees, who would work from November to March, to process applications. That wasn't enough, Brueck said.

"We have shifted people to (process applications) from other areas due to the lack of personnel provided … and due to the aggressive deadlines under which we need to process applications for this brand new program," Brueck said.

The Legislature allowed the DOJ 45 days to process applications submitted between Nov. 1 and Dec. 1. The department has 21 days to process applications received after Dec. 1.

During the first two weeks of December, the DOJ received an average of 860 applications each day it received mail. The department had received 55,747 applications as of Dec. 11, Brueck said.

Some of the employees brought in were part of the department's Handgun Hotline unit, which approves the sale of handguns. Gun dealers must call the hotline before they sell a handgun, and the hotline must respond to calls within 48 hours.

Because some people are being asked to assist the firearms unit, fewer employees are available to respond to calls, which have increased by 52.9 percent over last year. November was the hotline's busiest month on record with 10,656 calls — an average of 400 calls per day, Brueck said.

The addition of 11 new part-time employees will help alleviate the strain, Brueck said. The new employees are expected to join the firearms unit from January through the end of June.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
They screwed up, and we pay for it again!

Applications could have been available and they could have been processing them for over a month prior to November 1st, they could have had tens of thousands of them done and ready to mail out on the 2nd last day of October. But instead they drug their feet, whined & cried, tried to change the law and they are now costing us even more tax funds.

I used to back Van Hollen, but not anymore. He refused to make a definitive statement on Open-Carry, he did not stop the Milwaukee PD from wrongfully prosecuting several people including MKEGAL and others. Screw him and his whole f'ed up department right in the old poop-chute with a rusty pipe!!

ccwinstructor

Centurion
You credit him with much more power than he has

Applications could have been available and they could have been processing them for over a month prior to November 1st, they could have had tens of thousands of them done and ready to mail out on the 2nd last day of October. But instead they drug their feet, whined & cried, tried to change the law and they are now costing us even more tax funds.

I used to back Van Hollen, but not anymore. He refused to make a definitive statement on Open-Carry, he did not stop the Milwaukee PD from wrongfully prosecuting several people including MKEGAL and others. Screw him and his whole f'ed up department right in the old poop-chute with a rusty pipe!!

It is always easy to criticise in hindsight. Nearly all applications will be processed in time. Sure, it could have been done better. Sure, we almost got constitutional carry. We got something way better than most states have, after being one of two states that had nothing to allow concealed carry.

Let us try to make lemonade out of these lemons. Inform Van Hollen that we have made progress, but improvements continue to be required. Keep the incremental process going in our direction. It is still a target rich environment. It will be much easier to push Van Hollen the way we want, give him credit for doing what he has done, than to get rid of him and hope for better instead of worse.

We have a great base to build from. It will happen.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Instead of getting the application available early out so that a large number could be issued with an effective date of November 1 the DOJ screwed around making up rules that they had no authority to do. So now our license fee money is being used to pay overtime.

Act 35 quote:

"The department may not impose conditions, limitations, or requirements that are not expressly provided for in this section on the issuance, scope, effect, or content of a license."

If the extra-legal DOJ rules had been allowed to stand, it would have given free reign to an AG like "Single Shot" Doyle or Lautenschlager to make it extremely difficult to qualify for a concealed carry license.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/611116/posts

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

OMG what a bunch of whiners! Let's read the ACTUAL law..... They were not ALLOWED to run background checks until 11/1/11. So...... the most that happened was that they lost ONE day by waiting until 11/2 to get a huge amount of the applications into their office.

Next time, vote for Lautenschlauger and see how she would of screwed up the process. :banghead:

Vote FOR the recall of Walker and see what CCL law Barrett would of signed :banghead:

Did they give us Constitutional Carry? No! Am I upset about that? Yes! Would I vote for a liberal? No.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Thanks Paul. Wisconsin has better law at the start than Arizona had after 12 years.

OMG what a bunch of whiners! Let's read the ACTUAL law..... They were not ALLOWED to run background checks until 11/1/11. So...... the most that happened was that they lost ONE day by waiting until 11/2 to get a huge amount of the applications into their office.

Next time, vote for Lautenschlauger and see how she would of screwed up the process. :banghead:

Vote FOR the recall of Walker and see what CCL law Barrett would of signed :banghead:

Did they give us Constitutional Carry? No! Am I upset about that? Yes! Would I vote for a liberal? No.

It took Arizona 14 years to get to Constitutional carry. Wisconsin has a much better start than Arizona did. I look forward to carrying in Wisconsin on my Arizona permit, I look forward to being able to get a Wisconsin permit, and I look forward to having and enjoying Wisconsin Constitutional carry.

E6chevron

Not very accurate, not helpful to our goals, and crudely worded.