• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gander Mountain Bans NRA

cheezhed

GM says that they should not be expected to allow a political organization to meet at one of its stores.
Yet it can cave to a equally political group like WAVE and expect no backlash. I don't think so.
I will now shop at fleet farm. I used to buy from them but not anymore.

Sig229

For the life of me, I don't know why Gander is still operating. Must be propped up somehow with tax dollars?? I tried spending $1500.00 there in Feb and got a refund before taking delivery of the item. Shame on me for wanting a particular brand at a sale price. Shame on me! After being that foolish, I wrote nearly four page letter to which I received zero reply. Sent copy of letter to corporate after local store blanked me. Guess what? Zero response.

I hear Cabellas is opening this year in Green Bay. Can't wait. I hope they draw the last remaining GM customers away for good.

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to poor service at Gander.

Have I mentioned what a great selection of Scheels hats I have collected?

No kidding.
I went into a Gander Mountain store once and it was the last time.
I remember wanting to buy some .45 Long Colt ammo and they wanted something around $47 for ONE box of regular lead round nose.
And it really amazes me how Gander Mtn. is able to locate and hire the biggest A-holes they can find to work the gun counter.

There must be a A-hole union they hire from.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I used to praise GM, but not in quite a while. Only deals they seem to have any more is on used guns, and sometimes even those are more expensive than a new one.

Ammo is absolutely ridiculous there.

I'm a mile from Gun World in Germantown, and I can't afford to window shop there any more. Especially with a Fleet Farm and a Cabela's right down the road

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...d=273516596235

Wait, isn't this David oldenberg guy the guy who works for Matthews archery, and he posted on the WAVE page that he hates their corporate policy encourages their employees to be armed and he felt it created a hostile work environment?

I think this is the same guy, I know Matthews got a few letters, e-mails, and phone calls from the statement made by one of their employees.

The name sounds familiar, I saw it on the WAVE FB page, I think it might be the same guy.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Wait, isn't this David oldenberg guy the guy who works for Matthews archery, and he posted on the WAVE page that he hates their corporate policy encourages their employees to be armed and he felt it created a hostile work environment?

I think this is the same guy, I know Matthews got a few letters, e-mails, and phone calls from the statement made by one of their employees.

The name sounds familiar, I saw it on the WAVE FB page, I think it might be the same guy.

I thought the same thing Nutz, so we both must be right. Lives in Sparta I believe and doesn't like guns, the people carry them or organizations that protect the right for people to carry guns.

I did a walk through at the Madison Gander in DeForest this weekend, looked rather lonely in the gun area.

PQ36

Alrighty, I came across this thread by doing a Google search and let me preface this post by saying that I'm a GM employee and have been for the past 12 years.

The NRA has used GM facilities in the past without any issue from either Liberals or Conservatives. When it came to light that these "rallies" were to support Scott Walker, GM had to make a business decision based on the good of ALL customers. As a MN based company, they really have no position in what happens here politically.

GM's decision was influenced by one thing....our Customers. Is it fair to ALL that a retail business has to choose a political candidate? Is it fair to fill a store with hundreds of people for a rally while others come in to just shop? Its a store, not an arena.

Before you cast GM off as anti-gun. Let me provide a few facts.

1) GM just built the largest gun store in Wisconsin, full of over 6000 weapons.
2) GM expanded on that GunWorld plan to two other states, MN and FL
3) Principle owner, David Pratt, donates millions per year to the NRA and owns the largest game farm in MS.
4) GM purchases more firearms than any other retailer in the country. GM purchases more firearms than many countries military's do.

I'm a conservative who believes in the same rights as you folks do, thing is, GM shares many of those same values, but when it comes to giving a politician support over those values, you're asking for more trouble than its worth.

thanks for taking the time to read this.

Good thing I wasn't eating or drinking anything at the moment I read that line ^^^ in red. I would have choked, or spit, or both and could have been even more regretful of ever setting foot in GM

That's all.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Keep speading the word on other gun and outdoor forums and Facebook so others continue to be aware that Gander has not apologized to gun owners after caving in to threats by an anti-2A group.

Snake161

Meh, I stopped even darkening Gander's door after the treatment I received from their gun counter jockey's long, long ago. A bunch of guys trying to act like they know the world up and down when it comes to firearms. I was told that a glock is no comparison for a Springfield XD, and that glock's continuously lose their value over time. This among other ridiculous opinion based claims. Not to mention they are asking nearly sticker price for a used sig or glock. Most of all, I just don't like being talked down to and treated as if I know nothing. This just put the icing on the cake for me. For the fact that all these stores, such as fleet farm, gander, and scheels are trying to be so politically correct, really turns me off. The last firearm I bought locally was a year ago from scheels, and even that was a stretch. I basically receive the same reception when I go in there too. The whole "I'm a gun salesmen, what I say to you is law" line of BS. The fact that these retailers are so stuck on selling to you, but could care less if firearms were illegal tomorrow has pushed me to buy from online, and from people who actually care about gun rights. I usually go to single guy gun dealers or sites I know are pro gun. Besides, I can usually get a much better deal that way anyway. Gander is nothing to me in my eyes. I don't consider them even worth looking at when driving past.

AaronS

Well, looks like you willl have no need at all for Gander in Green Bay.

[h=3]Cabela's signs lease for Green Bay store[/h]Cabela’s has signed a lease for its new store near Green Bay, the third Wisconsin location for the hunting, fishing and outdoors retailer. The company announced plans in May for the new store on Highway 41 and Lombardi Avenue in the village of Ashwaubenon. The land is near Lambeau Field and is controlled by the Green Bay Packers. Steve Doran, a principal with Lee & Associates, of Madison, negotiated the lease on behalf of Cabela’s, according to a news release issued Thursday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...waukee+Business+Journal)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Gander should just leave the state!

Interceptor_Knight

... For the fact that all these stores, such as fleet farm, gander, and scheels are trying to be so politically correct, really turns me off. ..
You must be talking about Blain's Farm and Fleet. Mill's Fleet Farm is pro-carry and pro-EBR and handgun. They carry SAIGA shotguns, AKs, ARs, handguns, surplus rifles, surplus ammo, bulk .5.56, etc. They are the best deal in town right now. For many things Cabelas will not be beating them but for others like used firearms, Fleet Farm is not even in that market so it is not an issue.

xenophon

I understand everybody's frustration and wish everybody here the best in their pursuit to bear arms.

Not frustration. It's betrayal. You cancelled an event for the guy that brought in more business with the new concealed carry law. Good law for business. Alienating us, intended or not, is the consequence. If you piss off the likes of WAVE, you aren't losing any business.

Bad move. Gun Worlds or not, it pissed a lot of folks off, and the wrong ones.