• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Thieves are getting smarter

hotrod

If you have seen this before, sorry. It is good information to have.

Below is an interesting brief about gang members targeting known or suspected gun owners vehicles in order to later steal the contents of the vehicle (expecting to find weapons). Criminals can easily do the same thing with our vehicles. Its just another reminder not to leave your weapon (duty carry or other) in a vehicle overnight. From the below, you can see how quick someone can steal your weapon(s). The below is apparently happening now in Texas. It can occur anywhere and anytime.

Warning: Tagging Gun Owners
Posted on January 4, 2012 by Georgetown PD
http://www.gunsite.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/tagged-wheel.jpg

Gun lovers public service announcement:
While I was in a Texas gun store today, my car was tagged on the wheel in the parking lot. The gangs do this on wheels or bumpers at gun stores, shooting ranges, gun shows etc. Later when you are parked at a restaurant, hotel, or other location that’s less well guarded or under video surveillance, other gang members spot the marker and break into the car for a quick gun grab. This is so RAMPANT in San Antonio where we were for a National shoot this summer, the Sheriff of Bexar County came out to brief the 400 participants of our competition. Too bad three teams had already been victimized the first day. This is the first I’ve heard of this in Texas . Please pass this info along to your 2nd amendment list. Daily check you car, truck or motor home for unusual painted dots, marks, check marks or other strange looking symbols that are not normal to your type vehicle. It could prevent you from being a victim of robbery, or even save your life if you catch the thief in the act.
This next comment from a Gun Site instructor:
I don’t know how widespread this is becoming, but the info regarding the NSCA Nationals in San Antonio is correct, as all of us who compete in sporting clays know. Competitors there were having their vehicles marked with a small adhesive dot on the rear license plate or rear bumper, then followed for miles and having their vehicles quickly and efficiently broken in to when parked for lunch etc.
Some crews were working the parking lot at the Nationals itself. 27 high end shotguns were taken there recently. They know when 1400 shooters with high $$ competition guns are in town.
BTW I shot with a young man who was trying out a new gun at the Nationals. He and his father lost all their guns and equipment while making a quick stop for lunch at a BBQ place in Corpus Christi the month before.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Even if the story is BS, the idea behind it is not beyond the realm of possibility. At least it gives us another thing to think about, situational awareness wise.

Last edited:

hotrod

This came from one of the investigators at work. It is being passed in their office. I am going to play cowboy next weekend in Arizona and they heard. They were trying to save me from having any of my guns stolen from my rental car. I still will take this as a possibility and act appropriately. Thanks y'all.

Last edited:

wrightme

This came from one of the investigators at work. It is being passed in their office. I am going to play cowboy next weekend in Arizona and they heard. They were trying to save me from having any of my guns stolen from my rental car. I still will take this as a possibility and act appropriately. Thanks y'all.

Looks like he didn't investigate that one too thoroughly. :lol: