• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in cars

LEO 229

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
True. Moreover, that Streetsweeper is verboten in Virginia anyways.
well, illegal or not, these shotguns can all be fired with one hand, thus imho they meet the definition of a handgun.
Actually. NO. They are NOT designed to be fired with one hand.

Each one has a fore grip installed.

Just like you can use two hands to shoot a pistol.... you could also use one hand to shoot a shotgun or rifle.

They are DESIGNED to be shot with either one or two hands... and it does not matterhow you COULD shoot them.

Hell.. a car steering wheel is designed to be used with two hands..."10 and 2" Remember??? But it is possible to use just one hand or even a knee or no hands at all. :D

N8

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If someone wanted to store a gun in their locked car which is parked on the city streetfor self defence, can it remainon the seatin plain sight and can itbe loaded with out the owner being present? (Strongly not recomended, but is it legal?)

Is leaving a visibleloadedgun on or off your property ina locked car violation of section 18.2-56.2. or would the lock on the car secure the gun even though its clearly visible in the cars window?

mpg9999

imported post

So if having a gun anywhere in the car is considered about your person, what if you have passengers? Are they all now carrying a concealed weapon?

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Hell.. a car steering wheel is designed to be used with two hands..."10 and 2" Remember??? But it is possible to use just one hand or even a knee or no hands at all. :D
Actually since the advent of airbags it's now "8 and 4". The idea is you don't want the airbag to use your arm to break your face. Just tryin' to keep you straight (ouch) :D

Neplusultra

imported post

Here's another question. I no longer have my CCP due to my pending felony charge (long story, it will go away soon). I hadn't needed it in over a year since I've been exclusively OCing. But now when I must leave it in the truck, I have a GunVault Safe, must I unload it and keep the magazines somewhere else in the vehicle. This was never a concern when I had the CCP. I cannot take the ammo with me if say visiting the courthouse. I normally just put the pistol (loaded) with the extra mag I carry in the safe and then I'm on my way. I'm getting the feeling this isn't the thing to do.

The safe is under the rear seat. There is no way to reach it from the front seat, or even the rear seat unless you're sitting on the floor. The only other way to reach it is to be standing outside the vehicle with the rear door open.

buster81

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Here's another question. I no longer have my CCP due to my pending felony charge (long story, it will go away soon). I hadn't needed it in over a year since I've been exclusively OCing. But now when I must leave it in the truck, I have a GunVault Safe, must I unload it and keep the magazines somewhere else in the vehicle. This was never a concern when I had the CCP. I cannot take the ammo with me if say visiting the courthouse. I normally just put the pistol (loaded) with the extra mag I carry in the safe and then I'm on my way. I'm getting the feeling this isn't the thing to do.

The safe is under the rear seat. There is no way to reach it from the front seat, or even the rear seat unless you're sitting on the floor. The only other way to reach it is to be standing outside the vehicle with the rear door open.
I've had this question too. Does ammo need to be locked away from the gun?