• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

IamMick wrote:
Hey kinda an unrelated topic but I joined the Virginia Citizens Defense League but haven't gotten any information or anything from them. Do we get anything or is it like here's 25 dollars and thanks.
VCDL is a little backed up with all of the renewals - you should have your membership card shortly.

Membership does have its benefits - discounts etc available. The primary reason for joining however, should be to support financially the single most effective grass roots group in Va. promoting the 2nd Amendment. They have IMHO done more to clean bad laws off the books and push hard to establish new, good ones.

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"They're pretty effective, I have to give them credit."
Jim Sollo, Chairman of Virginians Against Handgun Violence
[/font]

Maybe we'll see you Lobby Day, Jan. 18, 2010. :)

Yata hey

ODA 226

imported post

PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
I conceal carried in Kuwait City at Starbucks and some Syrianjoint yesterday and nobody noticed. I also so a rich guy with a red Ferrari get out and leave it running while he ran to grab some joe. Yes, this would not take place in many US cities.
Who do you work for and what kindof licensing/ authorizationdo you have to carry off base in Kuwait City?
Its all legal.. just not for the citizens in this country.. Now isn't that something?
Please cite for truth. And who supplied your weapon?

I brought my weapon from home station as did all 13 of us in my office. I have a concealed carry permit issued by the USAF. It Cites USC 1585 and AFI 31-207.

On another note I will goto countries that we are technically not in as my profession requires. I can am required to carry concealed in these countries that we are not in, and work out of a hotel or rented house. Trust me I am okay. Also my job unlike most here often afford me travel that others are not allowed. I am part of an outside the wire profession that attaches to special forces, convoys, red horse, Marines, or could be required to hop from FOB to FOB if managing a DCMA or AFCAP contract.

I am not sure why this is a big deal but my weapon was authorized on NATO orders.
So are you active military or civilian?
No more questions. Too much information and I have no idea where you are going with this. What is the problem there tiger?
I must have hit a nerve. I'm one of those Special Forces guys that you claim to be "attached" to. I'm on GLOBAL. Are you? Do you have SIPR access? Or are you a contractor that is on convoy support? Simple questions. Simple answer on the high side?

IamMick

imported post

Yea I got that much NOVA but it's been 4 months since I joined and nothin yet. I asked the question cause I wasn't sure if anyone on here was a chairman or something.

PointofView

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
No more questions. Too much information and I have no idea where you are going with this. What is the problem there tiger?
Me thinks a nerve has been struck...Is someone doing something illegal? Wouldn't be the first time. Be careful over there, "tiger"... ;)

No, I am fully legal and there are these little things called host nation agreements. I do deal with these in my career field and most do not. Nothing is illegal but I just don't understand the scrutiny? I don't know how I would sneak weapons off base. That just does not make any sense. My trip tickets to leave the installation also state that I am armed. I have a card to give to Kuwaiti LEOS if I were to be stopped. You may not be allowed to carry off base here, but I am. I also hold a congressional warrant that about 1100 people in the military are issued. Perhaps YOU are not afforded the ability to do these things, but others in Kuwait are not even allowed downtown, so I don't know why you would assume to know my limitations.

My career field carries weapons in a concealed capacity as it was mandatory for all those even travelling between bases to carry, let alone interacting in industrial areas of Kuwait City. My job warrants it for self defense and has been approved at a level that includes the Embassay. I am sorry you are an inside the wire type of career field but do not pretend to know regulations that are readily available when you do not. I just think you are trying to prove unprovable information to show off or some crap like that.

Anyone knows that all weapons in the AOR as well as munitions are accounted for, and would not be issued unless a need for them existed. You cannot go check weapons out of an armory just because. So go read some regs and search some host nation agreements which may or not be public information. Do a FOIA to the embassay here if it makes you feel better, but do not accuse me of breaking rules in the AOR because you hang out inside the fence.

PointofView

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
I conceal carried in Kuwait City at Starbucks and some Syrianjoint yesterday and nobody noticed. I also so a rich guy with a red Ferrari get out and leave it running while he ran to grab some joe. Yes, this would not take place in many US cities.
Who do you work for and what kindof licensing/ authorizationdo you have to carry off base in Kuwait City?
Its all legal.. just not for the citizens in this country.. Now isn't that something?
Please cite for truth. And who supplied your weapon?

I brought my weapon from home station as did all 13 of us in my office. I have a concealed carry permit issued by the USAF. It Cites USC 1585 and AFI 31-207.

On another note I will goto countries that we are technically not in as my profession requires. I can am required to carry concealed in these countries that we are not in, and work out of a hotel or rented house. Trust me I am okay. Also my job unlike most here often afford me travel that others are not allowed. I am part of an outside the wire profession that attaches to special forces, convoys, red horse, Marines, or could be required to hop from FOB to FOB if managing a DCMA or AFCAP contract.

I am not sure why this is a big deal but my weapon was authorized on NATO orders.
I must have hit a nerve. I'm one of those Special Forces guys that you claim to be "attached" to. I'm on GLOBAL. Are you? Do you have SIPR access? Or are you a contractor that is on convoy support? Simple questions. Simple answer on the high side?

I am in global, and active duty. No I am not on convoy support as I am a contracting officer (KO for you army folk). Although we do sometimes have to attach to convoys, support red horse, SF etc. I am not attached to SF and never have been. I do work with others who have roamed Iraq in support of all the SF in country.

Only warranted contracting officers can bind the government therefore we have to be the ones physically making purchases, or train FOO's (field ordering officers) in some situations. We even have a special duty that travels with the POTUS to do the same job.

I just wonder why someonethinks they have read all the host nation agreements for the AOR, or act as though they had to scrutinize my actions. People act like they know when they don't.Not sure why, but someone needs a hobby is all. This is directed at the other post.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm pretty sure you're not talking to me, Sport. I'm retired. The last time I was in Kuwait, we had just run Sodom's Republican Guard out of town and left quite a mess on the "Highway to Hell". You may have seen some of the remains when you flew into town. Oh, I'm sorry, you were still in grammar school? Bummer. We did have it a lot easier then.

Don't get your panties in a twist, kid. ODA asked a reasonable question you could have answered with a one-word answer. I'm pretty sure he has more trigger time than you have breathing time. We're all on the same side. Save your teen-angst for the bad guys and come back alive. Don't feel the need to impress anyone here. Manyon here have BTDT.

EDIT (add)

I used to provide security for my unit's KO when he made his last trip "to town" before we deployed. I remember his heavy "suitcases" and watching him carry them (sometimes with an assistant).

It may not be very wise of you to run around like a spook in your line of work. Isuspect you don't have the training or experience necessary to deal with amedium to high threat environment if you do the same as KO's in the other 4 services.

Perhaps you should have a 2 or 4-man security team with you when you carry those heavy briefcases around. In retrospect, that may not be a great idea, either. In your line of work, its a good idea to be invisible, not attracting attention to yourself. I guess someone higher up in the food chain decided it was a good idea to put you in civvies and give you a gun rather than look like a VIP with a security team. Sounds like "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Good luck with that...

45acpForMe

imported post

IamMick wrote:
Hey kinda an unrelated topic but I joined the Virginia Citizens Defense League but haven't gotten any information or anything from them. Do we get anything or is it like here's 25 dollars and thanks.
Go to the http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.htmlwebsite and sign up for alert emails. I had given them my email address but never got added to the alerts until I did it manually.

VCDL is a great organization as far as I have seen. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that there is an organization that I can go to for assistance if I run into anti-2A issues.

PointofView

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're not talking to me, Sport. I'm retired. The last time I was in Kuwait, we had just run Sodom's Republican Guard out of town and left quite a mess on the "Highway to Hell". You may have seen some of the remains when you flew into town. Oh, I'm sorry, you were still in grammar school? Bummer. We did have it a lot easier then.

Don't get your panties in a twist, kid. ODA asked a reasonable question you could have answered with a one-word answer. I'm pretty sure he has more trigger time than you have breathing time. We're all on the same side. Save your teen-angst for the bad guys and come back alive. Don't feel the need to impress anyone here. Manyon here have BTDT.

EDIT (add)

I used to provide security for my unit's KO when he made his last trip "to town" before we deployed. I remember his heavy "suitcases" and watching him carry them (sometimes with an assistant).

It may not be very wise of you to run around like a spook in your line of work. Isuspect you don't have the training or experience necessary to deal with amedium to high threat environment if you do the same as KO's in the other 4 services.

Perhaps you should have a 2 or 4-man security team with you when you carry those heavy briefcases around. In retrospect, that may not be a great idea, either. In your line of work, its a good idea to be invisible, not attracting attention to yourself. I guess someone higher up in the food chain decided it was a good idea to put you in civvies and give you a gun rather than look like a VIP with a security team. Sounds like "damned if you do, damned if you don't". Good luck with that...
Well about the age comment. I am 29 years old and depending on threat levels we are often our only security team. We are trained depending on the deployment and threat level, but in a country where no uniforms are off base unless secure to secure it is not wise for us to be the only folks in uniform. Being sent out of snipers gate at 2 AM to pick up some red ribbon for a DV hospital opening in Iraq makes you question leadership priorities at times. (This is when the TCN workers were sleeping there right outside of base as to not get killed.)

Someone in our chain high up decided condition 4 was a great idea. I suppose they have never been without a security team in some middle eastern ghetto, even in a somewhat safe country. I am not trying to impress anyone but made a joke about being off topic which stirred up this hornets nest / interrogation.

Running around like a spook is required quite often because we are in countries that we are not in. Supporting people who are not really there. We may live and work out of some hotel or a rental house depending on the country.

What was the relevance of the questions as to my legal status of carrying a firearm? Why was my integrity being questioned? Why would I lie to impress people on the internet? I may be young in comparison to many on here, but I am not that young and interested in flexing my E-Peen. I found it to be unwarranted and confrontational. Also giving too much detail would cross the line of opsec violations, hence it became uncomfortable from an information standpoint to field such questions.

ODA 226

imported post

PointofView wrote:

What was the relevance of the questions as to my legal status of carrying a firearm? Why was my integrity being questioned? Why would I lie to impress people on the internet? I may be young in comparison to many on here, but I am not that young and interested in flexing my E-Peen. I found it to be unwarranted and confrontational. Also giving too much detail would cross the line of opsec violations, hence it became uncomfortable from an information standpoint to field such questions.

PoV,

No one has questioned your integrity. Your statements peaked my interest and I asked for clarification, especially when you mentioned carrying a concealed weapon in Kuwait. It sounded like you were carrying alone and off-duty which didn't make a lot of sense to me, based on my 3 years of in country/ theater experience. I could have misread what you were trying to convey.

Further, when you dropped the "Special Forces" bomb, it peaked my curiosity even more; I spent 19 years in Group.

I sent you a PM with my NIPR address so you can contact me without fear of not knowing who I am. My SIPR address is .smil. mil. Drop me a line when you can.

ECB

imported post

IamMick,

I'm the VCDL Norfolk gunshow coordinator. Sorry to hear about your difficulty with membership.

As volunteers we sometimes do get behind. That said, we still want to get it right.

PM me your name, city, when, where joined and I'll ping the membership person to help resolve this for you.

Ed B.

45acpForMe

imported post

OC-ed to the gun show yesterday and then on to Chipotle and Farm Fresh. Sadly no hooters waitresses showed up while I was at Chipotle like last time after the gun show. :-( I noticed a woman at Chipotle that went into heigtened-awareness as I came through the door. I was expecting her husband to turn around and peek at my strongside but he either was too interested in his burrito or she had him trained well, ("don't turn around...")

I stopped by the VCDL table to say hi and saw another OC-er with his new 10mm purchase. I was a little disappointed in this gun show but my wallet didn't get much lighter because of it.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I almost came to the gunshow, but knew I didn't have the $$$ to get anything, so I didn't bother. I'm debating getting rid of some guns to buy a match .22 (or two) for my youngest kids. the CMP (www.ODCMP.org) has some really good deals on match rifles.

Anyone interested in an H&K USP 45, left handed holster & 3 mags?

Bridget and I OC'ed a few places this weekend with no :shock:. We went to Bass Pro and I hardly ever get any looks, but she usually does. We both carryJim's cards (no, I haven't ordered the new ones yet :(), and it seems she looks forward to sharing them with people. She gets more chances toshare when people give her dirty looks about OCing. She gets more attention than the ugly old man.

Bridgetlooks like she's about 14 years old and her Glock looks pretty big on her 5' frame, but shehas poise and is well-spoken. She's a good representative for OC.

Sailorcurt

imported post

IamMick wrote:
Yea I got that much NOVA but it's been 4 months since I joined and nothin yet. I asked the question cause I wasn't sure if anyone on here was a chairman or something.
I'm one of the staff bloggers. You can get the information put out in the alerts from the blog, or sign up for e-mail alerts or subscribe to the alerts RSS feed here

As far as the slow response, please keep in mind that, unlike organizations like the NRA and even the anti-gun astroturf groups, all VCDL activists are volunteers. There is no paid staff and we all have jobs, families and other responsibilities. With that said, VCDL is generally more responsive than that so if you'd like to shoot me an e-mail at blog@vcdl.org with your particulars, I can forward it to the membership people to ensure that you didn't fall through the cracks.

Thanks for your support and I hope you'll forgive the hiccup.

Sailorcurt
VCDL Executive Member and staff blogger

Grif77

imported post

Sorry to hear about IamMick's experience with joining the VCDL. I had a great experience... I had all my membership info within 2 weeks of signing up.

darthmord

imported post

Last night I OC'd (and CC'd) at Walmart on North Military @ Janaf. Had a previous bad experience with riff-rafff while exiting the store late at night during Christmas season last year. Not wanting a repeat performance, I opted for OC.

I was amazed at the number of people (customers and Walmart staffers) who continuously circled me. After we had been there for about 20 minutes (waiting on a stocker to bring out a TV from their storage area), someone apparently had informed the Securitas guard who wandered over my way. He struck up a conversation about wishing he could exercise his 2nd Amendment rights while on duty but he wasn't allowed. I told him I understood as I could not on my job either. I then was able to pay for my TV andhe wandered off.

I think we either got a good door receipt checker or enough of us have blown them off that the guy who wanted to check our receipt just wanted to see that we *had* a receipt.

All in all, a relative non-event... in Norfolk of all places. No one made a stink. No one insisted I cover it up.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I've OC'd in Gloucester WallyWorld many times. Of all the Walmarts, I've gotten the LEAST attention there. Bridget and Tara have fun counting the number of people wearing camo / blaze orange and how many may have been extras in Deliverance. Never a shortage of banjo players in upper Gloucester County.

aquinob1

imported post

Very first open carry experience today;withmy brand new .45 :cool:. First stop was the Wawa on Shore Drive (just past Litte Creek base); had to go inside to pay with cash. An officer was also inside and saw me but didn't say anything at all! (my heart was racing though).

Then made it home and checked the mail box and had a few neighbors do double takes. Went to Wal-Mart on Mil Hywy with my Dad for some shopping. Place was packed and I gotmany manyof looks. No one said anything thought. Upon check out, a chick behind me asked what was my rate (was wearing a Navy sweater) and I said YN and her guy friend was like "man the paper pushers are packing serious heat". Then she asked if I had a license and I said no. She went on to try and "lecture" me about not having one and having my pistol out in the open and I could get in trouble especially being in the military yada yada yada.

I went on to educate HER on my 2nd amendment right and the fact that I open carry for the very reason that my permit hasn't gotten back yet. She seemed pretty interested. Turned out to be a good conversation.

Even after I get the permit, I plan on OC'ing when I can.